OnePlus 6T, OnePlus 5T, Mi A1 found among smartphones emitting high amount of radiation

Mobile-Cover.jpg

The German Federal Office for Radiation Protection (Bundesamt für Strahlenschutz) (try pronouncing that in your first try)   have a comprehensive database on most of all mainstream smartphone on radiation emission data that are popularly available in the market , according to their research the data suggests that the popular Xiaomi & One plus & several others were found to have a high level of radiation emission from their products, Although to be clear there isn't an international set standard for a widely accepted  an absolute "safe level",  it is generally considered around 1.6 W/Kg of body weight for the majority as a unofficial safe standard, the companies usually huddle up around this value as a standard to pass certifications that clears them for sales.

According to the sites data chart , the budget friendly flagship set of phones were caught up in their higher emission category, which was a surprising thing. Just to note , all smartphones have to pass certification , so it must come under a certain generic value of less than 1.6 W/Kg , to compare Apple usually have a SAR value of around 1.4W/kg under their headset emission standard for most of their product in general which is safe, reason i say this is because this is high but don't get misguided by the news title as dangerously high, like the old alcatel/Motorola days. it isn't that high,  it is high, but under a "safe value" high in a way. if that makes sense . but still , look at the chart below & see the top 2 set having passed beyond that safe mark.

SAR-value-phones.jpg

The Specific Absorption Rate (SAR) is a number that measures the rate at which energy is absorbed by the human body when exposed to radio waves. In mobile industry the specific absorption rate to measure the energy absorbed by a particular mass of human tissue(usually near head), within a certain amount of time. We measure SAR in units of power per mass (W/kg).

An important note is that , SAR value differs region to region & accordance with the states/nations official set rule per country basis & manufacturers tune it accordingly to skip & ease out of it just to sell the product & have the product perform efficiently depending on region & signal availability,  it's basically pretty volatile in terms of having a standard, since there is no strict universal set standard.  this mean something & nothing at the same time,  a single SAR value does not provide sufficient information about the amount of RF exposure under typical usage conditions to reliably compare individual cell phone models. Rather, the SAR values collected by the FCC are intended only to ensure that the cell phone does not exceed the FCC’s maximum permissible exposure levels even when operating in conditions which result in the device’s highest possible, i depends & varies according to situation. phones condition, signal range & strength , near tower emissions energy etc, a lot of things come to play to gauge it accurately .

The data shared by Statista shows that the criteria was set to current smartphone models as of December 10, 2018 from vendors such as Apple, BlackBerry, Google, HTC, Huawei, LG, Motorola, OnePlus, Samsung, Sony, Xiaomi and ZTE. The tests were reportedly conducted while calling with phone placed on ear. The results are nothing but shocking with Xiaomi’s Mi A1 topping the list as smartphone that emits the most radiation.

(demo video on how the SAR value is observed in the industry) ^^^

RGgukq5E6HBTMBcjinkaDRdRHgkKgmdnfAHC1G5p

SAR values are an important tool in judging the maximum possible exposure to RF energy from a particular model of cell phone, a single SAR value does not provide sufficient information about the amount of RF exposure under typical usage conditions to reliably compare individual cell phone models. Rather, the SAR values collected by the FCC are intended only to ensure that the cell phone does not exceed the FCC’s maximum permissible exposure levels even when operating in conditions which result in the device’s highest possible – but not its typical - RF energy absorption for a user.

mobile-phone-radiation-300x179.jpg

Radiation absorption across certain age group according to an old research ,  the difference is due to tissue condensation difference.

(ignore the killer tag, it was the only stock pic i could find showing how radiation surrounds us)

Electromagnetic-Radiation.jpg

So the question , where's Samsung? did they deliberately omit them from the above list?  Turns out they surprisingly had some of the lowest radiation emitting handsets available in the market right now , consider that , after exploding phones & what not , it was actually one of the safest in terms of radiation emission ,surprisingly well below the current standard kept by the industry.

chartoftheday_12841_the_phones_emitting_

So what do you guys think about this? post your comments & thoughts down below, comment on whether you were surprised to see the results coming from the major retailer so high & so so low on the list, especially one plus.apple & Samsung having contrasting difference.

Source

courtesy of @Egg-Roll status update.

Main source:

https://www.statista.com/chart/12797/the-phones-emitting-the-most-radiation/

https://www.gizchina.com/2019/02/08/oneplus-6t-oneplus-5t-among-smartphones-emitting-high-radiation-as-per-a-report/amp/

https://www.statista.com/chart/12841/the-phones-emitting-the-least-radiation/

https://www.bgr.in/news/xiaomi-mi-a1-oneplus-5t-xiaomi-mi-max-3-and-oneplus-6t-top-list-of-phones-emitting-most-radiation/

Xiaomi probably.

992a19b9c63afa8fdac3f96aa12c0cbe.jpg

Details separate people.

4 minutes ago, PrinceNorris said:

Radiation from Xiaomi devices is coming from cheap 'cancer' plastic so this graph is biased.

so? the radiation is still there and still being emitted from the phone, doesn't matter where it come from just that it's there and it is at the manufacturers fault.

3 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

image.png.0544303978f64cd5bcf907707ea962aa.png

Who uses their phone for calling people anymore?

exactly, i call people on my laptop of my desktop on discord most of the time and when i do call on my phone its video calls and not by my ear XD

You know...I keep getting a bit iffed over them leaving this part out -> non-ionizing

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

4 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

You know...I keep getting a bit iffed over them leaving this part out -> non-ionizing

Still though. Like most things science we never know for 100% certainty but than again we could argue that we don't know 100% dem gud mc nuggets don't cause cancer either.

