Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CUDAcores89

what will happen to LMG far into the future?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Okay so something just occurred to me:

All media productions tend to have an explosion in popularity, then they plateau, then they get replaced by something else.

Just look at channels like Fred, smosh, mythbusters, or filthy frank. Remember how these media agencies were hugely popular, now people don't even remember them?

Second, Linus Sebastian is a human, and humans do this thing called aging. Meaning eventually, Linus will have to retire at some point. Can you imagine Linus running Linus Media Group when he is 50? 40 maybe, but 50 hell no.

Here is what I am trying to get across: Eventually at some point, LMG and it's content will no longer be popular or disappear from the internet altogether. Now you might think this can't happen, but anyone remember the NCIX YouTube channel? It had millions of subscribers, now the channel has gone silent when NCIX ultimately went bankrupt.

Here are some other examples:

The same thing has already happened with the youtube channel "Grant Thompson, the king of random"? Grant himself no longer does the actual content, and if you read the youtube comments, people do not like the direction the channel has moved in and he's losing the original community.

There are other examples of this from TV. Remember the Mythbusters? After Adam and Jamie called it quits, discovery channels new mythbusters show hasn't been the same, and it has lost it's core audience.

When you build a company like LMG tied to a specific individual, that individual is core to the business. Take said individual away and the content takes a nose dive, the core audience leaves, and the media agency goes downhill until it ceases to exist. 

20 years from now, I would be willing to bet Linus Media group will either publish content substantially different from today (and thus not be nearly as popular as today), or possibly even no longer exist. Linus media group is so heavily tied to the person linus himself that linus basically is the embodiment if LMG. If linus leaves, his personality changes, or the content the channel publishes changes drastically, LMG will no longer be the same.

Now I Know that Linus media group probably isn't thinking this far into the future, but the fat of the matter is LTT as a channel WILL change. To mitigate this, LTT needs to do a few things different from what they're already doing. These could be things like try to get Linus to show up on camera less often, or try to get the employees to do even more videos than they do now. My point is shift the focus of the company away from Linus himself and move it towards the content that the company produces instead. This way when Linus eventually has to leave, you will not alienate your original audience and hopefully save the agency from a nose dive in popularity.

I know LMG is definitely not thinking this far out but at some point LMG will come to an end. the only question is when?

Just now, RorzNZ said:

Linus and other staff have made it clear they are constantly trying to improve, both the platform they use and the format. LMG will not die out, rather evolve. 

Correct. but the LMG itself have a contingency plan when Linus has to eventually leave the company? Will LMG not exist at that point? Maybe it will change it's name?

Just now, CUDAcores89 said:

Correct. but the LMG itself have a contingency plan when Linus has to eventually leave the company? Will LMG not exist at that point? Maybe it will change it's name?

Probably Luke will take over, the company name doesn't need to change. LMG is still a young company, but already they diversity quite a lot. I also believe what LMG does is quite unique - technology companies will always need coverage for their products and as long as LMG has their audience / influence, it is hard to pass up an opportunity. 

Some smart kid that doesn't drop things will come along and make another tech channel.

My sound system costs more than my PC.        Check out my S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Intel i7 4790k | ASUS GTX770 | ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB | NZXT S340 | Seasonic Platinum 760 | modded H100i | Ducky ONE White TKL RGB | Logitech MX Master 2S | 2x Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | WD Red 4TB Samsung 58" 4k TV | 2x Behringer NEKKST K8 | BIC Acoustech H-100II | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Some smart kid that doesn't drop things will come along and make another tech channel.

But then your 47,000 posts will be meaningless :(

1 minute ago, CUDAcores89 said:

But then your 47,000 posts will be meaningless :(

They already were :(

My sound system costs more than my PC.        Check out my S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Intel i7 4790k | ASUS GTX770 | ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB | NZXT S340 | Seasonic Platinum 760 | modded H100i | Ducky ONE White TKL RGB | Logitech MX Master 2S | 2x Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | WD Red 4TB Samsung 58" 4k TV | 2x Behringer NEKKST K8 | BIC Acoustech H-100II | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Time Warner purchases it for $3.4M, makes it a series of 10-minute videos involving some dude applying too many gags into a CPU socket, and then scraps it for a tax deduction. 

Spoiler

Maybe we also get an HBO series with "dual-socket" installations.  

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Just now, ARikozuM said:

Time Warner purchases it for $3.4M, makes it a series of 10-minute videos involving some dude applying too many gags into a CPU socket, and then scraps it for a tax deduction. 

Hide contents

Maybe we also get an HBO series with "dual-socket" installations.  

3.4M seems really cheap comparatively. I know people personally who could just buy the company ourtight for that price.

More like 340M

Just now, SupaKomputa said:

LMG can copy what TYT network done, which involving more presenters than just centered the whole network to Cenk Uygur.

But I love the guy that yells... 😥

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

3.4M seems really cheap comparatively. I know people personally who could just buy the company ourtight for that price.

More like 340M

Are we talking Canadian? I'm talking American. 

[calls the accountants over]

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

LMG can copy what TYT network done, which involving more presenters than just centered the whole network to Cenk Uygur.

Uhh TYT is cancer. Hopefully they impliment this strategy better lol.

2 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Are we talking Canadian? I'm talking American. 

Yeah, $3.4M american lol. 3.4M canadian would only buy me a mcdonalds meal and a T-shirt.

