Spotify banning ad blockers

dylanthompson2
Just now, Sauron said:

I'd say not infringing the law is a pretty big difference. 

i didn't say there are no differences. i said that the end result is the same. 

She/Her

7 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

i didn't say there are no differences. i said that the end result is the same. 

I told you why it isn't though:

9 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Also, unlike with piracy, the artists themselves are paid by spotify for the license to their music regardless of whether people use an ad blocker or not - so morally speaking, not paying spotify but paying the artist is better than paying neither by pirating the music.

and of course piracy may result with you getting sued and having to pay a fine. Ad blocking can't (not that it should).

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Looks like I'll just be making dummy accounts and listening to my playlist from my main account so the main doesn't get banned.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

25 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

I can understand why people would use adblockers though, not everyone has unlimited data, and if the ads weren't so intrusive and annoying,or would screen the ads to make sure it isn't malware there wouldn't be such a problem with people wanting to block ads on spotify or youtube.

At least in FInland Spotify free is more like listening to a radio that plays the songs you choose and while desktop Spotify can have popup ads, mostly the ads are between the tracks. I can only recall one or two malwares that were in mp3-files and those were very targeted to WMP and those were mostly because WMP is very dumb thing and if mp3 includes an URL in somewhere, WMP tries to open it, and while Spotify ads are mostly audio ads they probably use the same propietary format as Spotify normaly does, so the chance to get malware from that is very slim.

Also if you don't have unlimited data and Spotify ads might make you go over your limit, is Spotify really the service for you? Like I use Spotify a lot and it's very small percentage from my total datausage (around 2% from 50-900GB/month) I do have premium because I get annoyed by the ads, but 10€ to Spotify is not that bad.

1 hour ago, mxk. said:

Looks like I'll just be making dummy accounts and listening to my playlist from my main account so the main doesn't get banned.

Or, you could do the morally acceptable thing and either allow the ads or pay for Spotify.  You don't have a right to listen without ads.

5 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Or, you could do the morally acceptable thing and either allow the ads or pay for Spotify.  You don't have a right to listen without ads.

I'm trying to save my money for a new computer right now and don't have a job (I'm almost 16, but not there yet). I know exactly what I'm doing, and if I serve the consequences, then it's my fault. Please don't give me shit for it when I know what choices I'm making.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

20 hours ago, Bcat00 said:

No shit they will ban people for that, surprised they waited so long

If you think its okay to use adblocker there then you've thought wrong, that's no different from piracy if you want to get down to the technical terms of their service

i nearly pissed my pants at how stupid this comment is

Adverts are not a method of payment, they don’t guarantee sales, they don’t even guarantee views therefore your not steeling a sale therefore no theft.

8 hours ago, mr moose said:

Why is it that people think this stuff should be free anyway?   Just because it's on the internet doesn't mean you have a right to it without condition.

Because the industry got greedy and pushed as much crap out as they could now music is so ubiquitous that people don’t want to pay for it. Not to mention its kind of a victimless crime, I mean its hard to feel for artists when they piss money up the wall so blatantly.

Fuck Spotify people will just go back to pirating shit again so……….I use an adblocker because…..well fuck ads. There annoying intrusive and in some cases malicious. I mean have you tried watching you tube with ads, its obnoxious, 20 min video and 3 fucking ad breaks….then you wonder why people ad block

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

13 hours ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

The problem with youtube is there's still no youtube premium for India, youtube Red never came here and that thing is now called premium, so even i want to pay for a ad free service, there isn't, they know the amount of people here in India, they can make 10 folds by ads than giving out premium services as no one would buy them, so they don't.

have i mentioned spotify is still not available in India? 

I think Google are trying to push more into India. I'ts obviously a very large market so there are challenges that come with the territory. I'd say the Indian presence on YouTube has definitely improved as Google encourages more local creators. T-Series is Indian record label and YouTube channel. The growth on that channel is unheard of. But you're not wrong, their efforts could be improved in India. Surprised to hear about the lack of Spotify too...

