Email Notification When Changes Made to Network Folder

I'm working as a graduate assistant this semester and was tasked with helping figure out how to get a process more automated within my department. I am an accounting major so my computer programming experience is next to zero. I am trying to figure out the best way to have email notifications sent to folks when files are added from to a network folder. We are using PDF fillable forms and they get one process completed in one network folder by an employee and then get copied over to another network folder for the next person to complete their portion. It's at that point that I'd like the system to send an email notification maybe every hour or something if there have been additions to the folder. I don't really care about email notifications for file deletion. The problem I've run into so far with solutions I've found online is that my organization uses Gmail for our email services and every batch file I've found requires the usage of Outlook or some other type of SMTP type email set up. 

Thanks

which language are you using and do you have problem finding files that changes ?