Hacking Nvidia's Drivers!

1 minute ago, TheGiolly said:

Are you using unsigned driver? So are you using Windows in test mode?
If so, how where you able to even launch R6 Siege?

I am using the unsigned driver, but after installing, I turned test mode off.

1 hour ago, poorboy said:

The team that did it also insists that these modifications can be applied to later driver updates as well.

Just tested with the latest 418.81 by doing this

nv_dispi.inf
	Delete lines 392, 526, 668, 18563
nvaci.inf
	Add %NVIDIA_DEV.1C07% = Section066, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1C07 below lines 507, 793
	Add %NVIDIA_DEV.1C07% = Section065, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1C07 below line 1085
	Add NVIDIA_DEV.1C07 = "NVIDIA P106-100" below line 12646

Driver installed successfully but I get error 43 in device manager.
So no, unfortunately later driver won't work.
I attached my modded 418.81 nv_dispi and nvaci just in case someone wants to try them.

nv_dispi.inf

nvaci.inf

1 minute ago, TheGiolly said:

Just tested with the latest 418.81 by doing this

nv_dispi.inf
	Delete lines 392, 526, 668, 18563
nvaci.inf
	Add %NVIDIA_DEV.1C07% = Section066, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1C07 below lines 507, 793
	Add %NVIDIA_DEV.1C07% = Section065, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1C07 below line 1085
	Add NVIDIA_DEV.1C07 = "NVIDIA P106-100" below line 12646

Driver installed successfully but I get error 43 in device manager.
So no, unfortunately later driver won't work.
I attached my modded 418.81 nv_dispi and nvaci just in case someone wants to try them.

nv_dispi.inf

nvaci.inf

Oof, sorry to hear that. Did you check to account for possible changes in line number? Maybe the code shifted one or two lines. I'll go and take a look later, but I'm a bit lazy at the moment haha. I've heard someone report success with 417.71, which is the one I was going to attempt later.

Try DDU-ing and applying the modifications to 416.34, and see if your other problems get solved. If you're modifying 416.34 you could save yourself the trouble and just download the nv_dispi.inf and nvaci.inf included in the github link, I double checked it myself in NP++ to make sure there weren't any further changes to the original driver and they're clean.

1 hour ago, poorboy said:

Did you check to account for possible changes in line number? Maybe the code shifted one or two lines.

Yes, I checked and it's different and so I adapted the GitHub instructions on how to mod it.
The "mini-tutorial" in my previous post is already with updated line numbers.

Oh and BTW now with the GitHub modded unsigned 416.34 drivers Apex Legends works ?

I don't know if the problem was the LTT mod or the self signed drivers.

Just tested with 417.71 and I get error 43. it's working!

Attached you find modded 417.71 nv_dispi and nvaci.

nv_dispi.inf

nvaci.inf

I was playing around with 418.81, then I reinstalled 417.71 and now i get error 43 ?

14 hours ago, TheGiolly said:

nv_dispi.inf

nvaci.inf

I was playing around with 418.81, then I reinstalled 417.71 and now i get error 43 ?

You got 417.71 to work? Nice! I'll try it this weekend, or sooner if I find time. Did you try running games like R6S or Apex Legends while using 417.71? I presume it shouldn't have any issues. Thanks for the nv_dispi.inf and nvaci.inf files, too.

14 hours ago, TheGiolly said:

I don't know if the problem was the LTT mod or the self signed drivers.

I really think it was the LTT mod, because I didn't self sign my drivers and I have no issues when playing games.

Edit: Oh, maybe I misread what you meant, were you suggesting that self signing the driver might cause issues? That may be possible.

8 hours ago, poorboy said:

One thing I had meant to ask @GabenJr was that the modifications you guys made to your driver were actually different from the modifications that the Chinese team made to theirs, and I was wondering why. The changes that the Chinese team made were clearly outlined here:

https://github.com/gerdesi/NVIDIA_P106

Which modifies both the nv_dispi.inf and nvaci.inf files. The team that did it also insists that these modifications can be applied to later driver updates as well. While I understand that the changes outlined in Linus' video were to trick the driver into treating the P106 like a 1060, the changes that the Chinese team made deleted certain entries and added entries as well, rather than making changes. I was wondering how significant the differences in approach were to each other, or if they worked the same way.

That's strange. When I tried doing it that way, I consistently got error 43, and literally the only way the driver worked for me was the way we did it. The Chinese driver we'd downloaded AFAIK only had the nv_dispi.inf file modified, so following that example led to success.

