Hacking Nvidia's Drivers!

6 hours ago, LeDetructor said:

Could it be a pcie lane bottleneck,I have a Ryzen 3 3200g and it only supports 8 pcie lanes.i have a m.2 SSD (SATA) too

It's possible. I tried running crossfire on h110 PC mate. It won't support crossfire (2.nd gpu disappears) if I install a pcie Wi-Fi card xD.

AMD Ryzen R9 5900X  | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360  |  GIGABYTE X570S AERO G  |  2x32GB G'skill TridentZ 4000MHz  | MSI RX 6900 XT Gaming Z Trio 16GB Dark Base Pro 900 (Orange)  | TOSHIBA 4TB 3.5" Drive - Game Drive | Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" SSD - Boot Drive | Cooler Master V750 PSU |

Living Room PC: AMD Ryzen 2400G | MSI RX VEGA 56 8GB AERO | 2x8 GB Crucial Ballistix 2400MHz | Intenso 250GB SSD | Seagate 500 GB HDD | Node 202 + 850W PSU |

On 2/14/2020 at 7:28 PM, Anmol800 said:

I've tried to install 417.22 but i get error every time nvidia installer failed.... plz tell me how to solve it.....

Did you try to remove all traces of previous drivers with display driver uninstaller? Are you sure that it's a p106-100 you have ? (How?)

Can you show a gpu z screenshot? 

AMD Ryzen R9 5900X  | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360  |  GIGABYTE X570S AERO G  |  2x32GB G'skill TridentZ 4000MHz  | MSI RX 6900 XT Gaming Z Trio 16GB Dark Base Pro 900 (Orange)  | TOSHIBA 4TB 3.5" Drive - Game Drive | Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" SSD - Boot Drive | Cooler Master V750 PSU |

Living Room PC: AMD Ryzen 2400G | MSI RX VEGA 56 8GB AERO | 2x8 GB Crucial Ballistix 2400MHz | Intenso 250GB SSD | Seagate 500 GB HDD | Node 202 + 850W PSU |

12 hours ago, Snowarch said:

anyone successfully use a p106 for linux gaming? saw a one fan version of p106 for small amount 6gb. think its possible to sli a one fan and 2 fan version? both would be p106's not 1060, and p106

P106 supported on Linux without any hacks, just install the latest proprietary driver (nvidia-driver package from repo). I successfully ran some games through Wine, they automatically use P106 as primary adapter. I have not tried SLI.

thats a relief anyways, I was worried the Graphics Card may not work on linux at all, thanks. if i ever get my system to work right, it'll be great! wait, what driver version, and distro? ubuntu 16.04 i'll hopefully use will it work. its come closest to actually letting the installer run. @dartraiden

main rig:

CPU: 8086k @ 4.00ghz-4.3 boost

PSU: 750 watt psu gold (Corsair rm750)

gpu:axle p106-100 6gbz msi p104-100 @ 1887+150mhz oc gpu clock, 10,012 memory clock*2(sli?) on prime w coffee lake igpu

Mobo: Z390 taichi ultimate

Ram: 2x8gb corsair vengence lpx @3000mhz speed

case: focus G black

Cooler: mugen 5 rev b,

Storage: 860 evo 1tb/ 120 gb corsair force nvme 500

backup

8gb ram celeron laptop/860 evo 500gb

17 hours ago, Edgar R. Zakarian said:

It's possible. I tried running crossfire on h110 PC mate. It won't support crossfire (2.nd gpu disappears) if I install a pcie Wi-Fi card xD.

So what do I do? With the p106-090.Its too expensive for me to countinue upgrading so going with Intel isn't a viable option

12 minutes ago, LeDetructor said:

So what do I do? With the p106-090.Its too expensive for me to countinue upgrading so going with Intel isn't a viable option

If it was me, I'd probably confirm it first by removing/unplugging the M.2 and running windows off of an HDD or Sata SSD first.
If that's indeed the problem.

