Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RickyMrBoss

Fitness tips? Badly Underweight

Posted · Original PosterOP

So im a 17 year old that stopped doing any physical activity at around my 14, and this new years my resolution was to grow muscle as fast as i can(in a healthy way) and gain weight, any advice?

Im 17 (as already mentioned)

I weight 120 pounds

And im 6 ft tall

And i know that 120 for a 6ft guy is not good

I started doing excercise and stuff 

But for you to have an idea, my first day of excercise was on January 2 and i could barely do 15 push ups, now as of today(feb 5) i can do 45-50

But still no weight gain, im stuck at 118-122 pounds 

Pls help 

Thanks

Eat lots of nice clean food, like chicken and rice + veggies (When gaining weight don't worry about how much you eat, 5000+ calories is common, always eat a lot). Take a multivitamin once a day. Go to a gym and work out there. Doesn't really matter what weights you lift or how many push ups you can do. 

Make sure to do 3x10 reps or 2x15. If you aren't sure how to do an exercise, you can ask someone or use the machines at first to get the hang of it. 

Just remember though you are only 17, so you haven't finished growing yet, be patient. 

For weight gain you need to eat more.

I suggest finding a tdee calculator. And to find out how many calories you need to bulk 1-2 pounds a month(optimal efficieny in muscle gain, so you dont gain too much fat), add 200 calories to your maintence calories. Also, you should eat 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight (.45g of protein per kilogram) for muscle gain as well, so stock up on milk, eggs, beans, meat, fish, protein powder or whatever else has lots of protein

https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/calculate-your-total-daily-energy-expenditure-tdee.html

Also you might need a good fitness workout plan, this is personally the one i use, as it pushes muscles to their limits:https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/4-day-power-muscle-burn-workout-split.html

Source:i lift and browse bodybuilding.com and other lifting websites

Damn....

1 hour ago, RorzNZ said:

Take a multivitamin once a day.

Probably not especially if OP is eating properly and is not on some FAD diet or prolonged fasting. Multivitamins more often than not have high levels of ADEK vitamins which are fat soluble and takes longer to excrete. 

1 hour ago, RickyMrBoss said:

So im a 17 year old that stopped doing any physical activity at around my 14, and this new years my resolution was to grow muscle as fast as i can(in a healthy way) and gain weight, any advice?

Actually if you want to bulk up without spending too much, drinking full cream milk (whey & casein) and eating egg whites (albumin) would be enough as those are complete proteins. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Making Windows Defender as good or even better than paid options

3 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

Probably not especially if OP is eating properly and is not on some FAD diet or prolonged fasting. Multivitamins more often than not have high levels of ADEK vitamins which are fat soluble and takes longer to excrete. 

I wouldn't really worry about that, as long as you are doing the exercise, its pretty important in building muscle. IMO its a lot healthier than taking other supplements, and quite essential. Chicken and rice, or fish and rice only covers so much. On a clean diet, you don't want to be eating fruit too much at all, so Multivitamins would be fine. 

4 hours ago, RickyMrBoss said:

I weight 120 pounds

And im 6 ft tall 

It's not good. But as long as you are eating and not hungry all the time, it's not dangerous.

I'm 6' 6" and since middle school I've weighed 147 pounds. In late 2017/early 2018 I stopped being able to eat very much at all and dropped down to about 120 lbs. Once I got my medical issues mostly solved, and started to be able to eat again, I got a personal trainer.  That helped with quite a few things, but it also helped me get my weight back, which just happened about 2 weeks ago.

If you can afford it, some local gyms may offer (relatively) inexpensive personal trainers as part of their membership benefits. You kind of get what you pay for, but if you've never really done any muscle building activities before, a cheap personal trainer can mean the difference between giving up and and becoming stronger than you've ever been. At least it was for me.

All this nonsense that you need to be a dietician or food scientist to get healthy is just that, nonsense. So long as you are:

• Eating enough food to not be hungry
  • Eating regularly
  • Eating roughly a "normal" food pyramid diet (meaning not take-out every meal/day)

Then as a beginner (meaning that you are just now starting to take physical fitness seriously, and don't know much about what considerations there are), you will be fine. You want to make as few changes at a time as possible. If you jump into something like this and completely change all of your basic habits at once, then you are sure to give up.

You just started in mid January. It is perfectly normal to not have gained any weight yet. Your body hasn't even finished getting used to exercising yet. Beginners often improve very rapidly, but then hit a wall. That wall is the "mass wall", and it is when you will want to start seriously seeking out professional and trust worthy (meaning, not LTT forums) guidance on what your diet should be.

