Apple Cash Doesn't Work for Under 18, thoughts?

BurntNewt
3 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Because you have to provide ID.

smh they really wanna know everything.. still better to give cash to someone hand to hand

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

2 minutes ago, BurntNewt said:

thats only if you use it too much and they suspect fraud it looks like

They can also randomly check for ID, you need ID to add money.

If you have $500 of transactions, you have to verify.

1 minute ago, aezakmi said:

smh they really wanna know everything.. still better to give cash to someone hand to hand

You have to do the same thing for any credit/debit card.  Which is what Apple Cash really is, a banking service.

4 hours ago, BurntNewt said:

I really like iPhones and the whole ecosystem but one thing I can't wrap my mind around is why cant teens use apple cash. it doesn't make sense why make a way to transfer money to people if you can even use it for logical purposes like giving your kids extra money quickly if they need it. or give them a spending limit or a way to pay back their parents. the concept is good but I feel like the execution isn't. Any thoughts?

No child should be shopping alone. If you get permission from your parents they still need to be present. A child in a store is a target for predators and should be reported immediately to store management. It would be illogical for Apple to encourage child shoppers when multiple laws would be violated.

-= Moved to Off-Topic =-

@BurntNewt the reason is simple, in the US if you are under 18 you are not legally an adult and cannot be held to a binding contract such as credit. You have to be placed with a co-signer such as your parent(s) as they can be held to contract for credit, anything you spend they would be responsible for. A minor cannot be held responsible for a monetary debt or be sought after to rectify any debt beholden to them.

That is the law. Simply put.

Just to note: Debit and Credit is not the same. I had a Debit card when I turned 14 because I had an active checking account that I needed for a summer job and had to deposit my wages.

12 hours ago, drinklime said:

No child should be shopping alone. If you get permission from your parents they still need to be present. A child in a store is a target for predators and should be reported immediately to store management. It would be illogical for Apple to encourage child shoppers when multiple laws would be violated.

I agree if the child was say 5 but if they were 8 or 10 I would have no issue. But the discussion is not about the shoppers age but about a minor having ad spending credit thus creating a debt.

If you were to shop with tangible money this would be different as you are spending what you already have instead of creating a debt (or in this stance, credit) and as such does not apply.

16 hours ago, KarathKasun said:

They can also randomly check for ID, you need ID to add money.

If you have $500 of transactions, you have to verify.

The only time an ID can be requested is if the if the item requires an age verification to purchase such, for instance certain medicines or ammunition or alcohol sales. I can say this with certainty as I have (when I was younger) made a large purchase, my dad took me to best buy and I bought my first stereo, paid in cash I earned over the summer and no ID need to purchase and it wasn't because the cashier couldn't tell I wasn't 18 it obvious I was 14.

17 hours ago, ShadySocks said:

My under-18 friend uses apple pay all the time, is this different?

Has his parent card most likely. And whomever is the cashier is not being diligent to ask for ID (which is way to common)

17 hours ago, BurntNewt said:

thats what i was thinking how is it possible to use apple pay in general then 

but not with his own card, or his age is not correct.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

28 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Has his parent card most likely. And whomever is the cashier is not being diligent to ask for ID (which is way to common)

You can use a debit card with Apple Pay, its all fine as long as the bank supports Apple Pay.

7 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

He could have his "own" credit card (his name on the card) where he's a secondary on someone else's account. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

8 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

The only time an ID can be requested is if the if the item requires an age verification to purchase such, for instance certain medicines or ammunition or alcohol sales. I can say this with certainty as I have (when I was younger) made a large purchase, my dad took me to best buy and I bought my first stereo, paid in cash I earned over the summer and no ID need to purchase and it wasn't because the cashier couldn't tell I wasn't 18 it obvious I was 14.

Incorrect in this context.  Apple Cash, as a service, can request ID (valid photo ID as per the site) at any time.  The triggers that cause them to 100% request ID are listed on their site.  They do randomly ID as well.

9 hours ago, KarathKasun said:

Incorrect in this context.  Apple Cash, as a service, can request ID (valid photo ID as per the site) at any time.  The triggers that cause them to 100% request ID are listed on their site.  They do randomly ID as well.

I was speaking to large cash purchases... ID is always required when using a Credit or Debit card.

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 hour ago, SansVarnic said:

I was speaking to large cash purchases... ID is always required when using a Credit or Debit card.

Also not true, as a user of credit and debit cards.

1 hour ago, KarathKasun said:

Also not true, as a user of credit and debit cards.

It is true, it is required but not always done. Cashiers are supposed to check ID's to make sure the card is properly used by the owner.

Why Do You Need to Show Your ID with Your Credit Card?

If you are asked to show your ID when making a purchase with your credit card, don’t feel offended. Cashiers and business owners are doing their jobs by making sure the cardholder is actually who they say they are, and they’re helping protect the business from stolen credit cards.

Side note: never sign your credit or debit card...

Any how I believe we are derailing the topic now.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER