Hacking Nvidia's Drivers!

14 hours ago, Bitter said:

just the length of wire is enough to change the resistance substantially

You don't have to use 50 meters of wire to make these momentary modifications.
The very small resistance of the wire won't matter in this case.

14 hours ago, Bitter said:

a pot being WAY too big of values

There are various values of potentiometer, just choose the appropriate one.

23 hours ago, TheGiolly said:

I also did that but I couldn't get anything significant to change

Probably you missed one of them.  It may be placed in a different location on the pcb.

I'm not sure if any of the P106 cards has the same PCB with it's 1060 "sister" but such a pair would be the perfect place to start such investigation.

5 hours ago, TheGiolly said:

You don't have to use 50 meters of wire to make these momentary modifications.
The very small resistance of the wire won't matter in this case.

There are various values of potentiometer, just choose the appropriate one.

What are the marked values on the resistors?

When I've changed sense resistors for LED drivers they're values like 0.05 ohm, values so small just the meter leads on my Fluke 88V introduce too much resistance for accurate measure even when relative zerod out. A few inches of wire has that much resistance and potentiometers don't offer values that small. If the resistors you're working with are several ohms then that plane could work, but if it's looking for values withing a 1-2% range of that resistance the wire and pot just may throw in enough % variance to make that an impossible task.

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

What are the marked values on the resistors?

When I've changed sense resistors for LED drivers they're values like 0.05 ohm, values so small just the meter leads on my Fluke 88V introduce too much resistance for accurate measure even when relative zerod out. A few inches of wire has that much resistance and potentiometers don't offer values that small. If the resistors you're working with are several ohms then that plane could work, but if it's looking for values withing a 1-2% range of that resistance the wire and pot just may throw in enough % variance to make that an impossible task.

For a sense resistor it's normal to be a very low value because it's placed in series with the load that is being monitored.
Usually on NVIDIA cards the resistor used to set parameters such ad the PCI ID are in the 0÷100kΩ range.

2 hours ago, TheGiolly said:

For a sense resistor it's normal to be a very low value because it's placed in series with the load that is being monitored.
Usually on NVIDIA cards the resistor used to set parameters such ad the PCI ID are in the 0÷100kΩ range.

Ok, pots should work great in that case. I guess I just assume that SMD resistors are always tiny values since that's all I've encountered myself.

The sense resistors I've tinkered with haven't been in series with the load, they're usually off on a leg from the driver IC, but still very tiny values.

I GOT IT TO WORK!!! It's been a journey of many months and much frustration. I first bought a P106 to run in my third gen Intel setup (not compatible setup, oops). Tried selling the P106 and nobody wanted it. So I pieced together a Haswell build for $323 Cdn. 

CPU/RAM/Mobo $100
P106 card $138
DVI->HDMI adapter $2

Heatsink $23

Case + PSU $60

-already have hard drive, monitor, mouse/kb etc.

I'm getting 3DMark 2013 scores above 10,000. Pretty massive bang for the buck.

So I'm in the club of having a 3rd Gen CPU an Intel 3770K OC @ 4.9GHz and went ahead and picked one of these up only to discover like everyone else they aren't compatible. 

Rather than give up does anyone have any ideas where to start poking around? I've got access to the NVIDIA control panel and enabled PhysX and all of those settings are accessible.

Looks like the card works fine in Linux also which leads me to believe there should be a registry or driver hack to work around the issue of the dedicated card not being used. 

So I got a msi  p106-100 and got it to work and I think it works great. 

But I'm lacking ways to compare to other systems to make sure it's performing well, what tests can I run. 

Cpu: ryzen 5 2400g 

Mobo: asrock b450m pro4

Ram: g.skill 16gb 3000mhz. 

Gpu: msi p106-100

HDD: WD green m.2 240gb

Edit: Also I tried to use msi afterburner it runs the test but the max temp go to 51c all the time and after I try to save and apply any profile it resets to the defaults. 

Thank you for all the help 

Edited by neto.

intstall INTEL IGEP 

INSTALL 417.22,but my CARD did not work  ,  code 43 !

changed the regedit A to 4, 1 from 0. 

I7 4720HQ(HD4600) + B85 BTC + P106-90

sorry for my poor english!

THX

I have my P106-100 working in all games up to RAGE 2 Apex legends crossout. It works in anti cheat games flawlessly. Here is how.

1.Install card

2. Install up to 416.94 I've done the next 417.2x but cant remember the last digit.

3. Reg edit computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\(4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318)\\0001

Under the 0001 sometimes I've seen it be 0002

We are looking for AdapterType change this from 2 to 4.

