Cleaned my GPU (air) did i do something wrong here?

IAmAkiro

Okay, it's a short story, and i know it's nothing to worry about maybe.

I decided last week, to clean out my PC, because I had a day off.  So i took my GPU out, and i cleaned it first, because it's a compucleaner, it gets a bit hot, i started blowing some of the dust out, and it went fine, i get the card flipped and blow the dust in the back of the card (Where the HDMI DP ports connects), meanwhile i held the fans, they probably spun a little, and when I then had to connect it, because Im nervous i had a little sweat on my hands, but it didn't affect the card, maybe I pressed a little to hard on the card as well, because i felt like I was about to drop it, I don't know, i pop it in it works, but then I realized something wierd, my temperatures after the cleaning has raised, nothing insane, PUBG from 50-62 To a new 65-68 C  Dota 2, seems like 1-2 increased but never hits over 61 there. Its the basic two games I play.

In PUBG I have everything on the lowest expect textures which is on medium and then 120 FPS capped.

I though have NO idea if it's because I cleaned my fans, the temps goes up because the fans spin slower. It's a STRIX 1070 OC from September 16(IIRC)

I don't have any different fan curve to the card, the card itself should run in constant gaming mode i think, I never use my MSI Afterburner or my ASUS Tweak II.

The only thing i see here on my Strix is this form a short PUBG game or two.

And i also know the temps are fine, but it borthers me I clean and it goes up.

CPU temps are fine Ryzen 1700 Stock 61 C with 2327 MAX rpm.

My ambient temps are around 23-24 C, but they were that before I cleaned my GPU and i had never over 62 C back then.

Have I done something wrong, maybe pushed some dust further in? (My blades have dust but nothing i think should do that much temp change)

maxed pubg.PNG

Are the core and memory clocks the same as before? Is the fan spinning at the same RPM? Is the power draw the same? There's no way to figure out what caused the temperature increase without being sure everything was the same. Your temps are perfectly acceptable though, so it's nothing to worry about.

If you want my guess, your CPU cooler can dissipate more heat now that it's been cleaned, which is increasing the temperature inside your case, but that's just a blind guess.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

20 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

Are the core and memory clocks the same as before? Is the fan spinning at the same RPM? Is the power draw the same? There's no way to figure out what caused the temperature increase without being sure everything was the same. Your temps are perfectly acceptable though, so it's nothing to worry about.

If you want my guess, your CPU cooler can dissipate more heat now that it's been cleaned, which is increasing the temperature inside your case, but that's just a blind guess.

I think the GPU Clocks are the same as before. yeah they should be the same.

I have the same GPU as you (Strix 1070 OC), which I purchased in late september 2017. Your temps seem to align with what I see, on average, in more demanding games at much higher settings (I play 1440p high-ultra at 60fps). Your clocks are also close to what I see. 

I remember seeing something somewhat similar when I swapped cases over Thanksgiving weekend. 

My old case: Corsair 100R - 2 front intake, 2 top exhaust, 1 rear CPU rad exhaust. My GPU was seeing idle of 35 and load of 70 max (all in C).

New case: Fractal Design Define R6 - 2 front intake, 1 bottom intake (directed at drives), 2 top exhaust, 1 rear exhaust. I also swapped the CPU AIO to an NH-D15. Due to the nature of the drive cage in the R6, my hard drives were relocated from in front and below the GPU to in front and right next to the GPU (My 2.5" SSD boot drive was also mounted on the PSU shroud below the GPU, my 16x PCIe NVMe card fan was turned off -- I realized how loud it was -- but everything else was left unchanged). My load temps did not increase, but my idle temps were increased significantly -- between 45 and 50 C. 

After experimenting, I moved my hard drives to not being directly next to the GPU and moved the boot drive to the rear 2.5" mount and slid the bottom intake to point directly at the end of the GPU. My idle temps dropped back down to 38C, but if I watch a youtube video (or put some other light load on the GPU) the temp will go up to about 45-48 C and then not drop below 42C for an extended period of time (left to idle for hours); this is in the gaming mode, set in GPU Tweak II, where the fans don't engage until the GPU reaches 54C. The bottom intake fan is not good at pushing air through the bottom dust filter, there is very little air reaching the GPU from it. I plan on swapping this fan out for a better one, and I could potentially see an improvement in idle temps from this. My idle temps could also be affected by the NVMe card's fan (which is blower style, exhausting out the rear), but this is not confirmed. My old case was much smaller, and the new case is much larger; I also had a CPU cooler swap (there is now a gigantic heatsink an inch from the GPU backplate). 

The NVMe card I have is the Asus Hyper M.2 x16 Card (4x NVMe SSDs, but only 1 slot is filled currently).

TLDR; make sure that your airflow is still good/reaching your GPU properly. It's possible that in taking some things out that you accidentally rearranged some cables, or other things, that could potentially affect airflow by a small margin. You could also try reseating the GPU, replacing thermal paste, and reinstalling the drivers (after DDU your old ones).

