Spotify banning ad blockers

dylanthompson2
31 minutes ago, Sgtkeebler said:

sorry about that, the student credential at my university is a certificate that you can print out that gives banks everything they need to give you a student loan, or loan in general. It is used for verification purposes that the person who holds it is actually a student. Sorry for the confusion. I have a student card, but it the email they specifically asked for a schedule. I am taking 1 semester off for work, but I still am an "active student". 

Oh okay - my apologies, such a thing does not exist in Ontario, that I'm aware of.

I would contact support again and ask specifically what exactly is missing from the certificate.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

15 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

I couldn't answer that question. What annoys you about the ads? Is it annoying because it's taking up your time? (Eg: you're annoyed simply because you have to watch an Ad to begin with?) Or does a specific ad just annoy you because of it's content?

Some ads are totally annoying. I find a lot of TV ads to be annoying - especially since they tend to be a little longer. The sweet spot is 15 seconds for me. A 15 second ad I will generally let run start to finish, unless it's a product I have zero interest in or is irrelevant (Eg: menstrual supplies). 30 second ads are fine as long as it's not all the time.

1. Ads of products that I could not use are annoying. More than once I found the advertiser website to read some version of  'DEFINITIVELY NOT SHIPPING TO POLAND'.
2. Ads that are overly loud are annoying.
3. Ads of products I don't need are annoying.

4. Ads of products that I know are shit and have better alternatives are annoying.

And then, when I finally get a nice ad, it gets old really fast.

One time I was riding a bike back from work in winter at night on a road with a really narrow roadside, the kind where if you move your hands wrong for a second you're going to fall down a steep hill. YouTube rewind ad comes up with a really loud shout that I thought was behind me, which made me turn my head really fast and nearly go down, some hours later I had ads blocked on yt.

16 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Is it annoying because it's taking up your time? (Eg: you're annoyed simply because you have to watch an Ad to begin with?) Or does a specific ad just annoy you because of it's content?

Content. Might be country based... but here, the Spotify adds that are not from Sky/spotify self promotion, are the worse, in every way. Anyone not able to mentally block them out would be ashamed/embarrassed/shocked by their content. It's not "your annoyed because your being you", it's "these adds are ing to be annoying [lets go find the worse adds we can and put them in our product], and force you to turn off/buy premium".

7 hours ago, Loote said:

One time I was riding a bike

You shouldnt do that in the first place, police should hand out pretty hefty fines for this dangerous and very bad practice....

On 2/15/2019 at 6:25 PM, jagdtigger said:

You shouldnt do that in the first place, police should hand out pretty hefty fines for this dangerous and very bad practice....

There's no law against that where I live, so I stick to the opened headphones without worries. I've over 10 000 km mileage with no 'I couldn't hear it so I didn't notice it' situation, probably because my headphones dampen sound less than car's closed windows. Are you speaking from experience, or is it just something someone said?

3 minutes ago, Loote said:

There's no law against that where I live, so I stick to the opened headphones without worries. I've over 10 000 km mileage with no 'I couldn't hear it so I didn't notice it' situation, probably because my headphones dampen sound less than car's closed windows. Are you speaking from experience, or is it just something someone said?

Sad experience with bikers in my country. Top it off its the same ppl who dont have any kind of prism, west, or lamp/blinker...

• 3 weeks later...

for modified spotify apps they should disable the account but for the website they should display a pop up asking the person to add an exception for spotify.

people who think that spotify doesnt lose revenue if they use adblock are just delusional. many advertisers pay on a per view basis and even if they are not it still cuts into spotify's bargaining power. if for example spotify says we have 2 million users so we want 200 dollars but then the advertiser says wait a minute i heard that 50% of them use adblockers so we are only paying 100.

At least spotify doesnt have ads in the middle of the song like youtube idiots.

On 2/8/2019 at 12:40 AM, Cyberspirit said:

Huh, I didn't know ad blockers worked on Spotify. I'm sure people will find a workaround eventually until then, RIP.

Still, only 2% is pretty good if you ask me.

Ublock origin works, just checked again it still works, i keep it disabled but yeah i hope they dont ban people like me that have adblock extension detected but disabled.

@yian88 They are only banning people who used/use a cracked app. They basically fool the app into thinking you have a premium account so, as long as you only use an adblocker, I think you'll be fine.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

1 hour ago, yian88 said:

Ublock origin works, just checked again it still works, i keep it disabled but yeah i hope they dont ban people like me that have adblock extension detected but disabled.

You should be fine - you're using Ad Block in the correct way anyway.

11 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

@yian88 They are only banning people who used/use a cracked app. They basically fool the app into thinking you have a premium account so, as long as you only use an adblocker, I think you'll be fine.

Good - but also, I hope people disable Ad Block for Spotify. Having it installed to protect yourself on the general web is definitely smart, but people should be disabling it on websites they frequently use, such as LTT Forums, Spotify, etc.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

58 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

They basically fool the app into thinking you have a premium account

actually, they fool the app into thinking they have the tablet version on their phone

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

4 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

actually, they fool the app into thinking they have the tablet version on their phone

Huh, how does that work? Does the tablet version not have ads?

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

When computer geeks are for commercials and paying for stuff we know the world is broken.

Just now, LinusOnLine said:

When computer geeks adults are for commercials and paying for stuff we know the world is broken working correctly.

Fixed that for you

3 hours ago, LinusOnLine said:

When computer geeks are for commercials and paying for stuff we know the world is broken.

There's a massive difference between respecting a company's need to be profitable and wanting commercials.

Certainly (virtually) no one actually wants ads, but the company has every right to put them there. They also certainly have every right to deny use of THEIR service when you choose to not respect the terms laid out by the aforementioned company that you agreed to abide by when signing up for THEIR service.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

9 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

There's a massive difference between respecting a company's need to be profitable and wanting commercials.

Certainly (virtually) no one actually wants ads, but the company has every right to put them there. They also certainly have every right to deny use of THEIR service when you choose to not respect the terms laid out by the aforementioned company that you agreed to abide by when signing up for THEIR service.

Talk about not getting it :)

31 minutes ago, LinusOnLine said:

Talk about not getting it :)

Try being funny maybe

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

On 2/7/2019 at 3:39 PM, firelighter487 said:

and premium users who can listen ad-free. 

I still can’t get over how awesome Spotify is. For a small subscription you get almost everything. I remember buying CDs and that got really expensive, really fast.