Hacking Nvidia's Drivers!

Does anyone knows if this info is applicable for p104-100? It is 1080ti (other says 1070 ti) analogs with 4gb GDDR5 (X).
Does it worth bothering, is 4gb enough?

3 hours ago, rame0 said:

Does anyone knows if this info is applicable for p104-100? It is 1080ti (other says 1070 ti) analogs with 4gb GDDR5 (X).
Does it worth bothering, is 4gb enough?

It should work because you will change 1B87 (P104-100) in nv_dispi.inf

I got it working easy, only problem I had was in the post it said. - "Search for 79050fba6b240e " - string wasn't found, all I had to do was change the 79 to 75.. 

Cards I used were Evga 1060 6gb sc and a MSI 1060 6gb.. Most games I did notice an increase in FPS.. Other games such as ARK seemed to be capped at 15fps.. there could be something I am missing as to why I lost performance, or it could just be ARK being a fickle bitch. Other than that thank you very much for thos guide you guys rock! 

2 hours ago, TheGiolly said:

It should work because you will change 1B87 (P104-100) in nv_dispi.inf

Thanks I'll try to check it.

-----

I just talked with sellers from local listings. One of them said, that cards (p104 and p106) are PCI 1.1.
Is that true?
How it could affect performance?

Does anybody know if a 'mining gpu' would be ideal for use on a plex box to help with transcoding?? 

30 minutes ago, Hi Its Me said:

Does anybody know if a 'mining gpu' would be ideal for use on a plex box to help with transcoding?? 

NVENC (hardware accelerated video encoding) does not work on the P100-series cards as-is. I'm not sure if it would work or not with a different VBIOS or PCI ID...

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

10 hours ago, TheGiolly said:

I followed this tutorial and it woked perfectly.

Games like Rainow Six Siege doesn't allow you to play in test mode because of the anticheat system. 

Today I'll try to (hardware) dump the flash of my Palit P106-100 and then try to (hardware) flash the rom of a Palit GTX 1060 6GB Dual.
I'll report here how it goes ?

UPDATE: flashed the 1060 rom, the card still works but still gets recognized with ID 1C07

I think the next step is to look at the ID resistor theory, that could be the key to getting the ID to change.

3 hours ago, rame0 said:

I just talked with sellers from local listings. One of them said, that cards (p104 and p106) are PCI 1.1.
Is that true?
How it could affect performance?

Yes, that's true and it leads to a slight performance loss.

20 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I think the next step is to look at the ID resistor theory, that could be the key to getting the ID to change.

Yes, but how? Since my P106-100 is a Palit I would need a Palit GTX1060 6GB Dual to search for differences.
Any other ideas?

Hi guys!

Today I bought one of those asus mining p106-100 graphics card for 90euros and tested the Linus method of hacking the drivers and it works great! The graphics card works perfectly but no HDR since I have HDR tv. Also I have problem that my Igpu doesnt support 1440P 60hz or higher so I have to play games at 1080 since thats the only settings which allows me to play at 60hertz.... 

I also realised that this graphics card has perfectly fine display port and Hdmi port, hidden behind the GPU IO shield. Is there any way I could enable the output ? I tried plug in the Hdmi cable but there was no picture only black screen, windows doesnt even make a sound when there is usually something new pluged in. 

I tried to flash different bios to this but nvflash wont allow me to do so ( GPU mismatch error) No matter what method i use to flash ( -6 --INDEX0 etc.... ) I tried to use bios from Asus GTX 1060 Dual Oc 6gb since my card is 6gb too. 

What do you guys think? are those ports disabled by bios or are there elements missing on the card? Im attaching the pictures bellow. 

20190206_213636.jpg

20190206_213800.jpg

20190206_213954.jpg

54 minutes ago, UnrealEngine4 said:

I tried to flash different bios to this but nvflash wont allow me to do so ( GPU mismatch error) No matter what method i use to flash ( -6 --INDEX0 etc.... )

That's normal, it's locked.
To play around with my Palit P106-100 I flashed the BIOS directly to the flash chip with a CH341A programmer and 1.8V adapter.

Just now, TheGiolly said:

To play around with my Palit P106-100 I flashed the BIOS directly to the flash chip with a CH341A programmer and 1.8V adapter.

How exactly is the procedure? If this Hdmi port is only bios disabled that would be great then. 

1 minute ago, UnrealEngine4 said:

How exactly is the procedure? If this Hdmi port is only bios disabled that would be great then. 

Desolder the flash chip from the board and flash it with the CH341A programmer and 1.8v adapter (and appropriate software that you can find online).
You could also try with some of those SOIC-8 clip (this means that you don't have to solder anything) but, since the chip will remain in-circuit, it could not flash succesfully.

Just now, TheGiolly said:

Desolder the flash chip from the board and flash it with the CH341A programmer and 1.8v adapter (and appropriate software that you can find online).
You could also try with some of those SOIC-8 clip (this means that you don't have to solder anything) but, since the chip will remain in-circuit, it could not flash succesfully.

aaaah... Tnx for the reply, I will report back if I get it to work. 

