Need help purchasing 2k UltraWide Freesync monitor

Bajantechnician

Hey guys!

so I’ve been looking around, and there seems to be too many variations for me to understand fully. My budget is around 750-775 USD. I’d like a monitor with

freesync

2k resolution (3440x1440)

curved

ultrawide

good Freesync range

mo less than 75htz

hdr 

good colors (8bit or 10 bit/10 bit equivalent, srgb/argb)

LFC

so so far the only one I’ve really found is the LG 34UC99 and the BENQ EX3501R.

as far as I can tell from forum posts, the LG one is terrible for gaming as it’s range is from 50-70 or something like that. I haven’t seen anyone post about editing it successfully though CRU. The 2 monitors have different panels and the LG suports 1b colors while the BenQ supports 16.7m.

Mad of right now, I’m leaning towards the BenQ, but is VA good for photo editing?

im open to other monitors if there any suggestions at all. 

Thank you!

A IPS is nice but horrible at games and also the black are not black and bleeding.  Get the VA panel unless your a pro artist or something.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

8 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

A IPS is nice but horrible at games and also the black are not black and bleeding.  Get the VA panel unless your a pro artist or something.

Gotcha. So stick with va unless I’m a professional (I’m not) va will be perfectly fine for color grading?

Just now, Bajantechnician said:

Gotcha. So stick with va unless I’m a professional (I’m not) va will be perfectly fine for color grading?

Your fine,  the VA also has better angle views and will play games noticeably better.  As I said IPS comes into effect if you are a pro photoshop and premiere user every day for 8 hours a day is your job ya know.  If not then no worries.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

7 hours ago, Turtle Rig said:

Your fine,  the VA also has better angle views and will play games noticeably better.  As I said IPS comes into effect if you are a pro photoshop and premiere user every day for 8 hours a day is your job ya know.  If not then no worries.

I see. I thought IPS had better viewing angles. 

Would you have any suggestions for monitors?

I use a Samsung VA 3440 X 1440 60hz panel. In testing with my GTX 1080 I found that 65 fps was the average frame rate on AAA games. When I used a GTX 980 ti it was in the low 50s. AAA games are a lot harder to play now so I us a GTX 1080 ti.

For a monitor to be a success with your video card you will need a Freesync range that goes into the 40s. 

Here is a good reference. https://www.amd.com/en/products/freesync-monitors

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

On 2/5/2019 at 4:35 PM, Bajantechnician said:

I see. I thought IPS had better viewing angles. 

Would you have any suggestions for monitors?

IPS does have the best viewing angles. I mean end of day it’s preference. I just ordered a IPS myself After I saw it in the shop. Love it.

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

This is an Asus Strix monitor that would seem to fit most of your needs when gaming. If you have the time to wait until the summer, MSI is releasing a very similar monitor but at 144 Hz instead of 100, for about $900

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077M81YJ2/?coliid=I27Y71FATT7PGT&colid=16ZZYZ00XOSNY&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Upcoming MSI monitor

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/msi-optrix-mpg341cqr-specs-price,38382.html

19 hours ago, kurama3114 said:

This is an Asus Strix monitor that would seem to fit most of your needs when gaming. If you have the time to wait until the summer, MSI is releasing a very similar monitor but at 144 Hz instead of 100, for about $900

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077M81YJ2/?coliid=I27Y71FATT7PGT&colid=16ZZYZ00XOSNY&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Upcoming MSI monitor

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/msi-optrix-mpg341cqr-specs-price,38382.html

What would be better between the Strix XG35VQ you linked and this Benq EX3501R?

edit: how about this one?

Acer XR382CQK

edit 2: Hows the massdrop vast and the monoprice zero-g 35"?

20 hours ago, Stormseeker9 said:

IPS does have the best viewing angles. I mean end of day it’s preference. I just ordered a IPS myself After I saw it in the shop. Love it.

how is the contrast on IPS?

Quick Question: What is this monitor for? How will it be used?

Fyi there's a lot of bullshit in this subforum, don't believe everything people say especially when its about a monitor they have never seen before. Look at external and credible reviews in addition to people's recommendations. As far as the whole IPS vs VA thing, I find it counterproductive to stereotype them. I'd recommend to look at monitor's individually, paper specs only mean so much and you'll find that even monitors with similar specs can have vastly different irl performance, including stuff like contrast.

4 hours ago, Bajantechnician said:

The Asus and the BenQ both ue the same panel so they are almost identical in performance. The difference mostly comes in appearence and build quality. In this case I'd prefer the Asus.

4 hours ago, Bajantechnician said:

edit: how about this one?

Acer XR382CQK

edit 2: Hows the massdrop vast and the monoprice zero-g 35"?

how is the contrast on IPS?

Ok, so I've looked at all of the monitors. They are all pretty similar when it comes to raw specs, but not in reliability or features. I would definitely not get the Monoprice monitor because there have been many reports of poor reliability, backlight bleed, dead pixels, etc... Surprisingly, the massdrop monitor has the best specs of the 4, with a 2 ms response time, with the rest having 4. However, it is lacking many of the features that its' more mainstream competitors have, as well as not being as color accurate. It doesn't have HDR either. Speaking of HDR, the only one on the list that has it is BenQ's monitor, and it also has USB-C connectivity. All things considered, I would have to say that the Monitor from ASUS is the best all around when it comes to gaming. It is extremely reliable, great color accuracy, and an unmatched assortment of gaming oriented features. For the best value per dollar though, I would say that the Massdrop monitor dominates.

3 hours ago, Sombra said:

Quick Question: What is this monitor for? How will it be used?

Fyi there's a lot of bullshit in this subforum, don't believe everything people say especially when its about a monitor they have never seen before. Look at external and credible reviews in addition to people's recommendations. As far as the whole IPS vs VA thing, I find it counterproductive to stereotype them. I'd recommend to look at monitor's individually, paper specs only mean so much and you'll find that even monitors with similar specs can have vastly different irl performance, including stuff like contrast.

The Asus and the BenQ both ue the same panel so they are almost identical in performance. The difference mostly comes in appearence and build quality. In this case I'd prefer the Asus.

I will be using it for occasional gaming (as on more than occasional but not daily) as well as editing photos/videos. 

Is there any specific reason why the Asus is better than the Benq?

3 hours ago, kurama3114 said:

Ok, so I've looked at all of the monitors. They are all pretty similar when it comes to raw specs, but not in reliability or features. I would definitely not get the Monoprice monitor because there have been many reports of poor reliability, backlight bleed, dead pixels, etc... Surprisingly, the massdrop monitor has the best specs of the 4, with a 2 ms response time, with the rest having 4. However, it is lacking many of the features that its' more mainstream competitors have, as well as not being as color accurate. It doesn't have HDR either. Speaking of HDR, the only one on the list that has it is BenQ's monitor, and it also has USB-C connectivity. All things considered, I would have to say that the Monitor from ASUS is the best all around when it comes to gaming. It is extremely reliable, great color accuracy, and an unmatched assortment of gaming oriented features. For the best value per dollar though, I would say that the Massdrop monitor dominates.

Yeah, I've heard that the monoprice is the best bang for the buck, but it got some backlight bleed issues, as well as a really hard to navigate OSD. 

Would any of the monitors other than the monoprice support LFC? The Asus also only goes to 75hz right? I've looked around and can't find anyone who was able to use CRU on it successfully.

Comparing the Asus and the Benq, which one would be better overall? not just for gaming?