According to a quick google search, this seems to be your case.

image.thumb.png.bbbd79a53fe247dd67d895446ad21115.png

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/amd-ryzen-raven-ridge-comes-with-a-limited-pcie-interface.241444/

if so, the cheapest thing to do, is probably use your M.2 somewhere else and get a SATA SSD (120gb)+HDD(500gb or more) combo. (Pretty cheap.)

it's what I run at home ?

1 hour ago, Edgar R. Zakarian said:

If it was me, I'd probably confirm it first by removing/unplugging the M.2 and running windows off of an HDD or Sata SSD first.
If that's indeed the problem.

According to a quick google search, this seems to be your case.

image.thumb.png.bbbd79a53fe247dd67d895446ad21115.png

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/amd-ryzen-raven-ridge-comes-with-a-limited-pcie-interface.241444/

if so, the cheapest thing to do, is probably use your M.2 somewhere else and get a SATA SSD (120gb)+HDD(500gb or more) combo. (Pretty cheap.)

it's what I run at home ?

Is it normal for the igpu to have 7 PCI Busses?Im going to try to migrate the os to my hdd.Just asking

Annotation 2020-02-18 171957.png

3200g.png

50 minutes ago, LeDetructor said:

Is it normal for the igpu to have 7 PCI Busses?Im going to try to migrate the os to my hdd.Just asking

Annotation 2020-02-18 171957.png

3200g.png

I don't think that's an indication if how many busses it uses, but rather which pci bus it's connected to. But I could be wrong. 

Hey guys, I’ve recently got cheap NVIDIA Tesla K20Xm. I’ve tried to get it working through intels iGPU but that didn’t work out. Regedit does not contain “EnableMsHybrid” only the “AdapterType” register. Changing value of “AdapterType” leads to code 43. Can somebody point me and what should I do to get it working through iGPU. Should I do a method editing .inf file?
BIOS Settings: 

Primary Graphics Adapter - Onboard

IGPU Multi monitor - Enabled

CPU: Celeron G3930

igpu: HD 610

5 hours ago, ThisMayBeYou said:

Hey guys, I’ve recently got cheap NVIDIA Tesla K20Xm. I’ve tried to get it working through intels iGPU but that didn’t work out. Regedit does not contain “EnableMsHybrid” only the “AdapterType” register. Changing value of “AdapterType” leads to code 43. Can somebody point me and what should I do to get it working through iGPU. Should I do a method editing .inf file?
BIOS Settings: 

Primary Graphics Adapter - Onboard

IGPU Multi monitor - Enabled

CPU: Celeron G3930

igpu: HD 610

I've watched this video  before. In your case maybe this video can help ? 

19 hours ago, Snowarch said:

thats a relief anyways, I was worried the Graphics Card may not work on linux at all, thanks. if i ever get my system to work right, it'll be great! wait, what driver version, and distro? ubuntu 16.04 i'll hopefully use will it work. its come closest to actually letting the installer run. @dartraiden

I tried on 19.10 and the latest driver from the repository. Driver version does not matter.

9 hours ago, ThisMayBeYou said:

Changing value of “AdapterType” leads to code 43.

Which driver version are you using? For P106, code 43 means "you need an older driver"

9 hours ago, dartraiden said:

Which driver version are you using? For P106, code 43 means "you need an older driver"

Wait so I'm facing the same problem so I should use an older version?If so which version should I use

So I have an update on my hardware flashing P104 situation:

The card arrived, the CH341a programmer arrive and after days of painful tinkering with the software I was able to make flashing somewhat consistently successful. I was able to restore the gpu from a bricked state (after bricking it with unsuccessful flashes) by putting the original BIOS back on and that's great. But when I finally flashed the ASUS GTX 1080 TURBO BIOS I was talking about on this thread onto it, it won't work. That is, the card is DETECTED as a P104 in GPU-Z and almost all info is blank. Video output doesn't work. Long story short it doesn't behave like a 1080 at all. Tried the same thing with 1070 TURBO BIOS but it yielded same results.

