AMD Radeon VII Benchmark/Launch Mega Thread

Taf the Ghost
2 minutes ago, Matsozetex said:

Yeah for some reason AMD software allows for power target to be pushed to 150% vs 120% from NVidia. It kinda sucks for AMD because a lot of the hysteria surrounding Vega power draw was when overclocking with 150% PT benchmarks where shown, their own act to make to increase liberties in their software led to (I am assuming here) lower sales due to rumors or misinformation.

The modded Vega 56 that GN has isn't 50% in the Wattman setting. It's 150% more via BIOS modding. That's why it's nuts. 

Just now, cj09beira said:

their biggest problem is bad releases, and bad stock voltages, thats the main thing they need to fix

Indeed.

5 minutes ago, Matsozetex said:

Yeah for some reason AMD software allows for power target to be pushed to 150% vs 120% from NVidia. It kinda sucks for AMD because a lot of the hysteria surrounding Vega power draw was when overclocking with 150% PT benchmarks where shown, their own act to make to increase liberties in their software led to (I am assuming here) lower sales due to rumors or misinformation.

They shorted the shunts on the card and basically removed the power limit (they extended it to I think it was nearly 300%), allowing the card to draw so much more than it should have.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

very nice amd will be 3rd top card(excluding titans) and might go neck and neck with 2080

after some driver revisions

but this excludes dlss, rt, and mesh shading, etc

4 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

I can't find any confirmation that it's 1:4 anywhere else. So I'd recommend waiting until we have some more information.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13923/the-amd-radeon-vii-review/3

Claims AMD put out a statement, maybe possible to find source of it? Don't see it in AMD press release section anyway.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

All the info we had officaly, and all the leaks added together pritty much has been confirmed as correct.

The Radeon VII trades blows with the 2080 but lacks any addtional features, and costs the same.

The added info is that there is a clear cut difference between DX11 and DX12 performance, for peopel like myself who dont use Dx12 (becouse Windows 10), it means the R-VII is the lesser card.

Now heres the kicker, imo had the card released just $100 lower in MSRP, it would be a proper competator. 'Almost' a 1080ti in Dx11, trades blows with the 2080 in Dx12, for $100 less, thats somthing that makes u think .."which should i get".

As it stands, i dont see it as a attractive option.

A let down, and unsurprising let down, but a letdown none the less. Perhaps in a few years big Navi will save us from Nvidias greed.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

6 minutes ago, pas008 said:

mesh shading

AMD have Primitive Shader which is equivalent to Mesh Shader since they introduced Vega, you can see this in Wolfenstein 2 where Vega 64 is closer to 1080 Ti because of Primitive Shader. 

wolfenstein-2_1920-1080.png

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Interesting they didn't opt for a memory config like the Titan V. 12GB HBM2, more than enough for a high end card; and saves them a lot of money.

If the card sold for even €50 less, it would be a no question when buying the card over the 2080 if you don't care for 1st gen RTX.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

4 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

All the info we had officaly, and all the leaks added together pritty much has been confirmed as correct.

The Radeon VII trades blows with the 2080 but lacks any addtional features, and costs the same.

The added info is that there is a clear cut difference between DX11 and DX12 performance, for peopel like myself who dont use Dx12 (becouse Windows 10), it means the R-VII is the lesser card.

Now heres the kicker, imo had the card released just $100 lower in MSRP, it would be a proper competator. 'Almost' a 1080ti in Dx11, trades blows with the 2080 in Dx12, for $100 less, thats somthing that makes u think .."which should i get".

A let down, and unsurprising let down, but a letdown none the less. Perhaps in a few years big Navi will save us from Nvidias greed.

Well, first we'll see with normal Navi. That's the next big shift in the market. This was a die-shrunk Compute Card that got released. And, given it's 3.5 TFLOPS of FP64, it's going to serve a long, long life in that Compute role.  Big Navi is probably 2020.

HBM2 really came to bit AMD in the butt. If it was half the price, they'd have moved their GPUs down a market segment and mopped up.

Just now, Valentyn said:

Interesting they didn't opt for a memory config like the Titan V. 12GB HBM2, more than enough for a high end card; and saves them a lot of money.

If the card sold for even €50 less, it would be a no question when buying the card over the 2080 if you don't care for 1st gen RTX.

I know everyone mentions it in the Review Space, but the market response to the RTX line is pretty clear: no one actually cares about it.

2 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

it wouldn't be any cheaper, if you look at the titan it still has all the 4 stacks even though it only uses 3, at most it allows the use of cores with one hbm fail, and we dont know if amd's design allows for disabling of memory chips, they haven't done it for a long long time

24 minutes ago, Matsozetex said:

since when was freedom over overclocking bad?

also powermod allows you to go much higher than 50%. believe my R9 Nano can do 170% powertarget without tweaking. (as in 70% above normal)

also its not like Vega doesnt eat a low of power. (or R9 Fury for that matter) its not like the power thing is completely unwarranted, but surprising when looking at Nvidias massive GPUs in the past

15 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

even if it was 100$ cheaper. people would still not buy it. its just how GPU market works

8 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

it wouldn't be any cheaper, if you look at the titan it still has all the 4 stacks even though it only uses 3, at most it allows the use of cores with one hbm fail, and we dont know if amd's design allows for disabling of memory chips, they haven't done it for a long long time

It's got one dead/dummy stack though. Similar to Epyc 1 with only two working dies, and two dummy ones.

If they have the option for 3 working stacks, they really should have gone for it. Sadly it looks like they've just recycled rejected Instinct cards; which might explain the low supply at the moment also.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

34 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

I'm waiting for Wendel on this and what he has to say about the Card.

Though it might take another Day or two for his Video...

I hope he has some Linux performance to show us

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

29 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

not a let down considering what they have

and greed? its ok for amd to charge more for hbm but nvidia cant for rt and tensor?

its always on user preferences on use case and cant leap forward if you dont have new places to leap to technology wise

28 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

AMD have Primitive Shader which is equivalent to Mesh Shader since they introduced Vega, you can see this in Wolfenstein 2 where Vega 64 is closer to 1080 Ti because of Primitive Shader. 

wolfenstein-2_1920-1080.png

is this the only game that uses it?

but now both sides have it we could see it more implemented like when amd does rt

My two major take aways from this launch:

- We knew Nvidia was eventually going to adopt FreeSync, and this is one of the reasons why. This entire press cycle would have been about the Radeon VII + 144 Hz/FreeSync display, rather than about RTX features.

- The Radeon VII cards are going to serve a long life in Computer Science departments the world over.

1 hour ago, CiBi said:

5-8% (1080p 1440p 2160p) higher scores than RTX 2080 in BFV without ray tracing.

Heck, I'd take that 8% performance boost over the stupid non-functional non-supported "RTX functionality".

I'd buy this over the 2080, if I was in the market for a $699 GPU (which I am not and never will be).

Still no reason for me to upgrade my 980Ti for my 1440P 60 Hz monitor. Can still play all the latest games on Ultra at 60fps.

EDIT: Looking at some of the benchmarks: the Radeon VII actually gets closer to the 2080Ti than the 2080 in Battlefield V at 4K. Very impressive, since Battlefield is an Nvidia supported title! Honestly, this is better than what I expected from AMD. Who knows, with some driver optimizations, could very well get the Radeon VII in between 2080 and 2080Ti performance for the price of a 2080. There is still hope!