I'm more interested in how they detect said adblockers.

Are they scanning apps on your PC? (I hope not). How would they go about detecting something like a pihole?

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

37 minutes ago, Terryv said:

Are they scanning apps on your PC? (I hope not). How would they go about detecting something like a pihole?

I would assume "this client isnt sending back the signal every x minutes of play time that an add is being played" or something to that degree. No need to "scan" a PC, just confirm the client and account attached to it, is preforming within the the parameters it should be.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

31 minutes ago, Terryv said:

Not really that hard. They only need to know when ad is send to your device and how long that ad is and if your device requests a track before the ad has played, there you go. Also ads are send to devices after 1-5 tracks or after a track that ends after X minutes has passed, so they very well see when ad should be playing in your device without even checking with your device is the ad really playing. Second way could be to add "call-home" function after the ad has played and so know if your device hasn't played the ad. But there's probably a ton of ways to know what is playing on your device and what isn't even without scanning anything on your device.

1 hour ago, Terryv said:

javascript

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

1 hour ago, ZacoAttaco said:

I think Google are trying to push more into India. I'ts obviously a very large market so there are challenges that come with the territory. I'd say the Indian presence on YouTube has definitely improved as Google encourages more local creators. T-Series is Indian record label and YouTube channel. The growth on that channel is unheard of. But you're not wrong, their efforts could be improved in India. Surprised to hear about the lack of Spotify too...

that's becasue a 2 years ago there were only plans for 1Gb 4g Data per month, that all changed one day when a company called Jio suddenly gave 1 Gb per day plans and 45 GB per month plans out of nowhere, suddenly within 2 months, all the major companies like vodafone were shitting pants as droves of people were shifting to Jio by the day, its unheard of because we were in the mercy of the greedy networks and this one guy changed everything over fucking night. that's the reason T series has the number of people it does.

wanna hear something else? half of India doesn't even speak Hindi nor have subbed to T series, and its divided over many south Indian language regional channels, but youtube sat on its ass and never gave us youtube red. and premium is still isn't available here, on the plus side you watch all the marvel movies on youtube for 1.40$. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

4 hours ago, mxk. said:

I'm trying to save my money for a new computer right now and don't have a job (I'm almost 16, but not there yet). I know exactly what I'm doing, and if I serve the consequences, then it's my fault. Please don't give me shit for it when I know what choices I'm making.

I sympathize with your monetary situation, but if you're blocking ads, you're freeloading.  Your desire to listen without ads doesn't override the right of Spotify and musicians to be compensated for their work.

And you may know what choice you're making, but that doesn't mean it's the right choice, does it?

Why use an adblocker in the first place? The ads are only like, 30 secs long each

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

1 hour ago, jaggysnake57 said:

lol

if you want my money then its my way

deal with it

And if you don't abide by the terms of THEIR service that YOU agreed to, then you don't get to enjoy THEIR service.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 hours ago, jaggysnake57 said:

Because the industry got greedy and pushed as much crap out as they could now music is so ubiquitous that people don’t want to pay for it. Not to mention its kind of a victimless crime, I mean its hard to feel for artists when they piss money up the wall so blatantly.

I'm sorry but that is no excuse to demand someone provide you a service on your terms.  I demand that you write me webpage for my charity, but I am not going to pay you because it's my opinion you will just piss the money up a wall.

2 hours ago, jaggysnake57 said:

Fuck Spotify people will just go back to pirating shit again so……….I use an adblocker because…..well fuck ads. There annoying intrusive and in some cases malicious. I mean have you tried watching you tube with ads, its obnoxious, 20 min video and 3 fucking ad breaks….then you wonder why people ad block

So if you can't have content free without the ads you'll fucking steal it.  I don't care if you think it is a victimless crime, the fact is people work hard to provide a service and the attitude that people are entitled to it unconditionally is pathetic.

If the ads are stupid dangerous or annoying then either don't use the service or go and buy the fucking CD or pay for the ad free version.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

10 hours ago, Mihle said:

Spotify is better than g music. It's easy to tell. Many people forget to change to high quality in the settings tho so.....