So unless there is something I'm missing it is not possible to hardware flash a P104 with a GTX1070/1080 BIOS to enable video output and other features that were restricted by the BIOS. The interesting part is that even after flashing it to believe it is a 1080, GPU-z still detects it is a P104.

Is there something else other than the BIOS chip on the GPU board that defines its identity and behavior? If so, maybe I could try to flash that too (if reprogrammable).

Maybe if we made nvflash think it's a 1070/1080 I could get away with a simple software flash.

Another interesting thing: after flashing the gpu with the 1080 BIOS I also read and saved the BIOS that ended up on the card and compared it with the original. Ironically the BIOS file I pulled from the card is missing first 38 rows of code, which include the part that says the name. Maybe that part is hardcoded into the chip to prevent this stuff from happening. Everything else is IDENTICAL. The compare to the right is the BIOS I downloaded of TPU fot 1080 TURBO and left is what I pulled from the gpu after the flash. Interestingly enough the programmer software has a "Verify" feature that's used to determine wether or not the BIOS you wanted to flash is the same with the one that was flashed and it passed the verification like the first 38 rows weren't a thing...

If there is someone with experience with this sort of stuff and has an idea how could I make basically what is a GTX1070/1080 in hardware to act like one feel free to reply.

compare.png

1 hour ago, Pavlogal said:

Is there something else other than the BIOS chip on the GPU board that defines its identity and behavior? If so, maybe I could try to flash that too (if reprogrammable).

straps

a set of resistors used to configure various functions of the card

https://envytools.readthedocs.io/en/latest/hw/io/pstraps.html#pstraps

14 hours ago, LeDetructor said:

Wait so I'm facing the same problem so I should use an older version?If so which version should I use

if after installing 417.22 (deleting the registry key and rebooting) you still get an error, then the root ofr this error is something else

10 hours ago, dartraiden said:

if after installing 417.22 (deleting the registry key and rebooting) you still get an error, then the root ofr this error is something else

See if you can spot any kind of error here,r3 3200g,a320m,p106-90.I was thinking that I had a PCI lane bottleneck.But after contacting someone that had the same config as me,He said that it was not the problem.Any kind of thoughts on code 43 in device manager

16 hours ago, dartraiden said:

straps

a set of resistors used to configure various functions of the card

https://envytools.readthedocs.io/en/latest/hw/io/pstraps.html#pstraps

interesting, any way to change them on pascal? That page is confusing and incomplete though

I don't fully understand where they are placed and what they do but from what I understood from the site they can be overridden? It doesn't make a lot of sence since they are just resistors and not programmable chips they would need to be replaced am I right?

So, most likely only ASUS themselves can get the video output, PCIe 3.0, 8GB of VRAM etc. working with some completely rewritten BIOS that would cooperate with the default straps. Again, correct me if I'm wrong. If there is some way to make it ACT like a 1070/1080, tell me. Sure, hacking drivers would work for getting video output from it but would be seriously bottlenecked by PCIe 1.1 x4 and it's overall kinda janky and prone to issues and I don't have an iGPU.

I also tried flashing my P104 via nvflash to 8GB P104 BIOS (I tried every single one from TPU) and even though flash is successful the card never actually works unless I revert it to original BIOS what's kinda weird since I saw some people on some other forums who managed to get their ASUS P104's to 8GB of VRAM. It's a VERY simular situation to what happens after flashing it to a 1080, it's detected, sometimes as P104, sometimes as 3D video controller, but all info is blank/incorrect/correct but not working. Idk why does that happen, any ideas? If nothing else I would like to unlock those 4 more chips for extra mining performance so I get something out of it but I can't get it to work...

EDIT: I even compleletely erased the BIOS chip and verified it's completely null yet "nvflash64 --list" still knows what gpu it is (P104), so that's proof that either those straps are screwing me or something else idk about. I'm pretty sure I could just SOFTWARE FLASH from ZERO to original BIOS it at this point...