16 minutes ago, Orcblood said:

Still though. Like most things science we never know for 100% but than again we could argue that we don't know 100% that dem gud mc nuggets don't cause cancer either.

True, but if folks want to get up in arms about cellphones and this type of radiation.  Then they better get up in arms over microwaves, power lines, visible light (yep light), lasers, IR, and probably a few others I can't recall off the top of my head.

The average human is exposed to ionizing and non-ionizing through out the day, from natural sources to human made sources.  An individual can't get away from it.  Just don't aim to go around getting overdoses of the high-level output ones  (like don't go standing in front a direct shot satellite).

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

33 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

I know, it's almost like people forgot how radios work.

Indeed, oh here is more info if folks want to understand how much SAR output is even required to get near 1C increase of temperature.

A SAR of 4 W/kg is associated with a 1°C rise in humans. In practice a digital phone will only cause a temperature rise of a fraction of a degree which is unlikely to be noticed compared with the normal daily variations in body temperature.  At most from what I can read on some studies and safety standards, it can maybe promote already malignant cells, not cause them (non-ionizing can't remove or add electrons, ionizing does that).

10 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

Indeed, oh here is more info if folks want to understand how much SAR output is even required to get near 1C increase of temperature.

A SAR of 4 W/kg is associated with a 1°C rise in humans. In practice a digital phone will only cause a temperature rise of a fraction of a degree which is unlikely to be noticed compared with the normal daily variations in body temperature.  At most from what I can read on some studies and safety standards, it can maybe promote already malignant cells, not cause them (non-ionizing can't remove or add electrons, ionizing does that).

Hell the heat from the batteries/cpu on these things will warm you up before the friggin cell signal radiation will.

Eh. At least I know my phone's pretty safe. Kinda surprised the Pixels are so high.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Lemme put my HEV suit
image.thumb.png.8b7d432aa8c79cc0e2941f5ecd39c7da.png

Jokes apart, the EU regulates a maximum of 2.0 W/kg as the maximum limit allowed and I'm totally fine with those smartphones as long they don't exceed this value, even if I don't take traditional calls at all

But I also think this also depends on the frequency used, in Europe I know traditional calls are using 2G even if you are under 3G or 4G if you don't have VolLTE (And I observed this while calling the data would switch to EDGE, I do not own VolLTE with my provider) in theory VolLTE should be the least-harmful one, I don't know if a matter of frequency should change the SAR level, but typically 2G has a much more wider phone coverage (I assume the power used to transmit will be higher especially if you are far from a radio cell)

Idk about 5G I don't even know if it is even used for calls

And also, mobile phones in the past imo were be using a LOT of more or power to transmit than today regulations, and no apocalypse happened

Edited by Guest

This isn't news though. At least in Europe, Chinese are now known for their high SAR, but as OP mentioned, the EU has many regulations on that.

I guess i'm happy i still use an S7 edge? 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

2 hours ago, PrinceNorris said:

Radiation from Xiaomi devices is coming from cheap 'cancer' plastic so this graph is biased.

i'm sorry how is that biased again ? does that cheap plastic come separately when you buy their phones? 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

1 hour ago, Haaselh0ff said:

EVERYONE, QUICKLY!! DON YOUR TINFOIL HATS!!! PROTECT US FROM THE RADS!

But, that's been proven to possibly make things worst (sh*t manufactures say hat one)

3 hours ago, Ithanul said:

Then they better get up in arms over microwaves, power lines, visible light (yep light), lasers, IR, and probably a few others I can't recall off the top of my head.

Yea a lot of fear mongering going on, but when was the last time you stuck your head right next to any of those things while there where on? Personally I don't think cellphones output enough to harm the average person but I still think kids under 13 (possibly 15/16) shouldn't have phones for telecommunication, texting etc fine. Reason being is due to lack of knowledge on how it can effect their brains development and future live abilities, it's also why I don't like it when kids fall asleep as shown in the picture right beside a tablet or anything producing radio waves from Wi-Fi either.

Think of it like this people like Linus and I we've only been around cellphones for around 15 years direct contact stuff (about half of our lives so far, but with a mostly/fully developed brain). Where as his son who is under 10 will now by the time he's Linus's age will have been around them for about 25 years, no one can say what those 10 extra years will do (or won't) to a kids ability to learn/function in society in the future, those kids have not been out in the wild long enough yet nor in the numbers either. We could be perfectly fine or in 15-25 years find out we have raised a generation of brainless zombies, with how current kids are acting I'm leaning to the latter...

I've never seen anything to buy into this cell phone radiation cancer stuff. To me its like the anti-vax movement. Nutters!

But at least if I am wrong, I buy Samsung and will survive. AppleCare Cancer Treatment coming 2030! ?

Yeah. Non-ionizing radiation at this level is very unlikely to cause issues. Like if this causes issues, then human beings should never be out in the sun. Ever. 

Because solar radiation is such a ludicrously higher level of infrared emissions than cellphones are (by power, sunlight is 50% infrared, aka ~700 W per m^2). Let alone ignoring the effect of ionizing radiation ofc.

Oh and humans shouldn't wear any thing other than white hardhats as trapping our own heat causes much more than a 1°C increase in temperature. (A controlled study under sunlight showed a 5C temperature increase with a black hardhat compared to a white one)

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

More reason to get a Oneplus 6 over a 6T

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Just so you know

We are practically surrounded by radiation. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

2 hours ago, D13H4RD said:

Just so you know

We are practically surrounded by radiation. 

We are, but I have very "strong" coincidental "evidence", that, at least personally, makes me question what is generally known about ionizing vs nonionizing radiation.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.