Pi hole on Arduino?

Can an arduino or similar micro controller run Pi Hole? I'm just trying to get house wide ad blocking as cheap as possible.

not to my knowledge.  you can however run it on basically any linux distro.

it can also be run on the $10 raspberry pi zero W  (although not recommended)

its doesnt take much to run, you may as well just get the rpi3, which is only $35

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Raspberry Pi is the cheapest way.  Actually the cheapest way is to run a VM with pi hole and then incur no hardware cost but you have to leave that VM running 24x7.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

27 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

not to my knowledge.  you can however run it on basically any linux distro.

it can also be run on the $10 raspberry pi zero W  (although not recommended)

its doesnt take much to run, you may as well just get the rpi3, which is only $35

Why is it that it isn't recommended to run it on a raspberry pi zero w?

6 minutes ago, rocketbagel said:

Why is it that it isn't recommended to run it on a raspberry pi zero w?

its recommended to run it other ethernet, which the rpi0w does not have.

it doesnt take a lot to run it, and doesnt even use much network resources, but its just easier to have your dns server connected directly.

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

18 hours ago, Tsuki said:

its recommended to run it other ethernet, which the rpi0w does not have.

it doesnt take a lot to run it, and doesnt even use much network resources, but its just easier to have your dns server connected directly.

You could always use a usb to Ethernet adapter like the ones in this topic:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=152790

but for the combined costs you're getting closer to the cost of a full sized RPi...

I will only ever answer to the best of my ability - there is absolutely no promises that I will be correct. Or helpful. At all.

My toaster:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k @ 4.3GHz
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Formula
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX770 2GB
Case: Some free Sharkoon case
Storage: Crucial MX500 500GB SSD | Western Digital Blue 1TB
PSU: Corsair HX750
Display(s): Acer framless 24" 1080p thing | Acer 22" 1600x900 thing
Cooling: Corsair H100i AIO | 2 x Corsair LL120 front intakes on radiator | 1 x Corsair LL120 rear exhaust
Keyboard: Steelseries Apex
Mouse: R.A.T 7
Sound: HyperX Cloud II headset | Creative EAX 5.1 speakers

1 hour ago, MrJoosh said:

but for the combined costs you're getting closer to the cost of a full sized RPi...

thats why i didnt mention them :)

|Specs in profile|

An Arduino with an ethernet shield could probably do that job, but you would end up programming it from scratch.  The Pi-Hole software most likely won't fit on, much less run on, an AVR.

It would probably be easier to do on something like a Yun, which has a microprocessor running a Linux stack on board, but it's considerably more expensive than a Pi, and again you'll probably have to do a considerable amount of programming yourself.

I would just get a Raspberry Pi, I keep a few spun up and doing various tasks around the house, so once certain planned changes to my LAN are complete, I might just do something like that.