What CPU to use for a FREENAS server

Aaron_nad

So, I am currently running a FREENAS server on an AMD A12 9800 (I know, i was drunk when i ordered it as opposed to ryzen). What i am asking is though i have a system running an AMD FX-8350. Looking into performance increases, there's not much in them apart from the core count and Interfered Graphics. It's been working fine, however i want to run a couple of VM's and a few jails, would i be better swapping out the AMD A12 with the FX-8350? Or is it worth sticking with the A12 for now and look at buying into threadripper 6 months down the line?

Id look at proxmox if you want to run vms, it does that much better than freenas.

The 8350 will be a good amount faster if your running vms.

What are the vms doing? Threadripper is probably overkill here.

• 4 weeks later...

Apologies over the delay for my response, I'll be looking to run about 6 fully fledged windows 10 OS's from the home server. As well as allow it to maintain its functionality as a home media server for files and plex. The server is to run plex and files 24/7/365, however i only ever expect there to be max of 5 OS VM's running at once alongside this. Never all 6. I've got a separate server that is taking backups of my main one in case of failure, however i do not expect the backup server to be a failover box at the minute. I'll look to exchange my A12 for the 8350 and move forward with getting a threadripper down the line. Thanks