What is principal S-1-15-3-1024-3635283841-2530182609-996808640-1887759898-3848208603-3313616867-983405619-2501854204

Hello all, 

I was trying to change file directories to my hard drive as I have run out of space on my SSD and it is full of important programs that need to be quick to launch and do stuff like Inventor and Photoshop. But as I was checking to make sure everything worked, I went into the WindowsApps folder to make sure that when I changed the destination for new apps, that it goes into a folder, as I double clicked it came up with that I don't have permission to access this folder, even tho its my personal machine and im the admin, so I click on it and it goes through the whole process of going you don't have the right permissions, and as I look at what principles might be blocking me, hoping its just a windows thing, I am across this principal. I don't know what it is but I can change anything about it and even delete it as if it is windows, so I windows support search it and it comes back with someone who had the same problem, and Microsoft replying "oh it might be a virus or malware". im confused because I have Norton because safety online and because I go to font and other sights for materials and stuff like that, I wanted something a little more. Norton didn't come up with anything on my last full system scans that happen every couple of weeks to make sure I don't get anything that I don't want. so I decided to install Malwarebytes and try them, because I have run into malware before and this fixed it up on my laptop. its still going currently going through my 4tb of data, so who knows how long it will take. but down to the question, can anyone shed some light on this, like other forums just have people using command line to go around the problem, but I want to know if it is actually a problem, or is it just a windows thing. 

Cheers

• 1 year later...

yeah ok ignoring all the security issues and other snafus of using norton instead of defender, while I agree with the prior two. the last one for general security defender is just fine if windows is one of ur os's... not near enough, but if your doing anything where you need more security like lets just say red hat jobs, then you already know what to do, built or have the software, to search for known definitions,. Having more then one antivirus program creates nightmares.(then again even 1 can) and if windows is one of the os's working in a waterfall set ups thats fine as well or as a gen. users for a primary os then once more just use defender.....

nvm adhd got off track WOT i know, my bad.,

The question was, is that a security risk to give access to that unknown user of said name in permissions, I do believe...

I found this page cause I have a similar problem with the same permission, with only a few numbers being changed. Not posting the number on the forum due to possible risks there but... can any1 answer his question plz, I cant find where it comes from.. need this thread to live now myself, as a programmer and official security admin for several companies. Just went away for a vaca, my roommate changed routers without asking, and borrowed my comp... and now my comp is riddled with crap so trying to sort through it. I have sensitive data on it... help. plz.... fml I hate being the 1 to ask.

-edit added 2, 4/12/20 0407

Ive found references of similarly named permissions granted to both malware and it being standard. The name on his closely matches mine though so I'm still hoping for a reply.

*** Thread locked ***

Please don't revive old threads.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv