Hacking Nvidia's Drivers!

On 4/3/2019 at 9:26 AM, diogofcr said:

Hello. Welcome to the unlucky group of the people that have old gen CPU's (3rd and below). The "hack" that Linus showed in the video only works with 4th gen above and no one figured out yet how to do it on older gen.

However, there is a way to do it on Windows 7

"To force vga output in Windows 7 you need to go to the "Screen resolution" menu, click on "Detect" button - another gray screen(s) should pop up in the menu. Click on one of them, and in the drop down menu select something like "Try to connect VGA display on P106-100"."

After that select "Extend Displays" and apply

Then if you set your "virtual monitor" as a Default (Dont do this unless you have a program to switch windows between monitors with keys!! I use Ultramon programs will start there and use the P106-100 GPU and you can use your hotkey to switch to your main monitor and it will be good

I got 7600 score on PassMark with this method. It is not perfect but until someone figures out how to enable the "High Power Option" for Ivy Bridge on Windows 10 it works.

You will have to run games in windowed or borderless window and then use a hotkey (in Ultramon) to switch to your main display.

thanks for the help but i am using windows 10 so i am just gunna buy a ryzen 5 2400g as it has in built graphics 

3 hours ago, automata_killa said:

After like waiting for more than two months I finally received the card. I've never seen a card this dirty, the paste was as dry as it gets and the card itself smelled like burnt trash.

Still trying to set it up on a R5 2400g build, driver installer doesn't want to work, incompatible windows version (on win10 latest build) and "no suitable device installed" meaning the installer doesn't detect the card itself?

Also, Initial payment was 88.51 USD (card and shipping within China) and 33.41 USD shipping internationally to EU. Ordered via Taobao FOCUS. Basically 120 USD and two months of waiting for a card that might work properly, all in all I'd say it would be better to spend that much and bit more for a new rx570/580.

i am going to buy a R5 2400g can you please tell me if it works 

15 minutes ago, ZanderKnight said:

i am going to buy a R5 2400g can you please tell me if it works 

Got it to work, however I'd advise against buying this gpu due to dated drivers, and unsigned drivers interfering with some titles. R5 2400g is a good APU on it's own. What do you plan to use your system for?

On 3/29/2019 at 1:22 AM, GabenJr said:

You might need to make sure the iGPU is force-enabled. On your Biostar board, you'd go into the BIOS, go to Chipset, then North Bridge. You'll see an option called GFX Configuration - In here, you can set the Primary Video Device to IGD Video and make sure Integrated Graphics is enabled (you may also want to enable Surround View - The description isn't terribly helpful).

The modified files should work, but it might be best to make your own in that case, since the driver package does differ between Win7 and Win10 and while they should be cross-compatible, they may not be.

The problem is my bios just have disable igpu and auto, don't have an enable option

3 hours ago, Itsme_dankydank said:

The problem is my bios just have disable igpu and auto, don't have an enable option

Then select igpu or auto

Hi Guys

Good news for mining graphics card that want to game. If you are into or wanna Linux gaming you just install Pop OS with Nvidia driver pre-installed, download steam and after that everything just works with any mode at all. I test with Dell Optiplex 9010, i5-3550 and P106-100 from taobao. I got to play Dota 2 at 1080p absolute max setting around 100+ fps.

On 4/3/2019 at 3:26 PM, diogofcr said:

Hello. Welcome to the unlucky group of the people that have old gen CPU's (3rd and below). The "hack" that Linus showed in the video only works with 4th gen above and no one figured out yet how to do it on older gen.

However, there is a way to do it on Windows 7

"To force vga output in Windows 7 you need to go to the "Screen resolution" menu, click on "Detect" button - another gray screen(s) should pop up in the menu. Click on one of them, and in the drop down menu select something like "Try to connect VGA display on P106-100"."

After that select "Extend Displays" and apply

Then if you set your "virtual monitor" as a Default (Dont do this unless you have a program to switch windows between monitors with keys!! I use Ultramon programs will start there and use the P106-100 GPU and you can use your hotkey to switch to your main monitor and it will be good

I got 7600 score on PassMark with this method. It is not perfect but until someone figures out how to enable the "High Power Option" for Ivy Bridge on Windows 10 it works.

You will have to run games in windowed or borderless window and then use a hotkey (in Ultramon) to switch to your main display.

Hi

Have you considered gaming in Linux? Good news in Linux it just works, mod necessary for P106-100 card and it also works for intel 3rd gen and below also.

Well, my card is dead, lasted a day.. Tried all troubleshooting steps, can't get it to function.

Current errors in device manager:

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Insufficient system resources exist to complete the API.

Will try fully re-installing windows and see if it does anything but I'm not hopeful. (no change)

Edited by automata_killa

16 hours ago, pey5531 said:

Hi

Have you considered gaming in Linux? Good news in Linux it just works, mod necessary for P106-100 card and it also works for intel 3rd gen and below also.

Really?? But how do you enable the card on Linux?

Which Linux do you use?

On 4/5/2019 at 6:24 PM, pey5531 said:

Hi Guys

Good news for mining graphics card that want to game. If you are into or wanna Linux gaming you just install Pop OS with Nvidia driver pre-installed, download steam and after that everything just works with any mode at all. I test with Dell Optiplex 9010, i5-3550 and P106-100 from taobao. I got to play Dota 2 at 1080p absolute max setting around 100+ fps.

Can you elaborate a bit?  I'm totally ignorant with Linux but if these cards work as any 1060 in Pop OS I'm tempted to give it a go.

On 4/4/2019 at 8:47 PM, automata_killa said:

Got it to work, however I'd advise against buying this gpu due to dated drivers, and unsigned drivers interfering with some titles. R5 2400g is a good APU on it's own. What do you plan to use your system for?

I have already got the gpu and I plan to use it for gaming 

On 4/5/2019 at 5:31 PM, pey5531 said:

Good news in Linux it just works, mod necessary for P106-100 card and it also works for intel 3rd gen and below also.

Interesting, so that means it works even on Ubuntu? Without any driver mod?

On 4/6/2019 at 3:27 PM, diogofcr said:

Really?? But how do you enable the card on Linux?

Which Linux do you use?

Pop OS 18.04 with nvidia driver

50 minutes ago, Chunchunmaru_ said:

Interesting, so that means it works even on Ubuntu? Without any driver mod?

I am not sure about ubuntu because you have to install nvidia proprietary driver manualy. I use Pop OS 18.04 with nvidia driver preinstall.

5 minutes ago, pey5531 said:

I am not sure about ubuntu because you have to install nvidia proprietary driver manualy. I use Pop OS 18.04 with nvidia driver preinstall.

nouveau (the default open source driver) shouldn't have any limitation as is a driver made from scratch, so It's just a guess but that could work too

23 hours ago, Adr1an_ said:

Can you elaborate a bit?  I'm totally ignorant with Linux but if these cards work as any 1060 in Pop OS I'm tempted to give it a go.

Sure, basically I download Pop OS 18.04 with proprietary NVIDIA driver, update, install Steam, load dota 2 and run the game and play. and steam in linux also have support for windows only game also. for I just wanted to play dota2 at max setting. 
Give it a try and let me know how it goes.

Thanks, I'll try to get another SSD and give it a go.

So I will probably regret this but.. the most annoying part of this has been to keep the list updated with games and new version of games as they automated themselves.. So I created a tool to do this automatically. This will work on Windows 10 only. See my GitHub link below to download, download the whole repo AND READ THE README FILE! YOU NEED TO MODIFY WHICH DIRECTORY YOU WANT TO MONITOR!

Feel free to modify the source code and/or compile the code yourself! It's written in autoit, which is a super easy scripting language!

I'm the worlds worst programmer and I also have a real job so updates will be rare... But..

For Windows 10 only: 

Automation tool for setting up performance settings!
1) Download from GitHub!
2) Edit "DirectoryToWatch" and modify that value to hwatever directory you want to monitor for changes and/or to automate
2b) This will recursively add all exe's in that folder to the Windows settings so be careful not to load the whole C drive.. !
2c) Currently ONLY ONE DIRECTORY CAN BE ADDED AT A TIME!

3) Close all open windows that don't need ot be open
4) Run "TheFixer", don't touch anything and let it do it's thing.

If the program doesn't seem to work or you get errors about image not found, use a screenshot to update the files in the "images" folder!
And/Or Set resolution to 1920x1080 Before Loading :(

DOWNLOAD:

https://github.com/nonymoosee/GraphicsSettingsAutomator

I confirm it works on PopOS, thanks pey5531!!

On 3/30/2019 at 6:11 AM, poorboy said:

image.png.a0499d0f64aed4e5493818a895fcd88e.pngHere is my 3DMark Time Spy results. Keep in mind that these results reflect the bottleneck that occurs because of Ryzen's use of only 8x PCIE lanes. Despite that, it's definitely making use of the P106, even though 3DMark technically has no clue what a P106 is (as it says in the validation warning, "Graphics card not recognized").

Edit: https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/34992041? here is online version of my result.

Edit 2: My drivers were modified as per the LTT video, and I didn't have to change anything in order to make this benchmark run.

What program did you added to the "high performance" list? If I add 3DMark.exe the P106 will be used when loading the interface, but the actual test will default to the Intel graphic card.  Or did you used the Steam version of 3Dmark?

6 hours ago, Adr1an_ said:

What program did you added to the "high performance" list? If I add 3DMark.exe the P106 will be used when loading the interface, but the actual test will default to the Intel graphic card.  Or did you used the Steam version of 3Dmark?

I used the Steam version of 3Dmark, and I actually never set programs to the "high performance" list on Windows. It typically defaults to the card I'm expecting to use, and if it doesn't, I use Nvidia Control Panel to switch GPUs.

3 hours ago, poorboy said:

I used the Steam version of 3Dmark, and I actually never set programs to the "high performance" list on Windows. It typically defaults to the card I'm expecting to use, and if it doesn't, I use Nvidia Control Panel to switch GPUs.

Are you saying that you got the nVidia control panel to work with your Gigabyte P106? Because when I try to use it I just get the "no display attached" message.

18 hours ago, Adr1an_ said:

Fantastic job IReallyAmBatman!    Any chance you could add 1600x1200 and 1920x1200?

I plan to make it work on any resolution, but my recommendation for now.. Open the images folder, and screenshot those buttons with whatever theme/resolution your computer uses and replace those files with files of the exact same name.

19 hours ago, Adr1an_ said:

Fantastic job IReallyAmBatman!    Any chance you could add 1600x1200 and 1920x1200?

I just updated the new version, no more images and all that.. The program is now entirely 'smart' and shouldn't make any mistakes. Let me know if there are any issues. Again, this will only work with Windows 10.