Now go down to EnableMsHybrid from 0 to 1 and restart your PC. 

You can check in GPU-Z all boxes are now checked yeay.

I have run userbenchmark and 3dmark using precision x1 and msi afterburner I can put 450+ on mem and up to 220+ on GPU. I was the first to run it on this continent :) .

Ok now to my problem I hope I can find help with. I bought a p104-100 also i have a CH341a chip clip and have flashed several bios directly onto its chip. I have tried hex editing and have had semi success boot into windows get to install drivers for it but after reset it does not stay installed.

Does anyone know how to find in bios the pcie lanes. The card is stuck at pcie x4 1.1 I have found bios that unlock the 8gb on the pcb but I can not get around the pcie x4 1.1.

Thank you all so much everyone here is great and because of your video i have gotten the p106-100 working now I have a new challenge but cant find the specific bits in the bios.

20190523_162329.jpg

20190525_162820.jpg

20190523_165915.jpg

20190525_131826.jpg

20190523_212939.jpg

20190525_222725.jpg

20190523_170944.jpg

20190525_222817.jpg

I have my P106-100 working in all games up to RAGE 2 Apex legends crossout. It works in anti cheat games flawlessly. Here is how.

1.Install card

2. Install up to 416.94 I've done the next 417.2x but cant remember the last digit.

3. Reg edit computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\(4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318)\\0001

Under the 0001 sometimes I've seen it be 0002

We are looking for AdapterType change this from 2 to 4.

Now go down to EnableMsHybrid from 0 to 1 and restart your PC. 

You can check in GPU-Z all boxes are now checked yeay.

I have run userbenchmark and 3dmark using precision x1 and msi afterburner I can put 450+ on mem and up to 220+ on GPU. I was the first to run it on this continent :) .

Ok now to my problem I hope I can find help with. I bought a p104-100 also i have a CH341a chip clip and have flashed several bios directly onto its chip. I have tried hex editing and have had semi success boot into windows get to install drivers for it but after reset it does not stay installed.

Does anyone know how to find in bios the pcie lanes. The card is stuck at pcie x4 1.1 I have found bios that unlock the 8gb on the pcb but I can not get around the pcie x4 1.1.

Thank you all so much everyone here is great and because of your video i have gotten the p106-100 working now I have a new challenge but cant find the specific bits in the bios.

Ok after watching some videos of gtx 1070's I know that the P104-100is working 100% even if it claims to be pcie 4 1.1 

So follow the instructions and it seems any mining card will work also I have it unlocked with all 8gb working great and precision x1 and afterburner both will set custom curves. Thanks again for the idea and everyone's posts.

20190528_174031.jpg

20190528_173649.jpg

On 5/21/2019 at 11:06 PM, neto. said:

But I'm lacking ways to compare to other systems to make sure it's performing well, what tests can I run. 

Cpu: ryzen 5 2400g 

Mobo: asrock b450m pro4

Ram: g.skill 16gb 3000mhz. 

Gpu: msi p106-100

HDD: WD green m.2 240gb

Edit: Also I tried to use msi afterburner it runs the test but the max temp go to 51c all the time and after I try to save and apply any profile it resets to the defaults. 

Thank you for all the help 

could you post your fps on some games and the settings/resolution please?

I've read that the p106 performs worse with ryzen due to pcie 1x8 chanel usage instead of 1x16, but I am not sure about it, and if it does affect it would be nice to know if it's noticeable

does anyone recomend building a ryzen apu based system to work with the p106 ?

yes, I know about te pcie 1x8 chanel of the ryze 2200g and 2400g, but it would be great to know if there is really a lot of bottleneck due to not using 1x16 the card is capable of (5-6 fps average is not something that bothers me really, I can easily modify the card and overclock)

On 5/22/2019 at 5:06 AM, neto. said:

You can download 3Dmark and compare them to my results, which I attained with a 2200G-- the bottleneck is real, and you should get far better results than me.

On 3/30/2019 at 12:11 PM, poorboy said:

image.png.a0499d0f64aed4e5493818a895fcd88e.pngHere is my 3DMark Time Spy results. Keep in mind that these results reflect the bottleneck that occurs because of Ryzen's use of only 8x PCIE lanes. Despite that, it's definitely making use of the P106, even though 3DMark technically has no clue what a P106 is (as it says in the validation warning, "Graphics card not recognized").

Edit: https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/34992041? here is online version of my result.

Edit 2: My drivers were modified as per the LTT video, and I didn't have to change anything in order to make this benchmark run.

You could also run some Heaven benchmarks, I have them lying around somewhere too.