I will never succumb to the New Cult and I reject the leadership of @Aelar_Nailo and his wicked parrot armies led by @FakeCIA and @DildorTheDecent. I will keep my eyes pure and remain dedicated to the path of the One True; IlLinusNati

How much do you eat and how many times a day? Most people that are underweight would do best eating smaller, but more nutrient-dense, meals 5 to 6 times a day. I would also look at doing normal resistance exercises for an hour 3 times a week. Look into plyometrics after a few months so you don't strain yourself from being too weak for compression force. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Honestly though, if you just want to be a normal weight, eat 3 square meals at regular intervals in the day, say 6:30, 12:00, 17:00 etc, and you'll be right as rain. Chicken, white rice and steamed broccoli is a good go-to food, as it is easy to digest. Itls what animals are given if they are struggling with diet too. 

While it's usually good to develop healthy eating habits they aren't going to be as necessary for a 17 year old.  For your case I would encourage you to eat as much protein as you can per meal.   

AMD Ryzen 3900X  |  Fractal Design S36 360 AIO w/3 Corsair SP120L and 3 Noctua NF-F12 3000 fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 3600CL15 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-15-14-14-30  |  EVGA 1070 Ti SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black w/NZXT Kraken G12 Cooler  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

I weight 120 pounds

And im 6 ft tall

Oh shit I'm 6'2" and I would consider 200 my ideal weight. 

Have you considered liquid things? Ensure, stuff like that a lot of nutrients, proteins and calories but it's not solid food and easy to consume. 
I personally like soylent. I'm partial to the powder (which isn't nearly as good taste wise for most), but these days you can get the 2.0 liquid in some stores in the US if you want to try without committing to ordering a case.
https://soylent.com/products/drink-cacao
It's a lot more complete and it makes me feel great, I personally love it and while I replace some meals with it, if you consume it on top of what you eat you WILL gain weight barring any medical issues. 400 calories in a bottle, and a lot of protein. If you're adverse to eating more or changing your diet much, I'd consider soylent or the old people drinks like ensure. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

4 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

Take a multivitamin once a day

Doctors I've met don't recommend doing this unless you're actually deficient in certain vitamin(s). Not necessarily because it will be bad for you, but because you'll just pee those vitamins out a few hours later.

CPU: Intel i5 3550           | Cooler: Corsair A50          | Motherboard: Asus P8Z77      | Storage: Crucial MX200 250GB |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB   | GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970      | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)  | PSU: EVGA 650W G2            |

I weight 120 pounds

And im 6 ft tall

But for you to have an idea, my first day of excercise was on January 2 and i could barely do 15 push ups, now as of today(feb 5) i can do 45-50

Pls help 

Thanks

Get addicted to pizza, eat pizza all the time. That'll pack er on....or go to a supplement store and get the stuff for gaining mass.

17 minutes ago, Gale said:

Doctors I've met don't recommend doing this unless you're actually deficient in certain vitamin(s). Not necessarily because it will be bad for you, but because you'll just pee those vitamins out a few hours later.

I’m sure those same doctors will know that eating clean to build muscle mass means you will miss out on important nuitrients like iron, potassium and sodium. If you eat correctly to gain the right type of weight, you need a multivitamin. 

If if you have a regular diet you don’t need it of course, but as you  say it doesn’t hurt, and if you pee after a few hours with one, that is not really correct. 

9 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

I’m sure those same doctors will know that eating clean to build muscle mass means you will miss out on important nuitrients like iron, potassium and sodium. If you eat correctly to gain the right type of weight, you need a multivitamin. 

No. Just no. 

If you're eating clean, you're mixing up your meals in a way that allows your body to make the most of its meals without relying on a single ingredient for the bulk of your diet. You don't need a vitamin+mineral supplement to make up for your meals. Having better meal plans is more important than getting a multi-vitamin. Even chelated minerals have lower bioavailability when compared to whole foods (liver vs chelated iron/iron proteinate) especially given vitamin excess (think [vitamin] D and calcium retention) could lead to more harm than good. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

5 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

No. Just no. 

If you're eating clean, you're mixing up your meals in a way that allows your body to make the most of its meals without relying on a single ingredient for the bulk of your diet. You don't need a vitamin+mineral supplement to make up for your meals. Having better meal plans is more important than getting a multi-vitamin. Even chelated minerals have lower bioavailability when compared to whole foods (liver vs chelated iron/iron proteinate) especially given vitamin excess (think [vitamin] D and calcium retention) could lead to more harm than good. 

