AMD Delays Navi to Q4 2019

Orcblood
29 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Honestly if prices were better I would have brought Nvidia, both have bad options relative to my current situation so they both get nothing. There's no major revelation there.

Aw come on, you can't tell me that 16GB RX 570 isn't a fantastic option in your case.

Am I making any logical points? Nope, not at all, other than I'm surprised there hasn't been a post about it.

6 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

Aw come on, you can't tell me that 16GB RX 570 isn't a fantastic option in your case.

Rookie numbers mate, rookie numbers. Give me 64GB VRAM or I'm not buying. In fact forget the GPU altogether, just give me the VRAM by itself.

6 hours ago, leadeater said:

Nvidia has what? Nvidia always had compute capability along with 99% market control of the API used for compute, CUDA.

ROCm exists because AMD failed to address CUDA, it made no difference how good AMD cards were at it or that they had some cheaper cards with the full compute capabilities if you didn't have a development tool framework that allowed the use of that hardware. Worlds best engine is no good without a vehicle to put it in to.

Gaming sector didn't not use compute or avoid it they just used what Nvidia gaming hardware could do and a lot of the GameWorks features leverage compute capabilities, in a very specific Nvidia optimized way.

I think the thing most users don't get is that while AMD tends to have some brilliant engineers, they've spent far too long just throwing tech out there and hoping it sticks. Nvidia is really a Software Engineering company, and you can see why they keep entrenching themselves further. As the Console Wars have always shown, "best tech" basically never wins; easiest to understand for Management at other companies wins. 

AMD really just needs to sink another 50 million USD per year into very targeted Software Development, but that takes having RTG in something other than a mess. Wattman really should be running smooth as silk, they really should license DDU tech if they need it for "Clean" Installs, they badly need a Developer Suite Plug-in system for the most common engines (Unreal & Unity), every Indie Dev house should get a care package of a Ryzen + RX Vega 56 system + access to some Developer Information Program for basic support, and the most popular games should be getting really specific extra Driver Development work. (I know they get some extra effort, on the last point, but they need to engage the Engine Developers differently.)

AMD's biggest saving graces are that Intel can't actually murder them in x86 without causing itself too many problems and that Nvidia eventually pisses off every partner that it ever has, eventually leading them to working with AMD. (AMD's Semi-Custom Division could be renamed "Formerly Abused By Nvidia Sales".) Everyone in the industry really makes decisions along those lines. 

I'm honestly laughing at thet first couple pages of this thread where the mouth breathers are whining because RUMORS on clickbait websites didn't end up being true.

What a surprise.

What does windows 10 and ET have in common?

They are both constantly trying to phone home.

12 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Radeon VII was on & off the schedule at least twice in the rumor mill during 2018. They were mostly correct. It was off, then put back on when the schedule got strung out for Navi. This was always a card they could release, it was just a matter if they felt the need to. (People forget this is exactly what the 2080 and TI class cards are like as well.)

Oh yeah, could and felt if they needed to. They did need to bring something new and push the Radeon brand. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |