help!! sound card and 7.1 home theater with dolby atmos and dts on pc for games and movies???

Go to solution Solved by F900EX,

GTX 1080 ti aorus <<< other than your 7.1 system this all u need. I have a similar setup using a Dolby Atmos Onkyo receiver. HDMI cable > 1080ti > receiver select game mode then configure your windows 10 sound setup, select AV receiver and your good to go. Most of these guys above don't have a clue so take it from someone whos been using a similar setup for many years that you want....I have had no issues and it works great. 

I have been thinking about buying a 7.1 home theater with dolby atmos and dts to watch movies, play video games and listen to music from my pc. I found this home theater and it looks great Onkyo THX Certified 7.1-Channel Surround Sound Speaker System Black (HT-S9800THX) seems to meet what I'm looking for and offers me interesting extras like airplay and chomecast. To activate the dolby atmos I have to change the configuration to 5.2.2 ch is fine for me. But well this is my question the home theater I will use it only on the pc and I was thinking how I should connect it to my pc to be able to use everything that the home theater offers me I would like to play the games in surround 5.1, 7.1, 5.2.2 that support dolby atmos, true hd, pro logic 2 etc. and of course also the movies. These are the specifications of my computer in case it helps them to solve my question easier
Corsair Vengeance Led Red 16gb Ram 3200mhz
AMD Ryzen 7 1700x Processor
960 Evo Samsung M.2 500GB SSD
EVGA SuperNova GS 850 Watts
Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming K7
GTX 1080 ti aorus
the monitor I use in displayport to be able to use gsync and to 144hz
the sound of the motherboard Supports Creative® Sound Blaster X-Fi MB5
Double ALC 1220 on the front and 120dB SNR HD Audio with dual headphones with smart amplifier on the back
So summarizing my question how I need to connect the home theater to the pc and take advantage of the surround of dolby atmos and dts in games and movies? Do you recommend buying a sound card to get the most out of it? and if so, which supports dolby atmos and 7.1, 5.2.2 channels? I've already searched for some sound cards like this one: Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5 Hi-Resolution PCIe Gaming Sound Card
 but I do not know if  support it. what I mentioned what i should do ??? Excuse my English and extend the question in advance thank you very much.

61htDIGXgaL._SL1500_.jpg

71cxHRQDM8L._SL1500_.jpg

Your motherboard should have support baked in already.

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   ZOTAC RTX 2080   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x16Gb TRIDENT Z ROYAL  |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor

6 minutes ago, CharminUltraStrong said:

Your motherboard should have support baked in already.

Motherboard does not support Dolby Atmos

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

7 minutes ago, Constantin said:

Motherboard does not support Dolby Atmos

If he's insistent on Dolby atmos in a 5.1.2 config, which I'm not sure how he'd achieve, unless he awkwardly mounts 2 of the satellites, then he'd be better off with a disc player assuming he'd use it for movie watching. Though it appears he'll be at a desk wherein, dolby atmos would be pointless as there's not enough space for him to be isolated in nor distance between him and the speakers for it to actually make a difference.

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   ZOTAC RTX 2080   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x16Gb TRIDENT Z ROYAL  |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor

I use the pc as a console very often so I have it in the main room of the house so when i have guest´s we can all play games or watch movies and I want to play a sound with surround dts or dolby support and i want to know how i can do that before buying the home theater package I want to know how should I configure it should I just connect it via HDMI of the nvidia graphic card?

On 2/4/2019 at 10:00 PM, Joshua Meltz said:

I use the pc as a console very often so I have it in the main room of the house so when i have guest´s we can all play games or watch movies and I want to play a sound with surround dts or dolby support and i want to know how i can do that before buying the home theater package I want to know how should I configure it should I just connect it via HDMI of the nvidia graphic card?

