Is using a PC instead of router a good idea?

bololabich
13 hours ago, KarathKasun said:

I can get 400mb/s across the house, through walls even.  Not sure what problems you are having with AC bandwidth.

Yea I'm "connected" at 400mb/s as well, but actual speeds drop. 5ghz degrades with each wall, 2.4 is much better suited for range.

1 hour ago, Mikensan said:

Yea I'm "connected" at 400mb/s as well, but actual speeds drop. 5ghz degrades with each wall, 2.4 is much better suited for range.

No, I am connected at 867mbit.  I get transfer rates between 400 and 600.

• 2 weeks later...

So I've gotten Mi Router 3G and installed OpenWRT alongside some basic services. Now what I want to do is set up an FTP server and OpenVPN server.
Starting with FTP, here is an error I get in filezilla

0p3POaQ.png

and my config file

CoOnZxx.png

The drive is fat32 and works fine via samba. How can I fix it? 

I wouldn't hold your breath about getting 130Mbit off 4G, especially if its the cheapest network for the data allowance.

Mine is rated up to 150Mbit but I get anything from 2Mbit to 55Mbit depending on other users due to it being the cheapest network for data.  Never gotten close to 100Mbit let alone 150Mbit.

In comparison another network that is not so generous with data can hit 100Mbit.  You very much get what you pay for on cell networks due to their very limited bandwidth per cell.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

3 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I wouldn't hold your breath about getting 130Mbit off 4G, especially if its the cheapest network for the data allowance.

Mine is rated up to 150Mbit but I get anything from 2Mbit to 55Mbit depending on other users due to it being the cheapest network for data.  Never gotten close to 100Mbit let alone 150Mbit.

In comparison another network that is not so generous with data can hit 100Mbit.  You very much get what you pay for on cell networks due to their very limited bandwidth per cell.

1TB of 30 to 150Mbit/s of 4G is still better than up to 20Mbit/s of unlimited copper or radio connection though. Fiber connection outside block of flats is still a wet dream not even mentioning old housing areas, just like mine, where your avg resident is 60 years old and does not use the Internet.

22 hours ago, bololabich said:

1TB of 30 to 150Mbit/s of 4G is still better than up to 20Mbit/s of unlimited copper or radio connection though. Fiber connection outside block of flats is still a wet dream not even mentioning old housing areas, just like mine, where your avg resident is 60 years old and does not use the Internet.

Again it depends on how heavily used the cell is.  Its certainly not better if you end up stuck on single-digits with 2000ms ping which I have seen mine do on a bad day.

Fortunately I just use it as a backup or for my phone when out of the house, so its not as critical as my main connection.

All I'm saying in bear in mind that any radio network runs the risk of being significantly less reliable than even the old copper telephone network.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7