Question on Machine Learning / Deep Learning field

Hi P

I enrolled my self in a computer science program and I've been learning the basics of python on my free time (by reading the official guide), as my first programming language.

I'm well aware that I'm a complete beginner, I don't even know what's the name of the field that focus on machine learning / deep learning, I just have one question:

Is Machine / Deep learning a good field to pursue in terms of employment? (years down the road, I'm not going to try and learn it right now), that field sounds pretty cool, but there are other careers that also sound cool and graduates end up flipping burgers.

Thank you

There are plenty of jobs around in tech, and having a solid grasp of machine learning (either the mathematical basis for it, or frameworks like Tensor Flow or Pytorch) will only open more opportunities. It is a very hot topic at the moment, though to remains to be seen how long that will last.

HTTP/2 203

10 hours ago, Hi P said:

Is Machine / Deep learning a good field to pursue in terms of employment? (years down the road, I'm not going to try and learn it right now), that field sounds pretty cool, but there are other careers that also sound cool and graduates end up flipping burgers. 

Generally, in order to pursue machine learning, one needs to have a solid grasp of a few parts of computer science in general. So setting that as a goal certainly won't hurt you.

"AI", as the news calls it, is quite the buzzword lately, but it has been around for some time and will probably be around in some form for a long time, especially once powerful enough computers start fitting in small things.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

Machine learning is maths. We use computers to facilitate the work but all you need is knowing the basics of 1 programming language that is either very strong or has framework for machine learning already available for it. The rest is all maths.

If i had to say the easiest domain where you can see machine learning used or helpful is probably manufacturing.

They build and sell things. Machine learning is very well suited for that domain and these kind of businesses are everywhere.

If i had to use blatant examples of manufacturing type in the recent technology development i would state Molding companies, 3d printing services, tooling companies.