I would connect it via hdmi to the receiver, the audio isnt compressed then, do this with my denon avc-x8500h

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

On 2/4/2019 at 1:34 AM, CharminUltraStrong said:

If he's insistent on Dolby atmos in a 5.1.2 config, which I'm not sure how he'd achieve, unless he awkwardly mounts 2 of the satellites, then he'd be better off with a disc player assuming he'd use it for movie watching. Though it appears he'll be at a desk wherein, dolby atmos would be pointless as there's not enough space for him to be isolated in nor distance between him and the speakers for it to actually make a difference.

not sure if I understand this because he is at a desk he cant get height added to his sound?

23 hours ago, pas008 said:

not sure if I understand this because he is at a desk he cant get height added to his sound?

Dolby atmos works with upwards firing speakers that get put on top of the front 2 speakers, typically, in a 5.1.2. With the speaker set he's chosen they'd have to be mounted above him and firing downards but the whole effect will be ruined because

1. There is not distance between him and his monitor
  2. It will sound like something is making noise above you and your ears will separate it instead of getting that "height effect"
  3.  He's close to the rear satellites, adding atmos would just throw you off. 

The Louvre

2 minutes ago, CharminUltraStrong said:

Dolby atmos works with upwards firing speakers that get put on top of the front 2 speakers, typically, in a 5.1.2. With the speaker set he's chosen they'd have to be mounted above him and firing downards but the whole effect will be ruined because

1. There is not distance between him and his monitor
  2. It will sound like something is making noise above you and your ears will separate it instead of getting that "height effect"
  3.  He's close to the rear satellites, adding atmos would just throw you off. 

wow

do you have atmos?

and fyi you can still distinguish sounds coming from other angles just like real life lol

but bass its harder to distinguish where

right now could you hear someone tapping on the wall  behind you left or right, or side of you left or right? in front of you left or right?

why cant you hear above you left or right?

shit you could tell the difference in a closet couldnt you?

ok then

Just now, pas008 said:

-snip-

I have an atmos setup in my theater room...If you are too close to the atmos speakers(the ones that add height effect) it doesn't make a damn difference. Hell it's actually annoying because you're not far enough away to hear a height effect. Again, it simply sounds like sound being repeated above you, adds nothing to the experience and is beyond frustrating. When I want to lounge in my egg chair to watch the news I, typically, disable atmos all together and run the center, L, R and Sub. It is incredibly bothersome. It adds height to the sound meaning, it just makes it feel like more sound is coming at you thus filling the room. If you're 2 inches from the fucking speakers then there's no space for them to fill making the effect distracting, I can't believe I have to explain this. I probably COULD tell the difference in a closet because my closet would be FAR AWAY from the atmos speakers that drive the effect, Jesus crispy Christ. Also, yes you can distinguish between left, right, front, rear, I wasn't denying this. What I AM denying is that you can't feel a height effect when the sound is going OVER your head and not reaching your ears like it ought to.

The Louvre

1 minute ago, CharminUltraStrong said:

I have an atmos setup in my theater room...If you are too close to the atmos speakers(the ones that add height effect) it doesn't make a damn difference. Hell it's actually annoying because you're not far enough away to hear a height effect. Again, it simply sounds like sound being repeated above you, adds nothing to the experience and is beyond frustrating. When I want to lounge in my egg chair to watch the news I, typically, disable atmos all together and run the center, L, R and Sub. It is incredibly bothersome. It adds height to the sound meaning, it just makes it feel like more sound is coming at you thus filling the room. If you're 2 inches from the fucking speakers then there's no space for them to fill making the effect distracting, I can't believe I have to explain this. I probably COULD tell the difference in a closet because my closet would be FAR AWAY from the atmos speakers that drive the effect, Jesus crispy Christ. Also, yes you can distinguish between left, right, front, rear, I wasn't denying this. What I AM denying is that you can't feel a height effect when the sound is going OVER your head and not reaching your ears like it ought to.

thats what room correction is for or changing volumes/delay setting are for

1 minute ago, pas008 said:

thats what room correction is for or changing volumes/delay setting are for

Sigh, you're not understanding. Room correction isn't going to make it so that the effect works when you are literally right up against it. It can't make the invisible surfaces for the sound to bounce off of and reach your ears.

