Hacking Nvidia's Drivers!

I have it going on Windows for a long time on a 4th gen system. Was thinking on trying with POP on a much earlier computer.

Bumping this! P106 ran great for months with 417.22 drivers. Win 10 Pro auto updated the vid driver and card stopped working. I uninstalled the new driver (DDU), and now Windows says that 417.22 is not compatible with this version of Windows.

Is this mass destruction of P106 gaming?

41722.jpg

Also - I tried making the 417.22 Regedit changes to see if they might work with the new driver. Doesn't work. Here's what I get, Code 43 error. 

code43.jpg

On 11/9/2019 at 3:37 AM, Brolo said:

Bumping this! P106 ran great for months with 417.22 drivers. Win 10 Pro auto updated the vid driver and card stopped working. I uninstalled the new driver (DDU), and now Windows says that 417.22 is not compatible with this version of Windows.

41722.jpg

I am running 416.sth on latest windows 10. No problem on installation. And there is always pop OS. As I am running 2Nd gen intel, I can't run DX based games on windows anyways. Lutris and dxvk doing wonders for me. For code 43 try egpu code 43 fixer and see if it helps. Otherwise switch to Linux, I am using the latest 435 driver without problem and gaming as always.

On 11/9/2019 at 12:37 AM, Brolo said:

- disable drivers updates via Windows Update (group policy)

- disable network

- uninstall driver and related Nvidia software via standard app uninstaller applet

- disable Secure Boot in BIOS settings

- cmd → bcdedit /set testsigning on (you cannot do this if SB is enabled)

- reboot

- uninstall P106 device from device manager (tick "Delete the driver software for this device")

- Action → Scan for hardware changes

- 3D Video Controller appears

- install driver

- cmd → bcdedit /set testsigning off

- enable Secure Boot in BIOS settings

- enable network

On 11/6/2019 at 3:10 PM, Shibly said:

It should in theory. If you are going to install POP os new, then just try 18.04.3. It is LTS version and will have longer update support than those yearly versions.
Did you try code 43 fixer for egpu? It might work @Mirror Reaper

I did. Didn't work. 

On 11/8/2019 at 7:44 PM, amdorintel said:

doesnt this break linus' moral code ?

nvidia probably doesnt allow hacking of their drivers

moral code? guess not, double standard but more likely not litigant adverse

On 11/8/2019 at 10:37 PM, Brolo said:

Im doing this on a ryzen based system on Windows 1903 :o Still working for me. Should i be worried about the future?
I hope I won't get trouble out of the card, finally got it running. 
Else it was a stupid decission and I should've just gone with an RX 580

AMD Ryzen R9 5900X  | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360  |  GIGABYTE X570S AERO G  |  2x32GB G'skill TridentZ 4000MHz  | MSI RX 6900 XT Gaming Z Trio 16GB Dark Base Pro 900 (Orange)  | TOSHIBA 4TB 3.5" Drive - Game Drive | Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" SSD - Boot Drive | Cooler Master V750 PSU |

Living Room PC: AMD Ryzen 2400G | MSI RX VEGA 56 8GB AERO | 2x8 GB Crucial Ballistix 2400MHz | Intenso 250GB SSD | Seagate 500 GB HDD | Node 202 + 850W PSU |

On 11/11/2019 at 9:32 AM, Edgar R. Zakarian said:

Im doing this on a ryzen based system on Windows 1903 :o Still working for me. Should i be worried about the future?

I got it sorted, after a day of stressing that my awesome budget gaming rig could no longer game. I uninstalled the new auto-installed drivers but could not reinstall 417.22. I even disabled Ethernet to prevent Windows update from driver checking but I'd still get that "driver not compatible" error.

The solution was to uninstall the newer vid drivers (I used DDU), then turn off auto driver updates (link below). Once that was disabled, I could then reinstall 417.22 and make the two simple Regedit changes. I'm up and running again.

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/disable-automatic-driver-downloads-on-windows-10

19 hours ago, Brolo said:

I got it sorted, after a day of stressing that my awesome budget gaming rig could no longer game. I uninstalled the new auto-installed drivers but could not reinstall 417.22. I even disabled Ethernet to prevent Windows update from driver checking but I'd still get that "driver not compatible" error.

The solution was to uninstall the newer vid drivers (I used DDU), then turn off auto driver updates (link below). Once that was disabled, I could then reinstall 417.22 and make the two simple Regedit changes. I'm up and running again.

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/disable-automatic-driver-downloads-on-windows-10

Thanks for confirming! 
It's going strong, and now I can sleep better at night.

AMD Ryzen R9 5900X  | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360  |  GIGABYTE X570S AERO G  |  2x32GB G'skill TridentZ 4000MHz  | MSI RX 6900 XT Gaming Z Trio 16GB Dark Base Pro 900 (Orange)  | TOSHIBA 4TB 3.5" Drive - Game Drive | Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" SSD - Boot Drive | Cooler Master V750 PSU |

Living Room PC: AMD Ryzen 2400G | MSI RX VEGA 56 8GB AERO | 2x8 GB Crucial Ballistix 2400MHz | Intenso 250GB SSD | Seagate 500 GB HDD | Node 202 + 850W PSU |

On 11/8/2019 at 10:37 PM, Brolo said:

41722.jpg

My windows updated a couple of days ago, and i got the same. apparently i needed the DCH version of the driver. Downloaded this driver type on nvidia's driver page. And that worked for me, but i'm just doing the differentsliauto thing. don't have a mining card

Anybody here who actually found a way to unlock PCIe 3.0 x16 instead of just PCIe 1.1 x4 that comes forced with bios on P104-100????

