AMD Radeon VII Benchmark/Launch Mega Thread

Taf the Ghost
1 minute ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Science Department King Radeon VII.

if those science departments aren't nvidia departments, mine is, such a sad thing to see

6 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

your reason is similar to Buildzoid and i agreed. 

No, its completely different because one is the Corporate side, wich is what Bullzoid was talking about.

I was talking about the Consumer side. 

And that is the real Problem, that it makes little sense for AMD to target "Gamers" because they won't buy their products, even if they are good...

Thus it makes more sense to target the ones that are not brand loyal - wich are usually at the lower end - and go for them...

But still, look at the Steam Charts. Its rediculous...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

And I'm really not joking about the Science Department King bit. These cards are going to be living very long lives in builds at Science Departments of Universities the world over for at least a decade. Especially if anyone figures out how to flash a BIOS that can enable 1:2 FP64.

Science Department King Radeon VII.

Ninja edited in the Titan RTX just to show how comical even that is for FP64. Not even the Quadro RTX cards have usable FP64, exact same meager performance.

Without price checking I think the cheapest Nvidia card with usable FP64 performance is the Titan V which doesn't beat out the Radeon 7 by much, for 4 times the price.

2 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

if those science departments aren't nvidia departments, mine is, such a sad thing to see

To an extent, but you can stack Compute Cards in the same system. That's one of the fun tricks with them. Also, you're going to see professors buying them up themselves. These are spot-type purchases users can get, which is why the secondary market for these is going to last a long time.  Same thing with the Hawaii cards.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Ninja edited in the Titan RTX just to show how comical even that is for FP64. Not even the Quadro RTX cards have usable FP64, exact same meager performance.

Without price checking I think the cheapest Nvidia card with usable FP64 performance is the Titan V which doesn't beat out the Radeon 7 by much, for 4 times the price.

Pretty sure the Tesla parts are the only ones with FP64. 

From here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nvidia_graphics_processing_units#Tesla

It looks like you need either a GP100 or GV100 based card to have better FP64.

5 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

And I'm really not joking about the Science Department King bit. These cards are going to be living very long lives in builds at Science Departments of Universities the world over for at least a decade. Especially if anyone figures out how to flash a BIOS that can enable 1:2 FP64.

i always thought that there is a good chance that the Wx bios should be able to run on the reference pcb cards

2 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

i always thought that there is a good chance that the Wx bios should be able to run on the reference pcb cards

The Radeon VII is cheap enough someone is going to try. If they can really get 1:2 FP64, these things are going to be the utter kings of a Niche. 

Just now, cj09beira said:

btw have you guys seen this 

i find it quite hard to believe, we will seeTM

It's one rumor, though we know multiple Navi products are coming. One being released in October is extremely likely, but the launch is probably August. That's AMD's normal window for GPUs.

9 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Doesn't Titan V offer about 6.1TFLOPS of double precision?

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

Just now, VegetableStu said:

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooof ._.

(or maybe with the same timeframe as Threadripper 3000? o_o)

AMD should be dropping a lot of info at GDC in March, plus a lot of the industry will be meeting together. We should have firm time lines after that point.

1 minute ago, Lathlaer said:

Doesn't Titan V offer about 6.1TFLOPS of double precision?

Yes, but it's their only normally available type of GPU that does. It's also 3K USD. You could buy 2 Radeon VII + an entire system for the same cost.

27 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

From here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nvidia_graphics_processing_units#Tesla

It looks like you need either a GP100 or GV100 based card to have better FP64.

There's non Telsa parts like the Titan V and Quadro P100 and V100, Quadro variants have video outs and Telsa variants don't.

23 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

even if it was 100$ cheaper. people would still not buy it. its just how GPU market works

I honestly think it would if they made an 8GB version for $100 less. It seems like the performance would be similar in gaming.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

24 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

The Radeon VII is cheap enough someone is going to try. If they can really get 1:2 FP64, these things are going to be the utter kings of a Niche. 

Random thought: the MI50 is also rated at 300W TDP. If the VII is only doing half the work, would its power usage in FP64 be lower also? Not necessarily half, as there will be other parts involved that wont scale, but could be interesting.

I'm still debating getting one... I assume all the different manufacturer cards are identical apart from the bios ID, box and the price. Not surprisingly, the £650 ones in UK went fast, I don't see anything in stock below £700 now, and some are listing at £800. 

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, porina said:

Random thought: the MI50 is also rated at 300W TDP. If the VII is only doing half the work, would its power usage in FP64 be lower also? Not necessarily half, as there will be other parts involved that wont scale, but could be interesting.

I'm still debating getting one... I assume all the different manufacturer cards are identical apart from the bios ID, box and the price. Not surprisingly, the £650 ones in UK went fast, I don't see anything in stock below £700 now, and some are listing at £800. 

They all seem to be the same, minus some labels on the fans.

As for FP64, I don't believe it scales the power draw in the same way. Accelerator-type cards tend to run really loud, as they care about form factor more than anything else.

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

I honestly think it would if they made an 8GB version for $100 less. It seems like the performance would be similar in gaming.

they would then need to change the manufacturing side to acomudate the lower height hbm, and thats probably a much lower volume part, which may or may not be cheaper at the end,

also by having less height it might make it even harder to make the two silicon pieces have the same height 

3 minutes ago, porina said:

I'd really like to see that tested, very interesting.

Just now, cj09beira said:

they would then need to change the manufacturing side to acomudate the lower height hbm, and thats probably a much lower volume part, which may or may not be cheaper at the end,

also by having less height it might make it even harder to make the two silicon pieces have the same height 

It was my understanding that they were purchasing two 8GB units. Is that not correct? It's very early so I could easily be misremembering.

Honestly this feels like a productivity card that's been rebranded as a gaming card.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Just now, JoostinOnline said:

It was my understanding that they were purchasing two 8GB units. Is that not correct? It's very early so I could easily be misremembering.

Honestly this feels like a productivity card that's been rebranded as a gaming card.

No feeling. It actually *is*. But it games pretty well. Nvidia does the same thing, but they push their Software Suite to cover up the details.

No feeling. It actually *is*. But it games pretty well. Nvidia does the same thing, but they push their Software Suite to cover up the details.

Is it definitely? I know some people theorized it during CES but I hadn't seen any actual evidence.

9 minutes ago, porina said:

we cant know for sure without tests, remember gpus these days have boosts so they will place themselves near the tdp limit if the other variables arent the bottleneck

4 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

radeon Vii has to have 4*4GB hbm stacks to reach 1Tb/s with 16GB

3 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

^

2 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Is it definitely? I know some people theorized it during CES but I hadn't seen any actual evidence.

It's the MI50 with display connections and a different shroud.

Seems a few benchers and a few other folks on another forum I visit are looking to buy a few (or, already bought some).

Going to be interesting to see what they manage to pull off.

xD Hell, some where going for two of these cards (seem a few of the BOINCers on that forum where eyeing the cards as well).   Saw one chap mentioning Milkway@Home crunching.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU