Hacking Nvidia's Drivers!

On 3/1/2019 at 1:47 PM, dartraiden said:

Download and unpack latest working driver

Replace files in /Display.Driver/ subfolder (replace existing ones)

nv_dispi.inf

nvaci.inf

The link to the .Inf files don't work anymore, could you please post them again as i just got my card and eager to try get it working :) 

23 hours ago, Ivob_ said:

Hey guys, is this method woking with every motherboard and cpu configuration or there are some limitation?

I'm currently trying to make a p106 work with a core i5 2400 in an intel motherboard but i cant make it working .

Yeah it doesn't work. I hope someone can figure out how to make it work on Ivy Bridge

On 3/1/2019 at 2:47 PM, dartraiden said:

Download and unpack latest working driver

Replace files in /Display.Driver/ subfolder (replace existing ones)

nv_dispi.inf

nvaci.inf

Do i have to disable secure boot before installing this or are there some other steps? because i get "NVIDIA installer failed" error when trying to install this

This definitely didn't have enough hoodies and green command lines to be called HaCkiNg ....

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

High performance GPU pass through is not enabled on desktop processors below Haswell, it may not be physically possible to perform that function.

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

High performance GPU pass through is not enabled on desktop processors below Haswell, it may not be physically possible to perform that function.

I don't think it's a physical limitation - Windows does all the work using DXGI to capture the framebuffer of the rendering card and send it to the output card. My guess is that the Haswell iGPU drivers set a registry key or their hardware IDs are on a whitelist somewhere that tells Windows they're low-power GPUs - So then the P106 (or any other GPU you want) will show up as the high performance GPU.

If someone can figure out how to "force" a GPU to be "low power", that would work regardless of configuration. Unfortunately, my searches through the registry have so far come up empty. Looking into the differences between the infs for Haswell and pre-Haswell Intel drivers might give us some clues.

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

2 hours ago, GabenJr said:

I don't think it's a physical limitation - Windows does all the work using DXGI to capture the framebuffer of the rendering card and send it to the output card. My guess is that the Haswell iGPU drivers set a registry key or their hardware IDs are on a whitelist somewhere that tells Windows they're low-power GPUs - So then the P106 (or any other GPU you want) will show up as the high performance GPU.

If someone can figure out how to "force" a GPU to be "low power", that would work regardless of configuration. Unfortunately, my searches through the registry have so far come up empty. Looking into the differences between the infs for Haswell and pre-Haswell Intel drivers might give us some clues.

2nd and 3rd gen Core-i laptops have used dual graphics, correct? Maybe there's something in drivers differentiating the desktop and mobile graphics/cpu for the earlier gen CPU's not allowing this pass through, that may be a good place to begin looking for the differences to find the parts (in software) that need to be stitched together to make a solution for previous gen hardware users.

My honest take is...locked Intel Haswell CPU's and beyond are fairly cheap and offers some great $/Performance/Watt advantages over the 2nd and even 3rd gen parts, if you're not seeking unlocked they're competitively priced in the used market so there's really not a huge incentive to not upgrade even if you're on a budget the performance per watt scales up great with Haswell and beyond so the long term savings and ease of upgrade path (more PCI-E lanes, USB 3.0, higher speeds of DDR3, more DMI bandwidth, etc) really make sense. However if someone can get the pass through working for previous gen stuff, it's stable, it doesn't require mauling the OS to make it work, it's probably worth it.

I appear to be missing the "Advanced Graphical Options" button. Does anyone have any clue?

On 3/3/2019 at 5:42 PM, variaator said:

Do i have to disable secure boot before installing this or are there some other steps?

Yes, and enable test mode as described in the first post. You can disable test mode and enable Secure Boot aftet successfull installation.

I compared the 417.22 (last on which modifications work) and 417.35 (error 43) drivers. Protection against driver modification is located inside nvlddmkm.sys  but the amount of changes is too large to find the necessary code. Technically, you can replace this file by older one, but it does not make sense, because you will get the old version of the driver (easier to just install patched 417.22).