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

8 hours ago, GabenJr said:

That's strange. When I tried doing it that way, I consistently got error 43, and literally the only way the driver worked for me was the way we did it. The Chinese driver we'd downloaded AFAIK only had the nv_dispi.inf file modified, so following that example led to success.

Interesting. Did you try using the files uploaded on the git repository? I checked them in Np++ and they're clean, and they worked for me. I'm using exactly the same Gigabyte P106-100 that you guys have (from the same seller too).

On 2/11/2019 at 6:26 PM, TheGiolly said:

nv_dispi.inf

nvaci.inf

I decided to try installing 417.71 myself with the .inf files you provided, and now I got hit with an error 43 too ? I had 416.34, DDU'ed and went to 417.71. The driver installed successfully on two occasions, the first one Nvidia Control Center told me that an Nvidia GPU was not connected. The second time, I was hit with error 43 from Windows. How frustrating. This time, I'm going to DDU both drivers, physically remove the card from my PC, and try again.

54 minutes ago, poorboy said:

I decided to try installing 417.71 myself with the .inf files you provided, and now I got hit with an error 43 too ? I had 416.34, DDU'ed and went to 417.71. The driver installed successfully on two occasions, the first one Nvidia Control Center told me that an Nvidia GPU was not connected. The second time, I was hit with error 43 from Windows. How frustrating. This time, I'm going to DDU both drivers, physically remove the card from my PC, and try again.

Yeah, it's so frustrating!
BTW confirmed that with driver modded the LTT way Apex Legends won't run and modded the GitHub way it runs.

36 minutes ago, TheGiolly said:

Yeah, it's so frustrating!
BTW confirmed that with driver modded the LTT way Apex Legends won't run and modded the GitHub way it runs.

Arghh, I'm incredibly frustrated because now it won't even let me switch back to the 416.34 drivers anymore; Windows doesn't detect the P106 as a high performance GPU now. I'm not being slapped with an error 43 anymore, but I can't use the card....

I should never have tried to update to 417.71 :( 

What was the last version of the driver you were able to make work? Could you upload the .inf files?

24 minutes ago, poorboy said:

Arghh, I'm incredibly frustrated because now it won't even let me switch back to the 416.34 drivers anymore; Windows doesn't detect the P106 as a high performance GPU now. I'm not being slapped with an error 43 anymore, but I can't use the card....

I should never have tried to update to 417.71 :( 

What was the last version of the driver you were able to make work? Could you upload the .inf files?

416.34 it the one that worked (GitHub inf), but now my card keeps crashing in games and then Windows gets stuck with error 43.
And the worst part is that I don't know if this is caused by me playing with the PCB or by the drivers 

After several attempts of DDU-ing both of my graphics drivers and running CCleaner, I was finally successful in re-installing 416.34 when did a fresh extract of the 416.34 driver and modified the .inf files (again) as per the Chinese git.

Apex Legends and Siege are working again. Although, curiously, now I have an icon in my system tray that I've never seen before. It's helpful, as it tells me if/when the P106 is actually being used, but I don't remember having it there previously.

Capture.PNG

On 2/11/2019 at 12:46 AM, poorboy said:

So I completed my dedicated P106 build a couple days ago! It was actually my first personal desktop.

My build:

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G

APU: Vega 8

GPU: Gigabyte P106-100

Mobo: Asus PRIME B450M-K

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 250GB SSD

Storage: WD 1TB HDD

RAM: 2x8GB TeamGroup 2666 Mhz

PSU: Cooler Master MWE 500

All in all cost me about 515 USD!

I got all the drivers installed and things are going smoothly. The P106 is properly being utilized and I was able to hop onto games like World of Warships, The Division and Apex Legends just fine. Performance was as expected, and I got a 1527 score on the Unigine Heaven benchmark. I even got FreeSync to work, so that was a nice bonus!

One thing I had meant to ask @GabenJr was that the modifications you guys made to your driver were actually different from the modifications that the Chinese team made to theirs, and I was wondering why. The changes that the Chinese team made were clearly outlined here:

https://github.com/gerdesi/NVIDIA_P106

Which modifies both the nv_dispi.inf and nvaci.inf files. The team that did it also insists that these modifications can be applied to later driver updates as well. While I understand that the changes outlined in Linus' video were to trick the driver into treating the P106 like a 1060, the changes that the Chinese team made deleted certain entries and added entries as well, rather than making changes. I was wondering how significant the differences in approach were to each other, or if they worked the same way.

