OnePlus 6T, OnePlus 5T, Mi A1 found among smartphones emitting high amount of radiation

Watts per Kilogram?  Kilogram of what?  Kilogram of phone?  Kilogram of head?  If so, who's head weight are we using?  Lol.

I really hate it when units of measure are not specified completely.  

I'm an Electronics tech and HAM radio operator, I regularly operate MF/HF in the 400-500 watt range, VHF/UHF in the 40-60 watt range,  and I'm usually less than 10ft from antennas while I'm doing it.  I'm not worried about the 500mw of UHF that phones put out.

Main Rig:

Case: Lian Li Lancool Mesh RGB

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 

Cooler: CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 240

MB: MSI B550 Gaming Pro Carbon 

Ram: Gskill DDR4 3600 x 32GB 

GPU: Asus Arez Strix Vega 64 OC

PS: Seasonic FOCUS Gold Plus Series SSR-750FX

SSD1: Crucial P1 1TB NVME

SSD2: Adata SU800 512gb M.2 Sata

HDD: Hitatchi 2tb 7200RPM + 3x 2TB WD Passport USB 3.0

Monitors: AOC C24G1

Keyboard: Cheap Blue Knockoff Mechanical

Mouse: Uhuru Gaming Mouse

Current Vintage Equipment:  Please ask me about it, I love to talk old tech!
IBM Thinkpad 390, IBM Aptiva A12, IBM PS/2 Model 25-004.  Compaq Contura 4/25C, Presario 7596
Asus P5A-B Socket 7 Box, Tandy 1000RLX-HD "B" & 1200-2FD, VIC20, Zenith ZFL-181-93, Packard Bell 300SX.

Apple II/gs, Mac Plus x2, Mac SE x2, Performa 450

Hm, so aka the phones with the best and worst signal strengths respectively? :P

I mean really, if they're not going to say specifically which frequencies they're looking at (or what type of radiation really, but I think it's safe to assume it's EMR in this case and not nuclear like alpha particles or something) then this data is both useless and makes them look stupid.  Obviously phones give off and receive radiation, it's called wifi, bluetooth, the cellular connection, etc.  Joking aside, the more or less you have of that literally is just how good your signal is, so unless certain devices are putting off a lot more of a kind that isn't useful for anything and could otherwise be avoided, the "high levels" are unavoidable and not even necessarily a bad thing.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

lol at all these people who apparently think that using a cell phone is like walking around holding a brick of weapons grade plutonium to your head...it's a shame that physics classes aren't mandatory...

5 hours ago, zombienerd said:

Watts per Kilogram?  Kilogram of what?  Kilogram of phone?  Kilogram of head?  If so, who's head weight are we using?  Lol.

I really hate it when units of measure are not specified completely.  

I'm an Electronics tech and HAM radio operator, I regularly operate MF/HF in the 400-500 watt range, VHF/UHF in the 40-60 watt range,  and I'm usually less than 10ft from antennas while I'm doing it.  I'm not worried about the 500ma of UHF that phones put out.

Per kilogram of death radiation, obviously :P

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

So this is actually ionizing radiation or is this another one of those "aahhhhahhh visible light is causing cancer! I better wrap a blindfold around my head so I can't see the light that's causing me cancer" stupidity?

On 2/8/2019 at 12:26 PM, Ithanul said:

You know...I keep getting a bit iffed over them leaving this part out -> non-ionizing

never mind, it's one of those "visible light is causing cancer" stupidities so we're all good to use smartphones as much as we want without any cancer side effects.

31 minutes ago, ElfFriend said:

So this is actually ionizing radiation or is this another one of those "aahhhhahhh visible light is causing cancer! I better wrap a blindfold around my head so I can't see the light that's causing me cancer" stupidity?

never mind, it's one of those "visible light is causing cancer" stupidities so we're all good to use smartphones as much as we want without any cancer side effects.

Don't blow it off completely though - non-ionizing radiation can still mess you up.  That's what your microwave uses to heat up your hot pocket. 

Now, we've only been using radio waves for interesting purposes for about 120 years.  For most of that time, the majority of humans were not absorbing RF radiation at a close range.  It's only been since the mid 90's when cell phone usage picked up.  30 years is not quite long enough for "We're certain".  It's barely long enough for "we're kinda pretty sure" that holding a 500mw transmitter against your brain ain't gonna cause any funky stuff if you do it for a few hours a day every day for a lifetime.

I mean, it's **probably okay**, but there's always going to be doubt.  

Personally, I hate that they're putting X and K band radar systems in cars now for collision avoidance - not only does that crap set off my radar detector, but as a former Navy Radar Technician, I know what those frequencies (Even at low power levels) can do to your eyeballs and testicles.    Now you're strapping equipment to cars that could theoretically put off much more than expected power levels, and no regular maintenance to check it.  

Some of those cars (GMC/Chevy Equinox/Arcadia/Suburban / etc  - Newer Audi's) will set off my radar detector at 3/4 of a mile behind them.  That's about the same distance it gets set off by actual police radar.  That's too much power to be blasting everyone around you 24/7 imo.  Others (of the same model) don't set it off until I'm within 100 feet or so (What I'm imagining is the proper distance / power level).  I really doubt anyone is doing a power output check on these things at dealer services.