3 hours ago, TheGiolly said:

you may be able to flash it in CCT with power only to it so while its in CCT its not 'doing' anything

I also realised that this graphics card has perfectly fine display port and Hdmi port, hidden behind the GPU IO shield. Is there any way I could enable the output ? I tried plug in the Hdmi cable but there was no picture only black screen, windows doesnt even make a sound when there is usually something new pluged in. 

i'm waiting for mine to arrive so i can solder a DVI connector to it and dremel out the respective hole in the back plate.

6 hours ago, psyolent said:

you may be able to flash it in CCT with power only to it so while its in CCT its not 'doing' anything

i'm waiting for mine to arrive so i can solder a DVI connector to it and dremel out the respective hole in the back plate.

What exactly do you mean in CCT? any procedure explanation ? So far no luck with any kind of Nvflash.

6 hours ago, Bitter said:

The plot thickens, that's awesome there's outputs on that card!

Yes its surprising! Now If I could somehow make the ports to work. 

15 hours ago, GabenJr said:

NVENC (hardware accelerated video encoding) does not work on the P100-series cards as-is. I'm not sure if it would work or not with a different VBIOS or PCI ID...

Damn, shame thanks for the answer though!!

On 2/5/2019 at 11:33 AM, keepwalkn said:

Yep, same dude! He'd sold about 60-odd when I grabbed one.

Looks like I've had a win switching to Ubuntu 18.04 and using nvidia-prime as suggested in here.

Installed Steam and from the below output it looks like it's working!

P106-100.JPG

So it does not seem to be limited in any way, right?

Very good to know, I was right about it. And I'im even more happy to know nvidia-prime worked instead of bumblebee, so people will be able to use Vulkan

2 hours ago, UnrealEngine4 said:

What exactly do you mean in CCT?

In circuit, ie. without de-soldering / removing the chip.

As for signing drivers it's not so hard to self sign but still need testsigning enabled for Windows x64. Otherwise its certificate needs to be chained to a certification authority which last time I looked costs about 400-800 a year. I sometimes write my own crude drivers and don't have that kind of money just to sign a temporary driver so use testsigning all the time and FWIW never have had a problem with it except for one time with some Chinese hackers.. No, I'm only kidding, about the hackers. Besides I'm pretty sure getting a hacked driver from a large and well known Company approved isn't going to happen.

AWOL

3 minutes ago, X_X said:

In circuit, ie. without de-soldering / removing the chip.

As for signing drivers it's not so hard to self sign but still need testsigning enabled for Windows x64. Otherwise its certificate needs to be chained to a certification authority which last time I looked costs about 400-800 a year. I sometimes write my own crude drivers and don't have that kind of money just to sign a temporary driver so use testsigning all the time and FWIW never have had a problem with it except for one time with some Chinese hackers.. No, I'm only kidding, about the hackers. Besides I'm pretty sure getting a hacked driver from a large and well known Company approved isn't going to happen.

And what exactly would I need for that? Maybe I can order parts from ebay and give it a try... It will take some time tho. 

@UnrealEngine4 a lot of people seem to like the CH341a with SOIC clip for under $10. I myself have an old EZ2010 programmer but that needs the chip de-soldered so I cannot speak for those other ones but sometimes the loading on the programmer when used with the clip may be too much for it to work properly. I think @Falkentyne has a SkyPro or something (maybe I'm thinking of satellite TV lol) so maybe he'll comment. Lots of different programmers out there, even RasberryPi can be used.

AWOL

54 minutes ago, X_X said:

@UnrealEngine4 a lot of people seem to like the CH341a with SOIC clip for under $10. I myself have an old EZ2010 programmer but that needs the chip de-soldered so I cannot speak for those other ones but sometimes the loading on the programmer when used with the clip may be too much for it to work properly. I think @Falkentyne has a SkyPro or something (maybe I'm thinking of satellite TV lol) so maybe he'll comment. Lots of different programmers out there, even RasberryPi can be used.

Huh wot?  What did i miss?

I dont understand this thread.  What does a flasher have to do with hacking drivers?

And you need a 1.8v adapter for flashing a vbios with a flasher.

3 hours ago, Falkentyne said:

I dont understand this thread.  What does a flasher have to do with hacking drivers?

Well we got our mining graphics cards to work, and realised that some of the cards like I have do indeed have hdmi and display ports soldered just hidden behind the IO plate. Now what we want to achieve is to have those ports to work. We are just curious if we could somehow enable the ports using the OEM Bios ( in this case Asus GTX 1060 models) and flash it to the mining card. 

On 2/7/2019 at 3:59 AM, UnrealEngine4 said:

I tried to flash different bios to this but nvflash wont allow me to do so ( GPU mismatch error) No matter what method i use to flash ( -6 --INDEX0 etc.... ) I tried to use bios from Asus GTX 1060 Dual Oc 6gb since my card is 6gb too.

On 2/7/2019 at 4:55 AM, TheGiolly said:

4 hours ago, Falkentyne said:

People want to experiment :) Thought you had done a lot of VBIOS flashing and might want to share your experience. If I have misunderstood then apologies.

AWOL