Jump to content
Phishing Emails & YouTube Messages - Fake Giveaway Read more... ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hip

Can "Energy Saving/sleep" mode be used instead of "Shutdown"?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hey guys,

 

I wonder if my hardware will get any issues when I just put my computer into "Energy saving" mode and let it sleep and instead of shutting it down.

The reason why I ask this is because I had a workplace and we were not allowed to shut down the computers in the full week. 

There was a reset once a week on sunday.

 

Thanks in advance!


itcoin accepting Computer Store in Europe: caseking

itcoin accepting VPN services: NordVPN

Use Brave or tor browser to surf through the web! :x

 

Have you tried dark mode yet? "usernamee" > "Theme" > "nighttheme"

Link to post
Share on other sites

No it won't damage anything, but with modern hardware and ssds there isn't really a reason to not shutdown a pc unless something is actively running. boot uptime is really a non issue now 

 

sleep will use less power, shutdown less again 


Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Hip said:

I had a workplace and we were not allowed to shut down the computers in the full week. 

this is likely due to rolling updates or needing them on to accept updates if required.

 

Unless your PC is doing something overnight, just shut it down

Link to post
Share on other sites

No, windows 10 uses hybrid sleep anyway when you chose shutdown


i5 6600k i7 7700k @ 4.8 GHz | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | Asus Z170-A | G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB ddr4-3000 | Samsung 950 pro nvme | EVGA Supernova B2 850W | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | cheap ram | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | XFX Radeon HD 6850 | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
6 hours ago, Cyracus said:

No, windows 10 uses hybrid sleep anyway when you chose shutdown

What does this mean?


itcoin accepting Computer Store in Europe: caseking

itcoin accepting VPN services: NordVPN

Use Brave or tor browser to surf through the web! :x

 

Have you tried dark mode yet? "usernamee" > "Theme" > "nighttheme"

Link to post
Share on other sites

i5 6600k i7 7700k @ 4.8 GHz | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | Asus Z170-A | G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB ddr4-3000 | Samsung 950 pro nvme | EVGA Supernova B2 850W | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | cheap ram | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | XFX Radeon HD 6850 | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Hip said:

Hey guys,

 

I wonder if my hardware will get any issues when I just put my computer into "Energy saving" mode and let it sleep and instead of shutting it down.

Of course not.  That's the way newer Windows PCs were designed to work.

 

The only computer that I actually "shut down" is my laptop.

 

The PC I'm on right now has been "shut down" for about a year.  It just goes to sleep every night.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
On 2/9/2019 at 7:02 PM, jonnyGURU said:

Of course not.  That's the way newer Windows PCs were designed to work.

 

The only computer that I actually "shut down" is my laptop.

 

The PC I'm on right now has been "shut down" for about a year.  It just goes to sleep every night.

So I can just put it into sleep mode and wake up with no problem instead of shutting down every time, yes?


itcoin accepting Computer Store in Europe: caseking

itcoin accepting VPN services: NordVPN

Use Brave or tor browser to surf through the web! :x

 

Have you tried dark mode yet? "usernamee" > "Theme" > "nighttheme"

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Hip said:

So I can just put it into sleep mode and wake up with no problem instead of shutting down every time, yes?

Of course.  That's what it's made to do.  That's what PCs were made to do ever since the AT standard became the ATX standard.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2019 at 4:52 PM, it_dont_work said:

shutdown a pc unless something is actively running. boot uptime is really a non issue now 

 

On 2/8/2019 at 4:58 PM, Arika S said:

Unless your PC is doing something overnight,

 

I pretty much always have a lot of things running, in progress, etc. on my laptop.  Having to shut down is a pretty big ordeal, and restoring my workspace is even worse.

That is especially true after the type of shutdown that's responsible for a good 3/4 or so of the last year or so's worth of shutdowns.  (IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, for example.)

Ideally I wouldn't have to shut down or restart (even for an OS update or motherboard/PSU/Boot SSD swap, other than hibernation) any more frequently than a server I read about online with 24 YEARS continuous uptime.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

 

 

I pretty much always have a lot of things running, in progress, etc. on my laptop.  Having to shut down is a pretty big ordeal, and restoring my workspace is even worse.

That is especially true after the type of shutdown that's responsible for a good 3/4 or so of the last year or so's worth of shutdowns.  (IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, for example.)

Ideally I wouldn't have to shut down or restart (even for an OS update or motherboard/PSU/Boot SSD swap, other than hibernation) any more frequently than a server I read about online with 24 YEARS continuous uptime.)

I hate myself for using this meme, but.....

 

weird flex but ok...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Buy VPN

×