RX 580, screen goes black, white LED on the GPU

ismdct

Hi everyone.

I would be enormously grateful if someone helped me solve my problem. I've got the this build:

Ryzen 5 2600 stock, no OC

MoBo Asus ROG Strix B450-I

Gigabyte Radeon RX580 8G, default clocks and settings

PSU Seasonic 550W, 80 Gold

Very rarely during gaming my screen goes black, sound turns off and it overall looks like the system has just crashed. However, the fans keep spinning as if it works normally. It won't reboot, just keeps working until I do a hard reset manually. The Windows crash logs only show that the system was shut down incorrectly, i.e. because I force reset it, not because something went wrong with the hardware.

Last time it happened I noticed that the white LED near the power connector on the graphics card had turned on (not blinking, constantly on). I couldn't find enough info about what that means, but my best guess is that the PSU is failing to supply enough power to the GPU. Now, I didn't want to invest into an obviously overkill power unit, so I decided that according to the PSU calculator 550W should be enough for my modest build with minimum extra components. Plus, 80 Gold should be stable enough. I've got 4 case fans total hooked up using 2 fan splitters and no drives other than an NVMe SSD.

My other suspect was GPU overheating, but the temps under load never reached 80 degrees, so it's operating within the safe range.

Please help. Should I get a more powerful PSU? I can still return the current one if I know that it's the problematic part, but I'm not 100% sure.

Your PSU is more than capable of powering your system, test another 8pin power connector and see if it fixes the issue. When the LED is on it means its disconnected from power. So if swapping the 8pin doesn't work take the PSU back to the shop and get it replaced. And if you still have issues after getting the PSU replaced RMA the card. 

(◣_◢) Ryzen 5 3600,   Aorus X370 K7,   XPG 16GB 3200,   Gigabyte 2070 Windforce Corsair RM650x,   LG 32GK650F-B 31.5" 144Hz QHD FreeSync VA,   Kingston 120GB SSD,   Samsung 1TB 860 QVO,   2TB HDD,   Fractal Design Meshify C,   Corsair K63 Wireless,   Corsair Gaming M65 PRO,   Audio Technica ATH M50x,   Windows 10 ProCorsair H100x 240mm.  (◣_◢)

(◣_◢) Ryzen 5 1600,   Noctua NH-L12S,   Gigabyte GTX 1060 6G,   ASUS Prime B350 Plus,   HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 (2666MHz - 1.3v),   SilverStone ET550-B,   Kingston 120GB SSD 2TB HDD,   Cougar MX330,   Windows 10 Pro.  (◣_◢)

I think that's an issue with the Radeon Software Adrenaline 2019 Edition 19.1.x drivers

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

5 hours ago, Wormhole said:

Your PSU is more than capable of powering your system, test another 8pin power connector and see if it fixes the issue. When the LED is on it means its disconnected from power. So if swapping the 8pin doesn't work take the PSU back to the shop and get it replaced. And if you still have issues after getting the PSU replaced RMA the card. 

Hey Wormhole thank you for your reply! I decided to replace the PSU anyway since I'm within the time period when I can return and replace items. I'll report back if this has any effect on solving the problem.

5 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

I think that's an issue with the Radeon Software Adrenaline 2019 Edition 19.1.x drivers

Hey AluminiumTech, thanks for the suggestion! Is it a known issue that someone else has also experienced? Sounds bizarre that drivers can cause such an erratic behavior. I didn't install Adrenalin, but I had some preinstalled Radeon software which surprisingly came with my Windows installation, and the version was 17 point something IIRC. Can updating to the latest drivers be a solution?

1 hour ago, ismdct said:

Hey Wormhole thank you for your reply! I decided to replace the PSU anyway since I'm within the time period when I can return and replace items. I'll report back if this has any effect on solving the problem.

1 hour ago, ismdct said:

Hey AluminiumTech, thanks for the suggestion! Is it a known issue that someone else has also experienced?

I don't believe so but I've encountered a kind of similar thing on the latest drivers with my Vega 56.

1 hour ago, ismdct said:

Sounds bizarre that drivers can cause such an erratic behavior. I didn't install Adrenalin, but I had some preinstalled Radeon software which surprisingly came with my Windows installation, and the version was 17 point something IIRC. Can updating to the latest drivers be a solution?

It could be.

I would definitely try updating your drivers.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Update!

I've changed my PSU to Corsair RM750x but I still got the black screen once after I did it, so PSU is ruled out as a possible suspect.

I've also googled the symptoms to check if it's a more common problem and turns out, it is. I researched possible ways that helped someone solve the issue. Here's the measures I've taken:

1. Removed all graphics drivers with AMD Cleanup Utility and installed the last version of the drivers from Gigabyte support page, which is 17.8.1;

2. Increased the GPU power limit in Wattman by 20% and changed the max and target GPU temps slightly;

3. Set up the TdrDelay registry variable to 15 sec in order to prevent Windows from immediately crashing the graphics drivers as soon as they stop responding.

So far I haven't had black screen for a few days now. The GPU fans are blowing much louder, but it looks stable. I also ran Aida64 system stability test for a few minutes and it didn't crash nor cause any trouble.

So far I'm certain that this has to be a software issue with a very slight chance that it's a faulty graphics card. If it's neither, then I've got a veeeeery low suspicion that it might be due to RAM incompatibility with Ryzen, but I've got absolutely no evidence to back this up.

I'll keep observing the system stability and posting the updates for a week or so, and if I notice no more black screens during that period then I'll consider this topic solved.

• 2 weeks later...

The issue hasn't repeated since my last update. I'll consider it solved until the moment it happens again.

• 9 months later...

Hello! I'm having similar issues. 

In my pc i have:

Ryzen 5 2600

Radeon RX580

16gb ddr4 

I have extremely slow internet and haven't logged onto my PC in a while. I decided to get on the night before, downloading a few updates so it would be done the next day. Everything running fine. I got on it the next morning, still everything running great until i started up a game. About 10-15 seconds into the game, my game crashed, with my PC along with it. I thought it just might've overheated, so I took of the side-panel off and put a fan on it, leaving it for about 20-30 minutes. Came back after that and the GPU was freezing cold. I powered it on and the GPU fans were not spinning, the 'Fan Stop' Light came on, along with this white LED coming from the power connector. Nothing was coming up on my monitor either. I found one the cables had melted and was burned off. I was a bit shocked, but decided to fix it. Me and my dad fixed it with new connectors, and it booted up fine, everything ran fine. I loaded into the same game again, and I noticed my FPS had dropped about 30-40 more than usual. After a few seconds, My monitor went black, but i could hear my spotify music playing still. I rebooted, and noticed that my graphics drivers are not updated. I update them, and while updating, nothing else running in the background, it crashes again, screen going black. 

I was thinking about it and I thought getting another more powerful PSU. Would this fix the issue? I think the reason it was doing it after it was fixed was due to not enough power to it. I have a decent PSU and it should be able to power the system I have. I have a 550W PSU, so I wouldn't expect this to occur. Would you recommend me getting a better quality power supply?

Thanks, Qaizr