Computer behaving weirdly.

HarKatt

Disclaimer: This post isn't really about Programs, Apps and Websites but I couldn't find any fitting topic.

So anyways, I have a very old custom built computer with a 750 Ti and an Intel® Core™ i5-750 and about 6 moths ago I upgraded from a hard drive to a ssd and it was at that point all hell broke lose. It started off with some dll files not getting installed when installing games so I had to install them seperately and a LOT of issues with Discord. At first I thought it had something to do with having an operating system on the new ssd and on the old hard drive so some files gets installed on the hard drive instead of the ssd, so I tried wiping the hard drive but when I booted the pc I still had the option to boot on the hard drive. So then I booted the computer on the hard drive and from there I tried the "wipe the computer but keep my files" option when wiping a computer (bad idea) and after that, I tried booting on my ssd only to find that some of my games and programs had been deleted as well as the standard Microsoft programs like Groove Music and VLC. (A part of Discord got deleted too which actually fixed it somehow.) But no big deal I thought, i'll just open up the Microsoft Store and download them again. Microsoft store was also deleted and when downloaded from the Microsoft website it wouldn't start so I had to download some shitty mp3 player called VirtualDJ 2018. So after that I thought, ok, i'll just unplug the damn hard drive. Turns out the bios was installed on the hard drive. I tried to move the bios to the ssd and then unplug the hard drive, and it booted. With the same problems. So I plugged the hard drive in and Windows was not happy about me unplugging the hard drive so it did some weird reserved partition only for Windows stuff but the driver letter was still D so everything that I had set do install on the D drive got installed on that small partition which filled up in a day so I had to do some more fixing and removed the weird partition and the issue dissapeared. Then came the october update and most problems actually went away. The microsoft store was back and I could install VLC and Groove Music, but then I had to install the microsoft Media Feature Pack but it just says Searching for updates on this computer so something is still wrong.

TLDR: Having some issues after upgrading from hard drive to ssd and the computer is behaving overall weirdly. 

BIOS on the harddrive? I think you mean the windows boot manager.

I think the easiest solution (and probably fastest) woudl be to save al important data to an external drive and installing windows from the ground up new.

Thats what I would do.

Maybe its not the fanciest solution of all time but at leas after that you know that you should not have any problems in the futture. (besides hardware problems ^^)

On 2/9/2019 at 3:51 PM, Chaftalie said:

BIOS on the harddrive? I think you mean the windows boot manager.

I think the easiest solution (and probably fastest) woudl be to save al important data to an external drive and installing windows from the ground up new.

Thats what I would do.

Maybe its not the fanciest solution of all time but at leas after that you know that you should not have any problems in the futture. (besides hardware problems ^^)

Thanks for the tip! I'm kinda new to all of this computer building so I don't really know what everything is yet but yea I'll do that if the problem gets more serious. Thanks again.