I don't know anything about GPU BIOS modding but if unlocking 8GB of VRAM was possible, I don't see why unlocking PCIe 3.0 x16 wouldn't be.

Also on most of these you actually can solder an HDMI port but video output is probably disabled in BIOS too. And does it actually have 2560 CUDA cores, 640 of which are also locked with a BIOS????

People who know how to mod GPU BIOSes please make this work, at least the PCIe and we could actually turn this thing into a full blown GTX 1070 or even GTX 1080 if it actually has 2560 CUDA cores, which according to some sources are there.

I use Windows 10 version 1903 and the Windows have just update the Nvidia Version. I find out an simple Solution. Just go to Device manager in Control Panel and Mnual update the Driver of P106 ba1ck to old driver Date 29/11/2018. After that restart and Chage in Registor Editor one more time and the P106 will Work Normally

Sincerely

1708962461_Screenshot2019-11-2411_51_51.thumb.png.7effcbd6736b0a441b3a4a2fa87b4699.png

Has anyone actually managed to patch the P104 (or P106) to use PCI Express 3.0?

I have setup my p106 and its running i can run games but it has one issue its running on pcie x2 1.1 Instead of x16 1.1 due that there is huge performance loss , can anyone help to me to fix this issue my specs are

I5 7400 

Gigabyte h100m-h motherboard

IMG-20191201-WA0007.jpeg

On 12/2/2019 at 2:59 PM, vishal_s_ said:

I have setup my p106 and its running i can run games but it has one issue its running on pcie x2 1.1 Instead of x16 1.1 due that there is huge performance loss , can anyone help to me to fix this issue my specs are

I5 7400 

Gigabyte h100m-h motherboard

IMG-20191201-WA0007.jpeg

Boot into BIOS and search for PCIe settings you might get lucky.

A writer, a dreamer, a philosopher, a caring son, a loving bf & 13 other frightened individuals have filed restraining orders against me.

hi guys.

this is my first post here, so give me a break if i made mistake.

need ur help, for doing the same thing with my RX470!

it doesn't have any output port and i'm getting video through my integrated HD 4000, it just won't let me choose the RX 470 as my high performance card as long as intel HD 4000 is enabled!

i thought if this possible on a nvidia card, then it should be possible on an AMD card as well, isn't it?

i just don't find the registry string for it!!!

7 minutes ago, zereshk said:

hi guys.

this is my first post here, so give me a break if i made mistake.

need ur help, for doing the same thing with my RX470!

it doesn't have any output port and i'm getting video through my integrated HD 4000, it just won't let me choose the RX 470 as my high performance card as long as intel HD 4000 is enabled!

i thought if this possible on a nvidia card, then it should be possible on an AMD card as well, isn't it?

i just don't find the registry string for it!!!

This might be possible, but I don't think if anyone tried to achieve the same on an AMD card.

A writer, a dreamer, a philosopher, a caring son, a loving bf & 13 other frightened individuals have filed restraining orders against me.

1 minute ago, CrusaderBug said:

This might be possible, but I don't think if anyone tried to achieve the same on an AMD card.

well to be honest, i've seen the video of someone doing it in indonesia and i don't speak it, so didn't understand much of it!

idk if i'm allowed to post a link from youtube here or not, but here is the link:

the problem is that he's doing it without any registry editing!!

but i don't have that luxury!!!

i have to disable the HD 4000, just so i can get to choose the RX470 as my high performance card, otherwise its just using the intel HD 4000 on its own.

22 minutes ago, zereshk said:

well to be honest, i've seen the video of someone doing it in indonesia and i don't speak it, so didn't understand much of it!

idk if i'm allowed to post a link from youtube here or not, but here is the link:

the problem is that he's doing it without any registry editing!!

but i don't have that luxury!!!

i have to disable the HD 4000, just so i can get to choose the RX470 as my high performance card, otherwise its just using the intel HD 4000 on its own.

Have you tried doing what he did step by step? I mean you can just follow what he does (which is hard) but that's your only hope.

Can't verify or even test his method as I don't have the gpu.

Or you can try google translate to translate what he's saying to better understand him.

18 minutes ago, CrusaderBug said:

Have you tried doing what he did step by step? I mean you can just follow what he does (which is hard) but that's your only hope.

Can't verify or even test his method as I don't have the gpu.

Or you can try google translate to translate what he's saying to better understand him.

well yes.

i did exactly what he did. which is flashing the card with a bios file from an original gaming card and then selecting the high performance card which doesn't work for me except when i disable the intel HD 4000 and that would creat other problems like can't play any game in full screen. cuz in full screen, it uses the intel HD 4000 only!!! so if i disable intel HD and starting any game in full screen it would cuz a blue screen.

playing in window screen has some Vsync problems.

thx.