Hacking Nvidia's Drivers!

I have done the hack using the initial (not recommended) technique, the P106 card was from ebay AU$100 plus postage, no firmware hack, but seems to work fine, some titles can get glitchy, but mostly fine with the exception of Doom which didn't get passed the dreaded 99% crash issue. If Nvidia would just release an up to date driver it would make so much sense in my opinion as the it would not threaten their current sales and it would give a lot of people a little faith in Nvidia's thought process rather than, money, money and more money. 

My GPU finally arrived but I have Ivy Bridge. No one found a solution yet?

20 hours ago, poorboy said:

This actually sounds like a great workaround. Can you go into Windows settings and set it to "mirror this display"? How were you able to trick Windows into thinking there was something plugged into the port on the card?

Unfortunately, there is no such option, only extending desktop is possible, at least in my case.

To force vga output in Windows 7 you need to go to the "Screen resolution" menu, click on "Detect" button - another gray screen(s) should pop up in the menu. Click on one of them, and in the drop down menu select something like "Try to connect VGA display on P106-100". This is built in mechanism to allow non-EDID/non-PNP VGA displays to be connected and used and apparently it works even for GPUs without VGA or any display output whatsoever.

This method theoretically should work on Windows 10, however in my case it resulted in bluescreen caused by nVidia driver. 

I was able to do it with IVY BRIDGE!! on Windows 7 like nkp123 suggested.

"To force vga output in Windows 7 you need to go to the "Screen resolution" menu, click on "Detect" button - another gray screen(s) should pop up in the menu. Click on one of them, and in the drop down menu select something like "Try to connect VGA display on P106-100"."

After that select "Extend Displays" and apply

Then if you set your "virtual monitor" as a Default (Dont do this unless you have a program to switch windows between monitors with keys!! I use Ultramon programs will start there and use the P106-100 GPU and you can use your hotkey to switch to your main monitor and it will be good

I got 7600 score on PassMark with this method. It is not perfect but until someone figures out how to enable the "High Power Option" for Ivy Bridge on Windows 10 it works. Thank you nkp123!

I have tried both LTT and chinese drivers on two seperate systems on with haswell i3 and the other an i3 2120 (which i expect not to work). Both systems and methods have had no results (not able to select P106 as high performance in graphics settings as it does not appear). I'm not getting any Code 43 error on both setups but i am conflicted as to why this is not working. The only similarity on both systems is they are running windows 10 enterprise, i am wondering if enterprise edition would have any effect on the driver installation?
Any input would be greatly appreciated

CPU: i5 7600K                             Case: Fractal Define S Mini              Keyboard: K85

Motherboard: Strix H270-i                              GPU: Vega 56    

RAM: Geil Superluce 2x8GB    mouse: Logitech G602                                     PSU: Thortech thunderbolt 650watt

4 hours ago, diogofcr said:

I was able to do it with IVY BRIDGE!! on Windows 7 like nkp123 suggested.

"To force vga output in Windows 7 you need to go to the "Screen resolution" menu, click on "Detect" button - another gray screen(s) should pop up in the menu. Click on one of them, and in the drop down menu select something like "Try to connect VGA display on P106-100"."

After that select "Extend Displays" and apply

Then if you set your "virtual monitor" as a Default (Dont do this unless you have a program to switch windows between monitors with keys!! I use Ultramon programs will start there and use the P106-100 GPU and you can use your hotkey to switch to your main monitor and it will be good

I got 7600 score on PassMark with this method. It is not perfect but until someone figures out how to enable the "High Power Option" for Ivy Bridge on Windows 10 it works. Thank you nkp123!

That's good news! However, could you confirm that full-screen applications like CSGO in native full-screen mode can be switched to another display with this method? From my experience benchmarks and "windowed full-screen" games are far more tolerant in this regard.

I was going to sell P106-100 and give up, however maybe I will wait a little longer.

42 minutes ago, nkp123 said:

That's good news! However, could you confirm that full-screen applications like CSGO in native full-screen mode can be switched to another display with this method? From my experience benchmarks and "windowed full-screen" games are far more tolerant in this regard.

I was going to sell P106-100 and give up, however maybe I will wait a little longer.

If you do decide to sell, PM me. If the price is right I could be an interested buyer.

5 hours ago, nkp123 said:

Hello, I wasn't able to get CSGO in native full-screen mode it just doesn't get switched. But CSGO and most games have an option to go in "windowed full-screen" so they work fine

My card came on monday, Just got around to playing with it.  Mine shipped with out a mounting bracket so I'm not sure how i will use it in my pc tower in a vertical position. anyone good with 3d modelling can make me one i can print? LOL 

On 3/5/2019 at 2:24 PM, dartraiden said:

NVIDIA altrady blocked this in 417.35

I tried to reverse the driver in IDA Pro, found the code processing AdapterType, but attempts to patch failed, the driver still does not work if you delete or change the key

So i midded 417.35 to see if i could make any head way on it and the damnedest thing happened. It detected the card as supported installed but yet windows used the old built in driver. But OpenCL Cuda and PhysX were enabled. So then i deleted AdapterType=2 and now have all 4 check boxes. but its still on 388.13 driver of course. I just found this curious.  It seems ot be using a mix and match of the drivers.

On 3/5/2019 at 10:40 AM, GabenJr said:

Nice! Now if only there were an easy switch to designate a GPU as "low power" for at-will GPU switching...