Also, churches are generally terrible for playing  music in anyway and unless you set up your own speakers usually have bad speakers, or small speakers that is played at so high volume that you get lots of distortion.

I'll have to check our Spotify settings then. I just patch in the guy's phone. Also our sound system is quite the opposite of. Costed us 12K (US) and we bought good stuff. I tested it with one of my favourite songs:

9 hours ago, mr moose said:

Not the churches I install P.A's in. :D  They are my favorite installs because by their very nature (always using lapel mics all over the building, some old timers don't want to see the speakers or mics and a funny layout to boot) they are very hard to get the sound right.   But I test all my systems with Black sabbath, Ramstein and Vivaldi.

I desgined and built our system myself. Two QSC K12.2's, one QSC KS212C, 5 Shure BLX wireless handhelds (SM58) and one Shure BLX wireless lapel. Yamaha TF1 (I wanted at least a QL1 :/ ) with TIO rack, and a rackmount active DI box for instrument ins. Sounds amazing and we always get compliments from visitors about it. Our room only seats 150 people, and this church is portable. We only get the space on Sunday's, so we pack everything in a trailer for storage. Our sending church is about to get an amazing upgrade in the main sanctuary, including a Yamaha CL5 that I pushed for :D .

2 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

I desgined and built our system myself. Two QSC K12.2's, one QSC KS212C, 5 Shure BLX wireless handhelds (SM58) and one Shure BLX wireless lapel. Yamaha TF1 (I wanted at least a QL1 :/) with TIO rack, and a rackmount active DI box for instrument ins. Sounds amazing and we always get compliments from visitors about it. Our room only seats 150 people, and this church is portable. We only get the space on Sunday's, so we pack everything in a trailer for storage. Our sending church is about to get an amazing upgrade in the main sanctuary, including a Yamaha CL5 that I pushed for :D.

Sounds like a nice system.   That's pretty serious mixer for church.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Just now, mr moose said:

Sounds like a nice system.   That's pretty serious mixer for church.

Thanks. I'm kind of a gear snob. I personally own a Yamaha LS9-32, so I sorta forced us into it lol. Having used their better mixers, I personally don't like the TF series, it just kinda dumbs everything down. But it was cheap enough so yeah. Also I'd use my mixer, but the reason I own it is because it's broken. I think I just need to replace the first bank of faders, which is easy (but costs 700 bucks).

4 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Thanks. I'm kind of a gear snob. I personally own a Yamaha LS9-32, so I sorta forced us into it lol. Having used their better mixers, I personally don't like the TF series, it just kinda dumbs everything down. But it was cheap enough so yeah. Also I'd use my mixer, but the reason I own it is because it's broken. I think I just need to replace the first bank of faders, which is easy (but costs 700 bucks).

ouch, I am old school, I love my analogue stuff.  I have had a play with digital desks, but frankly I felt like one of those old time mechanics standing next to a 2018 model car with a wrench trying to work out what a protocol is.

35 minutes ago, mr moose said:

ouch, I am old school, I love my analogue stuff.  I have had a play with digital desks, but frankly I felt like one of those old time mechanics standing next to a 2018 model car with a wrench trying to work out what a protocol is.

I do like analogue as much as the previous guy, but ever since I first used a digital mixer, there's just soo much you can do in such a small package. You don't need external racks for FX and all that. Really cleans up the sound booth. But I never complain when I have to use analogue, it's more simplistic imo.

On 2/7/2019 at 2:41 PM, BobVonBob said:

Disabling accounts seems like it's going a bit far, but if the only way to block ads is using a modded client then I get it.

Doesn't require a modded client on pc.  Just use the web player.  Also, piHoles work too.

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

As somebody who does regularly use adblock with spotify, I agree with their decision, but will continue using adblock, backing up my playlists daily, just in case.

If they do delete my account, I'll whitelist them and buy premium.

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|