Also there is an easier way to game on P106 without modifying the drivers at all! Just search registry for "EnableMsHybrid" key. Delete "AdapterType", "EnableCoproc" and "EnableMsHybrid" keys (they are in the same section), then reboot. GPU-Z will show that the P106 received DirectCompute support. Seems like AdapterType=2 blocks DirectCompute and EnableMsHybrid=0 blocks Microsoft Hybrid Graphics support.

Also there is an easier way to game on P106 without modifying the drivers at all! Just search registry for "EnableMsHybrid" key. Delete "AdapterType" key (in the same section), then disable and re-enable P106-100 in device manager. GPU-Z will show that the P106 received DirectCompute support. And you can force any game to use the P106 to render.
Seems like newest nvlddmkm.sys cheks "AdapterType" key and if this key missing or not equal 2 or 3, driver stops work.

13 hours ago, dartraiden said:

Also there is an easier way to game on P106 without modifying the drivers at all! Just search registry for "EnableMsHybrid" key. Delete "AdapterType", "EnableCoproc" and "EnableMsHybrid" keys (they are in the same section), then reboot. GPU-Z will show that the P106 received DirectCompute support. Seems like AdapterType=2 blocks DirectCompute and EnableMsHybrid=0 blocks Microsoft Hybrid Graphics support.

Wait WHAT. WHAT.

It might make more sense to set "EnableMsHybrid" to Dword = 1 Like the NVAM.inf would naturally

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\nvlddmkm

Edit: I'm still waiting for mine to get here apparently its on a slow boat.

7 minutes ago, dartraiden said:

Maybe, but all works perfectly with EnableMsHybrid=0 and EnableCoproc=0 although nvdispi.inf does not create these keys for GTX 1060.

See video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3PHWJWlXgo

Nice! Now if only there were an easy switch to designate a GPU as "low power" for at-will GPU switching...

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

I have not yet found out how to enable PhysX, but what modern games use it?

9 minutes ago, GabenJr said:

Nice! Now if only there were an easy switch to designate a GPU as "low power" for at-will GPU switching...

Does this mean it will work on older gen??

Unlikely

it only saves us from the driver patching and  playing with Windows settings.

21 minutes ago, dartraiden said:

I have not yet found out how to enable PhysX, but what modern games use it?

PhysX is pretty dead, but would still be cool if we could figure this out.  I wish my card was here so i could join in on the fun, even try to get some legacy intel procs to work. 

This just keeps getting better and better, great work everyone!

And then Nvidia and MS will patch it out.

NVIDIA altrady blocked this in 417.35

I tried to reverse the driver in IDA Pro, found the code processing AdapterType, but attempts to patch failed, the driver still does not work if you delete or change the key

Ho, I’ve bought one of p106 and I’m using a old amd phenom II x4 cpu, which doesn’t have a integrated you, so I’m using a Radeon HD 3000 series from motherboard. Is there a way to get it to work? 

Windows doesnt let me use p106 as a high performance graphics,

Hello,

I am trying to get this method to work in Windows 7 using Lucid Virtu MVP.

I guess I am doing something wrong with patching the driver, because in GPU-z I cannot get Direct Compute status enabled and trying to run application on dGPU results in crash.

However, there is a catch - I can get P106-100 to render 3D graphics with some workaround - by forcing windows to output video on nonexistent vga port on P106-100 and making it a primary display. Applications will then run rendering on dGPU - I can even move windowed application to another, visible display and confirm it is rendering using dGPU - GPU-z in this scenario shows that Direct Compute is supported. This is obviously not an usable solution, but it somewhat confirms that gpu is rendering 3D picture - it does not confirm that I have properly modded drivers and that's why I am asking for some assistance. 

Regards,

Norbert 

Hi.

Is it possible to open more ram and shaders from P104 as they are disabled via bios?

On 3/6/2019 at 8:14 PM, nkp123 said:

However, there is a catch - I can get P106-100 to render 3D graphics with some workaround - by forcing windows to output video on nonexistent vga port on P106-100 and making it a primary display.

This actually sounds like a great workaround. Can you go into Windows settings and set it to "mirror this display"? How were you able to trick Windows into thinking there was something plugged into the port on the card?