Primary PC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8G3tXv (Windows 10 Home)

HTPC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KdBb4n (Windows 10 Home)
Server: Dell Precision T7500 - Dual Xeon X5660's, 44GB ECC DDR3, Dell Nvidia GTX 645 (Windows Server 2019 Standard)      

*SLI Rig* - i7-920, MSI-X58 Platinum SLI, 12GB DDR3, Dual EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 in SLI - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GHw6vW (Windows 7 Pro)

HP DC7900 - Core 2 Duo E8400, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT (Windows Vista)

Compaq Presario 5000 - Pentium 4 1.7Ghz, 1.7GB SDR, PowerColor Radeon 9600 Pro (Windows XP x86 Pro)
Compaq Presario 8772 - Pentium MMX 200Mhz, 48MB PC66, 6GB Quantum HDD, "8GB" HP SATA SSD adapted to IDE (Windows 98 SE)

Asus M32AD - Intel i3-4170, 8GB DDR3, 250GB Seagate 2.5" HDD (converting to SSD soon), EVGA GeForce GTS 250, OEM 350W PSU (Windows 10 Core)

*Haswell Tower* https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3vw6vW (Windows 10 Home)

*ITX Box* - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/r36s6R (Windows 10 Education)

Dell Dimension XPS B800 - Pentium 3 800Mhz, RDRAM

In progress projects:

*Skylake Tower* - Pentium G4400, Asus H110

*Trash Can* - AMD A4-6300

*GPU Test Bench*

*Pfsense router* - Pentium G3220, Asrock H97m Pro A4, 4GB DDR3

15 hours ago, Eastman51 said:

I have the same GPU as you (Strix 1070 OC), which I purchased in late september 2017. Your temps seem to align with what I see, on average, in more demanding games at much higher settings (I play 1440p high-ultra at 60fps). Your clocks are also close to what I see. 

I remember seeing something somewhat similar when I swapped cases over Thanksgiving weekend. 

My old case: Corsair 100R - 2 front intake, 2 top exhaust, 1 rear CPU rad exhaust. My GPU was seeing idle of 35 and load of 70 max (all in C).

New case: Fractal Design Define R6 - 2 front intake, 1 bottom intake (directed at drives), 2 top exhaust, 1 rear exhaust. I also swapped the CPU AIO to an NH-D15. Due to the nature of the drive cage in the R6, my hard drives were relocated from in front and below the GPU to in front and right next to the GPU (My 2.5" SSD boot drive was also mounted on the PSU shroud below the GPU, my 16x PCIe NVMe card fan was turned off -- I realized how loud it was -- but everything else was left unchanged). My load temps did not increase, but my idle temps were increased significantly -- between 45 and 50 C. 

After experimenting, I moved my hard drives to not being directly next to the GPU and moved the boot drive to the rear 2.5" mount and slid the bottom intake to point directly at the end of the GPU. My idle temps dropped back down to 38C, but if I watch a youtube video (or put some other light load on the GPU) the temp will go up to about 45-48 C and then not drop below 42C for an extended period of time (left to idle for hours); this is in the gaming mode, set in GPU Tweak II, where the fans don't engage until the GPU reaches 54C. The bottom intake fan is not good at pushing air through the bottom dust filter, there is very little air reaching the GPU from it. I plan on swapping this fan out for a better one, and I could potentially see an improvement in idle temps from this. My idle temps could also be affected by the NVMe card's fan (which is blower style, exhausting out the rear), but this is not confirmed. My old case was much smaller, and the new case is much larger; I also had a CPU cooler swap (there is now a gigantic heatsink an inch from the GPU backplate). 

The NVMe card I have is the Asus Hyper M.2 x16 Card (4x NVMe SSDs, but only 1 slot is filled currently).

TLDR; make sure that your airflow is still good/reaching your GPU properly. It's possible that in taking some things out that you accidentally rearranged some cables, or other things, that could potentially affect airflow by a small margin. You could also try reseating the GPU, replacing thermal paste, and reinstalling the drivers (after DDU your old ones).

My Airflow stays the same, i just cleaned the GPU, and i don't know maybe I could have maken it more lose, or maybe pushed more dust further down the heatsink?

1 hour ago, GGWP1337 said:

My Airflow stays the same, i just cleaned the GPU, and i don't know maybe I could have maken it more lose, or maybe pushed more dust further down the heatsink?

Since you used blowing air, you COULD have pushed dust further down into the fins resulting in the transfer of heat towards the top of the fins to the fans is...more restricted.

I always advise to ground yourself while using a vacuum and using duct tape to reduce it down to 3 straws (trust me, 3 straws can reach EVERY crevice) and pull the dust out.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

I am just thinking of taking it out sooner in some time, but if it's only inceased a few C should i borther? i think the fans run a bit slower than before anyway.

I took it apart today again, to clean it out, now i just see way higher temps in tom clancys rainbow six siege, i give up :P