The Louvre

4 minutes ago, CharminUltraStrong said:

Sigh, you're not understanding. Room correction isn't going to make it so that the effect works when you are literally right up against it. It can't make the invisible surfaces for the sound to bounce off of and reach your ears.

I can tell the difference easily standing in the mix of it all

6 minutes ago, pas008 said:

I can tell the difference easily standing in the mix of it all

No you can't, coming from someone who is ACTIVELY running an Atmos set up it does not work if you are THAT close to it. It's not magic.

The Louvre

23 minutes ago, CharminUltraStrong said:

No you can't, coming from someone who is ACTIVELY running an Atmos set up it does not work if you are THAT close to it. It's not magic.

So you are telling me i can hear sound from above?

Lol

You are hilarious

1 hour ago, pas008 said:

So you are telling me i can hear sound from above?

Lol

You are hilarious

That's not what atmos is. It's not "Sound from above" it adds a HEIGHT effect, my god.

The Louvre

1 hour ago, CharminUltraStrong said:

-snip-

Lol above is height right?

Now resulting to name calling i see

Lol wow

Just now, pas008 said:

-snip-

Why are you still talking to me? I, quite literally, OWN an ATMOS SYSTEM and I am explaining WHAT YOU WILL EXPERIENCE WITH IT. There is no height to the sound if it's above you, the upper and lower channels don't mesh together. What I am saying is, simply, factual and it is something I am experiencing with Atmos. It's tantamount to putting rear satellites next to your front speakers and sitting directly in front of them, you can't perceive depth if the sounds that should be behind you are in front.

The Louvre

5 minutes ago, CharminUltraStrong said:

Why are you still talking to me? I, quite literally, OWN an ATMOS SYSTEM and I am explaining WHAT YOU WILL EXPERIENCE WITH IT. There is no height to the sound if it's above you, the upper and lower channels don't mesh together. What I am saying is, simply, factual and it is something I am experiencing with Atmos. It's tantamount to putting rear satellites next to your front speakers and sitting directly in front of them, you can't perceive depth if the sounds that should be behind you are in front.

same here with shit that supports it you can hear the difference anywhere I am in my living room even directly in front of my 70inch tv

2 minutes ago, pas008 said:

same here with shit that supports it you can hear the difference anywhere I am in my living room even directly in front of my 70inch tv

You don't have an atmos system, if you did then you'd understand what I'm talking about.

The Louvre

Just now, CharminUltraStrong said:

You don't have an atmos system, if you did then you'd understand what I'm talking about.

lol accessories for less is a great site

and I know you think that they get muffled mine dont i can get positional sound from above and tell ez

same reason I use virtual surround on headphones to be immersed

2 minutes ago, pas008 said:

lol accessories for less is a great site

and I know you think that they get muffled mine dont i can get positional sound from above and tell ez

same reason I use virtual surround on headphones to be immersed

What the fuck are you talking about? Mine aren't muffled at all, at what point did I say anything about muffling? You clearly don't own an atmos system. Virtual surround on headphones is not the same thing as true surround, why even bring that up as a comparison?

The Louvre

1 minute ago, CharminUltraStrong said:

What the fuck are you talking about? Mine aren't muffled at all, at what point did I say anything about muffling? You clearly don't own an atmos system. Virtual surround on headphones is not the same thing as true surround, why even bring that up as a comparison?

lol pretty fucking close for only 2 channels to simulate hrtf how do you think atmos works on headphones

you said the upper and lower channels don't mesh together

lol sounds like muffling to me

you get positional sound above they even state that even overhead on their website along with controlling the sounds lol

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/home/dolby-atmos.html

GTX 1080 ti aorus <<< other than your 7.1 system this all u need. I have a similar setup using a Dolby Atmos Onkyo receiver. HDMI cable > 1080ti > receiver select game mode then configure your windows 10 sound setup, select AV receiver and your good to go. Most of these guys above don't have a clue so take it from someone whos been using a similar setup for many years that you want....I have had no issues and it works great. 

57 minutes ago, F900EX said:

thx for the advice, i will try it :) What it does game mode?