Main Rig:

IBM Thinkpad 390, IBM Aptiva A12, IBM PS/2 Model 25-004.  Compaq Contura 4/25C, Presario 7596
Asus P5A-B Socket 7 Box, Tandy 1000RLX-HD "B" & 1200-2FD, VIC20, Zenith ZFL-181-93, Packard Bell 300SX.

11 hours ago, zombienerd said:

body weight.

Details separate people.

17 hours ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

body weight.

That can't be right.

Most phones I'm aware of do not pass 700mW peak envelope power.  There are examples of older mobiles going as high as 2W, but never more.

If it were 1.6w/kg of body weight, that would mean a phone would be around 120-180+ watts.

Doing more research, it appears that the FCC measurement requirement states "phones sold must have a SAR level at or below 1.6 watts per kilogram taken over the volume containing a mass of 1 gram of tissue that is absorbing the most signal"  - So they use a single gram, and scale from there. 

That makes a bit more sense.  The original article should include that tidbit lol.

They must use a measuring device to pinpoint the SAR of each device instead of just going off of it's actual power output, as antenna placement, size, polarization, and other factors could play into a much higher SAR on one device vs another that have the same output power.

Main Rig:

On 2/8/2019 at 11:08 AM, Tech_Dreamer said:

So what do you guys think about this? post your comments & thoughts down below, comment on whether you were surprised to see the results coming from the major retailer so high & so so low on the list, especially one plus.apple & Samsung having contrasting difference.

Don't use a banana phone and you're good.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

On 2/9/2019 at 4:06 PM, zombienerd said:

Don't blow it off completely though - non-ionizing radiation can still mess you up.  That's what your microwave uses to heat up your hot pocket. 

Now, we've only been using radio waves for interesting purposes for about 120 years.  For most of that time, the majority of humans were not absorbing RF radiation at a close range.  It's only been since the mid 90's when cell phone usage picked up.  30 years is not quite long enough for "We're certain".  It's barely long enough for "we're kinda pretty sure" that holding a 500mw transmitter against your brain ain't gonna cause any funky stuff if you do it for a few hours a day every day for a lifetime.

I mean, it's **probably okay**, but there's always going to be doubt.  

Personally, I hate that they're putting X and K band radar systems in cars now for collision avoidance - not only does that crap set off my radar detector, but as a former Navy Radar Technician, I know what those frequencies (Even at low power levels) can do to your eyeballs and testicles.    Now you're strapping equipment to cars that could theoretically put off much more than expected power levels, and no regular maintenance to check it.  

Some of those cars (GMC/Chevy Equinox/Arcadia/Suburban / etc  - Newer Audi's) will set off my radar detector at 3/4 of a mile behind them.  That's about the same distance it gets set off by actual police radar.  That's too much power to be blasting everyone around you 24/7 imo.  Others (of the same model) don't set it off until I'm within 100 feet or so (What I'm imagining is the proper distance / power level).  I really doubt anyone is doing a power output check on these things at dealer services.

Mess you up, sure. Give you cancer, almost certainly not.

Fake News!

But yeah, a lot of things emit radiation. Big differences are the amount and Ionizing vs Non-Ionizing. So far there has been nothing to worry about and I doubt there will be anytime soon. Things such as CRTs and Bananas emit more radiation than you'd ever get with a smartphone.

Regardless, this radiation measurement is probably a good way to measure phone efficiency; if your phone is wasting battery just outputting radiation, it's probably not too efficient. Looking at this chart, it appears the top offenders of radiation are Snapdragon chips, and the lowest offenders are Exynos chips (including the Note8 since it's likely the Exynos International model because Germany).

Honestly, unless a specific cell phone is outputting a significantly high, abnormal amount of Ionizing radiation, there's nothing to worry about. This is the same scary info that makes people freak out about 5G's 60GHz, when if it was an actual issue we'd all be dead from SETI, Pay Per View, or Amateur radio by now

image.png.2494804cad7822a07152da1543bdb463.png

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

On 2/8/2019 at 4:26 PM, Ithanul said:

You know...I keep getting a bit iffed over them leaving this part out -> non-ionizing

every time someone tells me not to stand in front of the microwave or I'll get cancer I want to punch them in the face.

1. It's not ionizing radiation

2. The wavelength of microwaves is 10cm and the holes in the door are like 1mm. that's a 10.000-fold reduction in radiation outisde the microwave compared to the inside.

Hell, eating a banana is way more radioactive then standing a meter in front of a microwave. Ignorant people are the problem of this world. 

Corsair 600T | Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.5GHz | Samsung SSD Evo 970 1TB | MS Windows 10 | Samsung CF791 34" | 16GB 1600 MHz Kingston DDR3 HyperX | ASUS Formula VI | Corsair H110  Corsair AX1200i | ASUS Strix Vega 56 8GB Internet http://beta.speedtest.net/result/4365368180

On 2/9/2019 at 9:58 PM, imreloadin said:

lol at all these people who apparently think that using a cell phone is like walking around holding a brick of weapons grade plutonium to your head...it's a shame that physics classes aren't mandatory...

Wouldn't help if they where in a lot of cases. A lot of people are really poor at remembering facts and figures.

5 minutes ago, CarlBar said:

Wouldn't help if they where in a lot of cases. A lot of people are really poor at remembering facts and figures.

True, try as we might we just can't fix stupid...