Phishing Emails & YouTube Messages - Fake Giveaway Read more... ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Motion

RAM/RAM Speed

Posted · Original PosterOP

What would be the best RAM for my pc if so far I have a Asus Maximus vi Hero Motherboard and an i5 4670?

The most cost effective would likely just be 1600 CL9 or 1866 CL10 on the used market.

Laptop: Latitude E4310 w/ i5 580M, 8GB RAM, 120GB 840 EVO, Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 wireless card, Windows 10 Pro x64

Main PC: sleeper Dell on profile boi

Zeus: 2x 1266MHz PIII, Supermicro P3TDDE, 1x 512MB PC133 ECC, Asus Radeon HD 3650 Silent, 30GB DiamondMax Plus 8 + 80GB IBM DeskStar, Windows XP Pro SP3

20 minutes ago, Motion said:

What would be the best RAM for my pc if so far I have a Asus Maximus vi Hero Motherboard and an i5 4670?

That motherboard supports up to DDR3-3000 with an overclock. I'd just get the fastest DDR3 you can find for the price, but don't go out of your way and spend extra money for higher clocked RAM, you won't see a huge difference. As @flibberdipper said, 1600 and 1866 are going to be some of the most common to run across so that's likely your cheapest bang for your buck option.

4 hours ago, ThisIsCheez said:

That motherboard supports up to DDR3-3000 with an overclock. I'd just get the fastest DDR3 you can find for the price, but don't go out of your way and spend extra money for higher clocked RAM, you won't see a huge difference. As @flibberdipper said, 1600 and 1866 are going to be some of the most common to run across so that's likely your cheapest bang for your buck option.

4 hours ago, flibberdipper said:

The most cost effective would likely just be 1600 CL9 or 1866 CL10 on the used market.

So would this be what id want? https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/maximus-vi-hero/CT4514898

10 hours ago, Motion said:

It'd be fine albeit pretty expensive for just an 8 gig stick with absolutely no frills.

Laptop: Latitude E4310 w/ i5 580M, 8GB RAM, 120GB 840 EVO, Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 wireless card, Windows 10 Pro x64

Zeus: 2x 1266MHz PIII, Supermicro P3TDDE, 1x 512MB PC133 ECC, Asus Radeon HD 3650 Silent, 30GB DiamondMax Plus 8 + 80GB IBM DeskStar, Windows XP Pro SP3

9 hours ago, flibberdipper said:

It'd be fine albeit pretty expensive for just an 8 gig stick with absolutely no frills.

What do you mean frills?

40 minutes ago, Motion said:

What do you mean frills?

Basically what @ThisIsCheez said above. And also like he said, buying DDR3 new really isn't the smartest thing to do unless you find a pretty killer deal.

56 minutes ago, ThisIsCheez said:

Extra features. It's a bare stick of RAM with no heatspreader or flashy logo. I wouldn't buy DDR3 new unless you find a really good deal on it, it's pretty overpriced to buy it new.

Here's a 16gb(2x8gb) HyperX Fury kit used for $70. Just search around on eBay and find a good deal.

Ahh okay, thank you for linking me this :D