Jump to content
Phishing Emails & YouTube Messages - Fake Giveaway Read more... ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shayannike.ps3

SSD .. which ones better?NVMe or SATA???

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hey they there so I was planning on upgrading my rig and adding an SSD to it. My motherboard is a Z97 gaming 7 and was wondering if I should opt for a 2.5” inch SSD or a PCIe NVMe SSD. Though I’m not completely sure whether my motherboard supports it. Any thoughts? And also what would be a raid function that would be good if I had a 3TB HDD to go along with it. So my options are the 860 and the 960 evo. Which one should I get ? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Shayannike.ps3 said:

Hey they there so I was planning on upgrading my rig and adding an SSD to it. My motherboard is a Z97 gaming 7 and was wondering if I should opt for a 2.5” inch SSD or a PCIe NVMe SSD. Though I’m not completely sure whether my motherboard supports it. Any thoughts? And also what would be a raid function that would be good if I had a 3TB HDD to go along with it. So my options are the 860 and the 960 evo. Which one should I get ? 

A full speed M2 slot is 32Gb/s is needed for nvme drives full speed, otherwise you can just go with m.2 SSD


|King Of The Lost|
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

NVMe is faster, but it has lower capacity. Unless you're doing things that involve a large amount of moving very large files, video editing, database work, and things of that nature you'll probably get more use out of the increased capacity of a SATA drive.


¯\_(ツ)_/¯

 

 

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-3820 | Corsair H100i | ASUS P9X79-LE | 16GB Patriot Viper 3 1866MHz DDR3 | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | 2TB Hitachi Deskstar HDD | 1TB WD Black HDD | Corsair CX750M Fractal Design Define R5 Windows 10 Pro / Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon

 

Laptop:

Dell XPS 15 9560 4K Touch | Intel Core i5-7300HQ | 12GB Generic (Crucial?) 2133MHz DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 1050 | 256GB Toshiba M.2 NVMe SSD | Windows 10

Link to post
Share on other sites

NVME SSDs are hands down faster than SATA ones. 

 

Of course few gamers and casual users will see a benifet of NVME drives in their daily workloads. 

 

I used to have a desktop with an NVME drive, and I am currently typing on a system with a SATA SSD and it's just fine. It takes maybe 3 seconds longer to boot but all the programs seem to open up at the same time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
8 minutes ago, CUDAcores89 said:

NVME SSDs are hands down faster than SATA ones. 

 

Of course few gamers and casual users will see a benifet of NVME drives in their daily workloads. 

 

I used to have a desktop with an NVME drive, and I am currently typing on a system with a SATA SSD and it's just fine. It takes maybe 3 seconds longer to boot but all the programs seem to open up at the same time.

The thing is price is the same for the same amount of storage

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Shayannike.ps3 said:

The thing is price is the same for the same amount of storage

If your system can support an NVME drive, then just buy that. It's a newer technology.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×