On 2/20/2020 at 8:36 AM, LeDetructor said:

See if you can spot any kind of error here,r3 3200g,a320m,p106-90.I was thinking that I had a PCI lane bottleneck.But after contacting someone that had the same config as me,He said that it was not the problem.Any kind of thoughts on code 43 in device manager

Any thing I can think of is a dead GPU, it IS a mining GPU afterall, could've been totally abused. :D

On 2/20/2020 at 1:12 PM, Pavlogal said:

I don't fully understand where they are placed

Look for a cluster of resistor on the board which their position can be changed to an adjacent unpopulated pad

Immagine.png

2 hours ago, TheGiolly said:

Look for a cluster of resistor on the board which their position can be changed to an adjacent unpopulated pad

Immagine.png

Great, I did some more research and now I understand. The next step would be finding the correct resistor configuration and their resistance. Unfortunately I couldn't find the layout and equally important resistance of each one of the reaistors for 1080 Turbo. I bet there is some detailed PCB schematic or datasheet out there that would help me with this.

If anyone happens to know what is the config on GTX 1080 TURBO msg me

Here is Asus P104's PCB (picture not mine)

There is a cluster of resistors on the left side, there is more on the back if I recognized them correctly (the picture of the back was shot by me)

20200115_130245.jpg

20200221_184219.jpg

Hello, guys! I 'm on Asus 1060 6Gb, transplanted the chip instead of the murdered GP106-400-A1, sealed the GP106-100-A1... With native bios (ASUS), the mother hung on post 25, the card started only with bios from the P106 and the card blunt became defined as P106-100. There are no video outputs. So there are no straps, the whole secret is in the GP106-100-A1 chip itself.

11 hours ago, ura188 said:

Hello, guys! I 'm on Asus 1060 6Gb, transplanted the chip instead of the murdered GP106-400-A1, sealed the GP106-100-A1... With native bios (ASUS), the mother hung on post 25, the card started only with bios from the P106 and the card blunt became defined as P106-100. There are no video outputs. So there are no straps, the whole secret is in the GP106-100-A1 chip itself.

so you're telling me that you had a 1060, put an entire P106 GPU die on it and the card only works with P106 BIOS and detects as P106? With 1060's straps? If that's the case and wether it will work or not is determined by the GPU itself then I'm straight outta luck... Still doesn't explain why only my original P104 BIOS works and none of the 8GB ones, if it was beacuse of straps it would make some sense because the different AIBs might have configured them differently. I've seen some people on other forums saying they successfully flashed their ASUS P104s to 8GB BIOS but none work for me

39 minutes ago, Pavlogal said:

so you're telling me that you had a 1060, put an entire P106 GPU die on it and the card only works with P106 BIOS and detects as P106? With 1060's straps? If that's the case and wether it will work or not is determined by the GPU itself then I'm straight outta luck... Still doesn't explain why only my original P104 BIOS works and none of the 8GB ones, if it was beacuse of straps it would make some sense because the different AIBs might have configured them differently. I've seen some people on other forums saying they successfully flashed their ASUS P104s to 8GB BIOS but none work for me

Yes. Straps and PCB from GTX 1060 6GB. Donor chip P106 (marked as GP106-100-A1) is laserlocked! Card not worked as GTX1060! Bios and straps did not help to modify P106 or P104 into their game analog! Only drivers mod can help.

On 2/18/2020 at 2:23 AM, dartraiden said:

P106 supported on Linux without any hacks, just install the latest proprietary driver (nvidia-driver package from repo). I successfully ran some games through Wine, they automatically use P106 as primary adapter. I have not tried SLI.

hi, i've been using that for playing witcher 3 for couple of days now, but the problem is the tech which comes with the driver, like enhanced sync, image sharpening and ... (i'm using RX 470).

is there a way for installing and using these techs in linux? i'm using pop os and lutris.

btw, the main problem is the not switching of graphic cards, in windows. why linux doesn't have any problem with switching to dedicated cards and windows have?

if there was a hack or something like that, which could force the windows to use the dedicated card, it would have been the best.

is there a lutris alternative in windows?? so we can switch between graphic cards?