23 hours ago, dexter085 said:

does anyone recomend building a ryzen apu based system to work with the p106 ?

yes, I know about te pcie 1x8 chanel of the ryze 2200g and 2400g, but it would be great to know if there is really a lot of bottleneck due to not using 1x16 the card is capable of (5-6 fps average is not something that bothers me really, I can easily modify the card and overclock)

You'll probably want to go with a 2400G or higher. I can't tell if it's because of a PCIE bottleneck or if it's just a CPU bottleneck, but a card like the P106 should be easily capable of handling games like Insurgency Sandstorm and Monster Hunter World at 60fps. However, my frames hovered around 40-45 for both titles while using a 2200G. Again, I'm not sure if it's a PCIE bottleneck, or if it's being bottlenecked by my CPU performance. Changing my P106 to an RX580 did not improve my frames for either title, so I'm going to assume that it's the base CPU that's the problem.

8 hours ago, poorboy said:

You'll probably want to go with a 2400G or higher. I can't tell if it's because of a PCIE bottleneck or if it's just a CPU bottleneck, but a card like the P106 should be easily capable of handling games like Insurgency Sandstorm and Monster Hunter World at 60fps. However, my frames hovered around 40-45 for both titles while using a 2200G. Again, I'm not sure if it's a PCIE bottleneck, or if it's being bottlenecked by my CPU performance. Changing my P106 to an RX580 did not improve my frames for either title, so I'm going to assume that it's the base CPU that's the problem.

I will probably wait for the ryzen 3200g release (more boost clock and no pcie bottleneck)

if it were a cpu bottleneck it should be solved very easily by slightly overclocking, and if there is no or very few fps increase then it's sure that the isue is the pcie

I saw people saying that they get 10-15 fps less in games just by changing a i3 8100 for a ryzen 2400g , but there is no bechmarks, so I can not belive them

what I saw is that 1060 6gb with 2200g gets a score of around 3900, which is not that much better and nothing that cannot be solves with oc

9 hours ago, poorboy said:

could you post other benchmarks that you have done please?

Ok so i signed up for LTT as iv been reading about this mining gpu to gaming gpu over here and my instincts were to jump in. So far from driver version 4.16 and 4.17 and intel 2nd/3rd gen issues (iv read in this very thread someone got it running on 1st gen) anyways the thing is nvidia just released their game ready drivers for the latest version of windows promisingly fixing that code 43 error with sandy bridge cpu.

about SLI on P106, has anyone tried SLI on P104 with SLI bridge installed ? I think P106 lacks those extra lanes needed and as P106 does not have any SLI bridge connector will it be possible to do SLI on p104 ?

3 hours ago, Mirror Reaper said:

Any news on a new driver? : ( 

Unless somebody tries it to.

NVIDIA GeForce 430.97 Hotfix

The change-log follows. 

GeForce Hotfix display driver version 430.97 is based on our latest Game Ready Driver 430.86. This Hotfix driver addresses the following: 

Forza Horizon 4: Game may crash when driving through tunnels

Code 43 error when installing driver 430.64 on Windows 10 May 2019 Update system with Intel Sandy Bridge CPU

(sorry i still dont have any rig to try it)

2 hours ago, Mirror Reaper said:

I will give it a try .
tho i have a 4th gen cpu 

Nope doesn't work, still the same (error 43).

34 minutes ago, Mirror Reaper said:

Nope doesn't work, still the same (error 43).

Oh crap. I am planning to get a system assembled with p104-100

i was onto building a unique x58 based system. I was hoping if possible get a cheap gpu for display purpose and then use P104-100 for gaming. X58 has no igp support. Any suggestions???

So of the three major restrictions imposed on these mining cards compared to equivalent Pascal gaming GPUs:

1) no display connectors --> this is hardware imposed, and can be addressed by running a hybrid setup with display connectors on a separate iGPU.

2) restricted RAM --> this is software imposed, and can be addressed by flashing a VBIOS to access all of the physical RAM soldered onto the board.

3) restricted PCIe speed/bandwidth --> ??

This is speculation, but the 3) restriction could possibly be software imposed as well.

I'd be interested to see if anyone with one of these cards is able to increase the PCIe speed/bandwidth in software by setting the RMPcieLinkSpeed registry key to 0x4.

There was a NVIDIA provided tool to set this registry key (at the time it forced PCIe 3.0 or reverted back to PCIe 2.0) around the time NVIDIA released the GeForce GTX 600 series (Kepler class) [0]. You could alternatively avoid the binary executable and just set the registry key manually. See [1] for a steps guide.

[0] https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3135/~/geforce-gen3-support-on-x79-platform

[1] https://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/732922-post5.html