Cleaning 2 week old thermal paste?

Go to solution Solved by Cyberspirit,
3 minutes ago, ShadowN96 said:

its just the paste that comes with the stock wraith stealth

You'll be fine. Just get a paper towel and pour some on it then wipe the paste off. You don't need to worry about the sides just the top of the IHS.

Once you wiped it all down just wait for a little and then apply the new paste.

I built my pc 2 weeks ago and decided that I wanted to change from the stock cooler.

I dont have isopropryl alchool only 96% ethyl alchool. 

Would it be fine or should I just use a paper towel or microfiber cloth?

Just now, ShadowN96 said:

I built my pc 2 weeks ago and decided that I wanted to change from the stock cooler.

I dont have isopropryl alchool only 96% ethyl alchool. 

Would it be fine or should I just use a paper towel or microfiber cloth?

Any type if spirit alcohol works, the idea is that you kill the bacteria with it. 

22 minutes ago, LaptopNerdi7U said:

Any type if spirit alcohol works, the idea is that you kill the bacteria with it.

what

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 minutes ago, Spotty said:

what

Alcohol vaporizes really fast so you dont need to wait for the water on the cpu to vaporize and also it kills bacteria that would be bad for even spread across the IHC. Or take note from Radeon VII and use a thermal pad kappa. 

2 minutes ago, LaptopNerdi7U said:

Alcohol vaporizes really fast so you dont need to wait for the water on the cpu to vaporize and also it kills bacteria that would be bad for even spread across the IHC. Or take note from Radeon VII and use a thermal pad kappa. 

Again... what

Isopropyl alcohol is used as a solvent to more easily remove the thermal paste; not to kill any bacteria on the IHS.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

its not the end of the world if you dont have any, it just might take a little longer to wipe it all off, depends on the paste but the more gooey ones still wipe off after a while

CPU: i5-4690k @ 4.4 GHz | RAM: 12GB DDR3 1333MHz | GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 580 4GB 

You should pick some isopropyl alcohol instead but, if you can't be bothered then, you are fine with 96% ethyl alcohol, afaik.

Just give it a minute or two to evaporate and make sure that you remove any lint that might be on the CPU.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

The only reason isopropyl alcohol is recommended is because it's a solvent that evaporates quickly and is relatively easy and inexpensive to obtain. Even water would be perfectly fine as long as you were sure none was still there when you applied new thermal paste.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

18 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Again... what

Isopropyl alcohol is used as a solvent to more easily remove the thermal paste; not to kill any bacteria on the IHS.

I stand corrected

1 hour ago, LaptopNerdi7U said:

the idea is that you kill the bacteria with it. 

Really...?!?

My Rig

HP Omen 16 | 13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-13700HX | 16 GB DDR5 RAM | NVIDIA Geforce RTX 4060 8 GB | 512GB PCIe Gen4 NVMe TLC M.2 SSD |

16.1-inch (40.9 cm) 1920 x 1080 165Hz | RGB Backlit Keyboard |

35 minutes ago, DakotaWebber said:

its not the end of the world if you dont have any, it just might take a little longer to wipe it all off, depends on the paste but the more gooey ones still wipe off after a while

3 minutes ago, ShadowN96 said:

You'll be fine. Just get a paper towel and pour some on it then wipe the paste off. You don't need to worry about the sides just the top of the IHS.

Once you wiped it all down just wait for a little and then apply the new paste.

17 minutes ago, Tech Guru said:

Really...?!?

i think I heard it either from LTT or GN but im not sure 

Just now, LaptopNerdi7U said:

i think I heard it either from LTT or GN but im not sure 

Never mind buddy just kidding...!

My Rig

HP Omen 16 | 13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-13700HX | 16 GB DDR5 RAM | NVIDIA Geforce RTX 4060 8 GB | 512GB PCIe Gen4 NVMe TLC M.2 SSD |

16.1-inch (40.9 cm) 1920 x 1080 165Hz | RGB Backlit Keyboard |

2 hours ago, ShadowN96 said:

It's not "just" a paste. It might contain bacteria as other said, so you need alcohol to kill them evaporated..

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

5 minutes ago, _Hustler_One_ said:

It's not "just" a paste. It might contain bacteria as other said, so you need alcohol to kill them evaporated..

I've never heard people mention bacteria when removing a paste. Most use alcohol because it gets the paste off easily and it evaporates very fast making things easier.

You could just dampen some paper towel with water and remove the paste with that but, it's much easier and faster with alcohol.

3 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

I've never heard people mention bacteria when removing a paste. Most use alcohol because it gets the paste off easily and it evaporates very fast making things easier.

You could just dampen some paper towel with water and remove the paste with that but, it's much easier and faster with alcohol.

you haven't caught it yet?

I'm sorry for the bad joke.. Move on!

OP you can use any type of alcohol, I even use a medical one with 70% and have happy temps..

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

Don't forget to vaccinate.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

8 hours ago, Plutosaurus said:

Don't forget to vaccinate.

I don't want my CPU to get autism. /s