Hey Gaben! I watched the video on the P106 and after waiting an eternity it's here! But the only problem is that the driver installs, but doesn't show up in the high performance gpu thing. Does it only work with  intel? I have an AMD a10-5800k apu, If you could give me some tips/insight that'd be awesome :) I've used DDU so many dang times, i've seen the driver installation screen atleast 30 times today

21 hours ago, GhostlyCrowd said:

My card came on monday, Just got around to playing with it.  Mine shipped with out a mounting bracket so I'm not sure how i will use it in my pc tower in a vertical position. anyone good with 3d modelling can make me one i can print? LOL 

This may amuse you, but I'm using a cut chopstick to prop my card up.

WhatsApp Image 2019-03-14 at 21.22.34.jpeg

On 3/10/2019 at 1:52 AM, Bitter said:

If you do decide to sell, PM me. If the price is right I could be an interested buyer.

Still trying to buy? I've taken very good care of my P106, and I had meant to use it as my GPU for the foreseeable future, but I think I may decide to get rid of it after all.

1 hour ago, poorboy said:

This may amuse you, but I'm using a cut chopstick to prop my card up.

WhatsApp Image 2019-03-14 at 21.22.34.jpeg

Yeah im going to go this route but more elegant im printing a bracket that will hold the card from the underside and bolt into the rear I/O mount points

On 3/14/2019 at 9:25 AM, pie101man said:

Hey Gaben! I watched the video on the P106 and after waiting an eternity it's here! But the only problem is that the driver installs, but doesn't show up in the high performance gpu thing. Does it only work with  intel? I have an AMD a10-5800k apu, If you could give me some tips/insight that'd be awesome :) I've used DDU so many dang times, i've seen the driver installation screen atleast 30 times today

From what I understand, you're out of luck. The A10 does not support GPU passthrough. You'll have to use a Ryzen or 4th generation or higher Intel CPU.

Solved my Backplate issue, in my pile of junk i had a EVGA GT630 I/O plate that screwed on with one screw the rest of the fastiners were in the dvi and vga port. So i soldered on a dummy DVI port and well she is nice and solid for mounting now. 2019-03-15.jpg

SO it fits perfect, also windows 10 detects it as a second monitor displaying with out the drivers installed yet and my desktop is extending to it. i dont have a DVI display to attach to it to see though 

3 hours ago, GhostlyCrowd said:

SO it fits perfect, also windows 10 detects it as a second monitor displaying with out the drivers installed yet and my desktop is extending to it. i dont have a DVI display to attach to it to see though 

I've been trying desperately to force Windows 10 to detect it displaying out, to no avail. If I could, then I would set it as my primary display, then press Windows + P and set it to duplicate display. It would force the P106 to all the rendering, and then my APU would mirror it. Let me know if Windows still thinks a second display after your drivers are installed. It would appear that the only way to force this would be to make a hardware modification to connect a couple of grounding wires.

2 minutes ago, poorboy said:

I've been trying desperately to force Windows 10 to detect it displaying out, to no avail. If I could, then I would set it as my primary display, then press Windows + P and set it to duplicate display. It would force the P106 to all the rendering, and then my APU would mirror it. Let me know if Windows still thinks a second display after your drivers are installed. It would appear that the only way to force this would be to make a hardware modification to connect a couple of grounding wires.

So far i cannot get ANYTHING 3d to use the damn gpu, BUT its not a issue with the gou as my 980 GTX also does not get used when i try to set it up the same way, its a windows issue im on the tech preview. I had it working on my xeon test bench at work. but this was before i soldered in the display port.  The only way i can get it to use the p106 is to uninstall my intel hd 4600 drivers so its forced to use it. 

I am trying to use the MSI P106-100 6G with a G3258 (4th Gen. Haswell) and Asus B85M-G motherboard. Intel HD Graphics shows "This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)" in Device Manager and nothing I've tried has helped. Uninstalling/reinstalling drivers, clearing PCI Root Complex, regedit, various BIOS settings like manual memory allocation and setting PCI to Gen1, Windows Troubleshooter, Intel Diagnostics, all that jazz. Everything works fine with a normal Nvidia card.

Could the reason be that the G3258 aka Pentium K does not have VT-d and therefore cannot be used as I/O passthrough?

p106intelcode12.png

21 hours ago, Gets said:

Could the reason be that the G3258 aka Pentium K does not have VT-d and therefore cannot be used as I/O passthrough? 

I think this is ASUS-specific problem. The Chinese seller wrote that it did not work on 4 generation with ASUS motherboards.

Try to set 

bcdedit /set CONFIGACCESSPOLICY DISALLOWMMCONFIG

then reboot. If it does not help, return the previous value with

bcdedit /set CONFIGACCESSPOLICY DEFAULT

Hi, I've bought the P106-100 but didn't know it doesn't work on Ivy bridge :/ (I got MSI z77a-g43 and i5-3570k ivy bridge) So no luck for me...

The card arrived yesterday, its in really good shape. I can install the drivers and everything, but I'm stuck at the Intel HD graphics for the performance mode :/

If anyone wanted to buy the card, let me know in PM.

4 hours ago, dartraiden said:

Try to set 

bcdedit /set CONFIGACCESSPOLICY DISALLOWMMCONFIG

No dice.

Hi there! Any updates on newer versions of the drivers?

Hi, so basically I'm in China and I bought P106 and I have amd Ryzen 2200g with B350et2 MB. Without inserting graphic card I get an output, but whenever I install graphic card there is no display. Do I have to change something in bios or any other thing before inserting graphic card? The seller is guiding in Chinese so I can't understand, thanks in advance.