You're barking up the wrong tree, eating clean is some carbohydrates, little fat, lots of protein etc. Not much to do with mixing up meals. Multivitamins don't make up for meals, they supplement them. The levels for that would harm you, would mean you are taking more than once per day and not exercising (Or a natural predisposition/abnormality etc but I'm relating to this situation). Its pretty laughable to suggest multivitamins are harmful. 

In a normal individual who has a broader diet, it is perfectly fine not to take one, but if you would like to gain muscle tissue, it is important to take them. You're not going to get any harm from these if you follow an exercise regimen. 

My advice is coming from someone who was on the other side of the scale. Here's my advice:

Don't go crazy.

Don't start eating a bunch of pizzas or drink protein shakes. Don't get to 5,000 calories a day. Do what you usually do, but:

Add strength workouts; weightlifting, Crossfit, that kinda stuff.

Estimate how many calories you're burning each day, add 500-1000 to that number and consume it. Try and make the food healthy though.

That's pretty much it. It takes time, and it's much more difficult for a thin person to become thiccer than to a fuller person (let's be honest, a fatty like me) to become thin. This is going to need a lot of determination on your part. There's no quick fix or magic solution, just hard work. And if you care about that enough, you'll get there eventually.

Even though personally there's nothing wrong with being a bit wirey, if I dare say so myself.

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

As a bunch of people already mentioned - be patient, you're still growing. I am 6''4 and I was weighing about 130 pounds up until a few years ago.

Exercise always helps (finding a sport that excites you makes that a lot easier, climbing did the trick for me) and of course eating healthily won't hurt either.

Edit:

I'd stay away from protein drinks and the likes, they tend to be kinda expencive and I don't feel like they help out all that much, especially when you're on a healthy diet.

Edited by myselfolli

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

I feel like I'm overweight now. I stand 5'10" and weigh 225 pounds. No fat though. All muscle and I don't really exercise. I just stay active. 

Current Build

I5 4460

Hyper Evo 212

Gigabyte Z87X-D3H

WD 1TB HDD

XFX RX 480 RS 4GB

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr3 1600 Patriot Ram

Mixture of Phanteks and Thermaltake Fans

Phanteks P400S

On 2/6/2019 at 1:06 AM, RickyMrBoss said:

I weight 120 pounds

And im 6 ft tall

Pls help 

Thanks

If you want something simple and easy to follow (but repetitive) Eat rice, chicken and/or fish with protein bars / biscuits for snacks (don't gorge yourself) and water for hydration.

On the gym side do the 5x5 workout (5x5 Workout Link Read this), that will give you a steady strength gain and help build muscle. Supplement that routine with whatever you think you're lacking in different areas (leg press, squat rack, peck deck, calves, some cardio etc) and you'll get bigger/healthier in no time. Just a matter of time and patience.

Just a fyi on the 5x5 workout: I went from a comfortable starting weight on the squats and dead-lifts at 70kg+20kg bar to a max of 200+20kg bar in a few months (i stopped training after that due to a crash fracturing my elbow, but i'm back at it now starting from square 1 again. You'll get there eventually.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

Posted · Original PosterOP

Thanks for the replies i really didnt thought someone would say something 

Well I've read about diet

Well im not going to say im on a diet but i started eating wayyy more rice, beans and chicken since then 

And sadly i dont have acces to a gym where i live [unless i do a 25 mins ride which i cant afford atm]

My goal is ~145 or more by the end of the year, is it possible? [of course in a healthy way]

4 minutes ago, RickyMrBoss said:

Thanks for the replies i really didnt thought someone would say something 

Well I've read about diet

Well im not going to say im on a diet but i started eating wayyy more rice, beans and chicken since then 

And sadly i dont have acces to a gym where i live [unless i do a 25 mins ride which i cant afford atm]

My goal is ~145 or more by the end of the year, is it possible? [of course in a healthy way]

You don't need to go to gym to workout. You can make your own workout tool at home or buy it from Amazon or other fitness stores. I don't like gym because you workout and you pay for the gym. 

This sounds like a familiar story, I'm 6' 3" and approx. 55kg and have been for nearly 20 years (mid 30's now). Have tried things in the past but never noticed any real difference.

I'm interested to see if you manage your goal.

On 2/6/2019 at 2:24 PM, Zusafek said:

I feel like I'm overweight now. I stand 5'10" and weigh 225 pounds. No fat though. All muscle and I don't really exercise. I just stay active. 

225 pounds at 5'10" is well over obesity level bmi