Does your method work with P104-100?

Cause some people are saying that they made P104-100 work with LTT's way.

I wanna buy the P104-100 as it is an equivalent of gtx 1070 and thus more capable than P106-100

53 minutes ago, Apolonia said:

Does your method work with P104-100?

Cause some people are saying that they made P104-100 work with LTT's way.

I wanna buy the P104-100 as it is an equivalent of gtx 1070 and thus more capable than P106-100

I've heard some people report success with P104s, and there shouldn't be any reason for it not to work. Just that when modifying the drivers, the references to "NVIDIA_DEV.1C07" should be modified to apply to "NVIDIA_DEV.1B87" instead. If you're going to imitate my build I'd suggest a better CPU to match the P104, though.

Capture.JPG

Instead of doing it with P106, can I do this with double 1060 and still make Apex League work? The github link is for P106.

Also, do I need another GPU cuz I won't be able to get display out of 1060s? Is third 1060 okay for that or 1050 or any Radeon GPU?

4 hours ago, CoUsT said:

Instead of doing it with P106, can I do this with double 1060 and still make Apex League work? The github link is for P106.

Also, do I need another GPU cuz I won't be able to get display out of 1060s? Is third 1060 okay for that or 1050 or any Radeon GPU?

Did you watch the video? If you did, you'll see that they wound up not using the P106 for SLI, but two 1060s instead. The instructions for putting 1060s in SLI are in the original post.

12 hours ago, poorboy said:

After several attempts of DDU-ing both of my graphics drivers and running CCleaner, I was finally successful in re-installing 416.34 when did a fresh extract of the 416.34 driver and modified the .inf files (again) as per the Chinese git.

Apex Legends and Siege are working again. Although, curiously, now I have an icon in my system tray that I've never seen before. It's helpful, as it tells me if/when the P106 is actually being used, but I don't remember having it there previously.

Interesting. This is the UI that shows up for externally-connected GPUs (and I think also Optimus but it's been a while since I've looked at a non-MaxQ laptop)... That's some hefty confusion on the driver's part.

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

3 hours ago, GabenJr said:

Interesting. This is the UI that shows up for externally-connected GPUs (and I think also Optimus but it's been a while since I've looked at a non-MaxQ laptop)... That's some hefty confusion on the driver's part.

I also get that on my laptop with MX150

On 2/13/2019 at 5:25 AM, poorboy said:

I found a faster way when stuck with 43 error.
DDU the Nvidia driver let Windows install his driver and reboot; it will install succesfully.
Disable your NIC, DDU the Windows driver and install the Nvidia driver.

Hey guys,

just some thoughts 

I found that my mining graphics card which has hdmi and display ports doesnt have some of the PCIE 16 pins long enough its actually on both sides that are shorter + look at that video, at around 7:03 this guy changes some resistors and graphics card is displaying the picture. Maybe there is the resistor that is missing on our cards... 

20190214_113028.jpg

20190214_113053.jpg

5 hours ago, UnrealEngine4 said:

Hey guys,

just some thoughts 

I found that my mining graphics card which has hdmi and display ports doesnt have some of the PCIE 16 pins long enough its actually on both sides that are shorter + look at that video, at around 7:03 this guy changes some resistors and graphics card is displaying the picture. Maybe there is the resistor that is missing on our cards...

They are contacts for hotplug sense and made shorter so that all the other contacts / fingers make an electrical connection before the sense circuit is connected.

The video just seems to show a guy repairing an open circuit zero ohm resistor that is part of the memory chips supply. Nicely done though.

AWOL

On 2/13/2019 at 12:29 PM, poorboy said:

Did you watch the video? If you did, you'll see that they wound up not using the P106 for SLI, but two 1060s instead. The instructions for putting 1060s in SLI are in the original post.

I guess he is curius if the games will run normally etc. Somewhere in previous answers somebody say that anticheat from example CS:GO will stop game. And I didn't saw clarify about that question in this thread (or it's just my poor english :().

5 hours ago, dambens said:

I guess he is curius if the games will run normally etc. Somewhere in previous answers somebody say that anticheat from example CS:GO will stop game. And I didn't saw clarify about that question in this thread (or it's just my poor english :().

i think that was me.

i turned off testsigning mode after i was done so steam games would work as their anti cheating blocks testsigning being on.

What's the easiest way to sign the driver to play games such as gtav? Thanks.