/s

the only reason I know people with that high net worth is because my dad is an investment manager. He manages the wealth for a few hundred clients, some of which have combined family net worth's around this figure.

Yeah, $3.4M american lol.

As much as I don't want to speak ill of anyone's net worth, the number was chosen based on multiple websites showing his net worth around $1.0M and $1.7M.

Just now, SupaKomputa said:

Well, its better than Alex Jones.

Alex Jones you mean. LOL

That's the guy that gays everything. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

15 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

As much as I don't want to speak ill of anyone's net worth, the number was chosen based on multiple websites showing his net worth around $1.0M and $1.7M.

That's the guy that gays everything. 

Linuses personal net worth us VERY different from the company net worth.

Im guessing you dont know much about how personal and business funds, but linus sebastians personal net worth is completely different from his companys net worth. That figure quoted be websites is his estimated personal net worth.

For example, I actually do own a business called circletech LLC. For legal reasons, the business and myself are seen as entirely seperate entities. For example, if someone asked me my personal net worth, it would not include my businesses net worth. Similarly if someone tried to sue me for something I did running my business, they would only ne able to sue Circletech LLC and not my personal assets.

Heres my point. Linuses net worth is an entirely seperate entity from his companys net worth. We need to pretend his company is one person and linus is another person because for legal reasons, they are viewed under the eye of the law as different people. I would not be at all suprised if the assets that LMG currently posesses is greater than linuses personal net worth both in physical products and as a brand.

People still read IGN & pc gamer. 

Linus appears to be more or less already training some staff people that appear in videos. I’m not worried. 

Luke used to host & people liked him. It’s not difficult to find new camera people for them. 

They have a fairly clear writing style too. Everyone more or less gets the vibe they aim for there. They’ve been at it like 10~ years. 

LTT Fan Fiction:

PC game list: 

1 hour ago, CUDAcores89 said:

Can you imagine Linus running Linus Media Group when he is 50? 40 maybe, but 50 hell no.

Absolutely.  Just because you're past your 30s doesn't mean it's time to retire.  The core audience will grow older and LMG will probably adjust their style to suit.  In 20 or 30 years, the WAN show may still be around.  It'll just look a lot like "This Week in Tech" does now ... except for having clickbait titles.

1 hour ago, CUDAcores89 said:

Can you imagine Linus running Linus Media Group when he is 50? 40 maybe, but 50 hell no.

Why wouldn't I? I watch a lot of tech-stuff being run by older people, doesn't in any way or form hurt the content. If anything, Linus will be the still-kid-at-heart kinda techy-grandpa and draw people to the channel simply because of that.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

As Linus has pointed out YouTube is not the only venue they seek to use; along with FloatPlane Media on the horizon, LMG is also expanding to produce for other media outlets. I foresee LMG becoming a large contender to other major Media outlets with a strong competitive means. They are very open minded and not stuck to just one way of traditional video production. I see LMG becoming what is commonly referred to as a household brand.

Tech News Posting Guidelines - READ BEFORE POSTING | Community Standards | Forum Staff

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ | F@H Contribution | My Rig | Project Steamroller

Spoiler

†  

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.

~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "the best way to learn is to teach" ~ Benjamin Jantz

I am a StarCitizen are you? My ships: Aegis Eclipse, Aegis Sabre, Aegis Gladius, Aopoa Nox, KI P52 Merlin, KI P72 Archimedes and the RSI Constellation Aquila.

My Phones are a Nokia Lumia 925 with WM10 and a Microsoft Lumia 950 XL with WM10 running the Fast Ring insider updates. Broke :(

Samsung Note 9 and a Samsung S9+

About Myself:   https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/229093-sansvarnic/?tab=field_core_pfield_46

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

i see LMG disappearing in the end, and it will be replaced by creators that offer actual technical information and don't clickbait their video's to all holy hell. 

DISCLAIMER: ANYTHING I SAY COULD BE WRONG. DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH! 

Have a look at my set up your linux gaming pc from start to finish topic if you want to get started with linux :) 

My laptop: MacBook Pro 15" Late 2011 (dGPU disabled): I7 2675QM | HD3000 | 1TB SSD | 16GB RAM | macOS

4 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

I don't think that this is a good plan considering TYT is doing run of the mill clickbait partisan news stuff and they are not really doing well.

19 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

i see LMG disappearing in the end, and it will be replaced by creators that offer actual technical information and don't clickbait their video's to all holy hell. 

I don't think a lot of people actually care about clickbait to the point that they won't watch a content creator due to them having clickbait titles.

I think this is one of those issues where there is a very loud minority complaining about it while most people just don't care.

1 minute ago, NeuesTestament said:

I don't think a lot of people actually care about clickbait to the point that they won't watch a content creator due to them having clickbait titles.

I think this is one of those issues where there is a very loud minority complaining about it while most people just don't care.

i stopped watching them and the clickbait was one of the reasons why. i don't like seeing caps lock in my subscriptions feed every day. 

DISCLAIMER: ANYTHING I SAY COULD BE WRONG. DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH! 

Have a look at my set up your linux gaming pc from start to finish topic if you want to get started with linux :) 

My laptop: MacBook Pro 15" Late 2011 (dGPU disabled): I7 2675QM | HD3000 | 1TB SSD | 16GB RAM | macOS