text editor for c++?

Abhinavp
Just now, lewdicrous said:

Visual Studio (Community edition) is free iirc, don't know if it's the best tho

Yeah it’s free

but almost an text editor works

notepad, atom, notepad++, monodevelop, there’s more, I just don’t remember off the top of my head

personally, I prefer monodevelop and Notepad++ (notepad++ for HTML and CSS and Monodevelop for C# Unity)

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

1 minute ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

Yeah it’s free

but almost an text editor works

notepad, atom, notepad++, monodevelop, there’s more, I just don’t remember off the top of my head

personally, I prefer monodevelop and Notepad++ (notepad++ for HTML and CSS and Monodevelop for C# Unity)

There's also a site called repl, they give you a lot of languages to choose from

what are the major differences between atom and notepad++? btw I like the dark look of atom. I am a beginner at c++ programming so I need your opinion guys... 

7 minutes ago, Abhinavp said:

what are the major differences between atom and notepad++? btw I like the dark look of atom. I am a beginner at c++ programming so I need your opinion guys... 

Honestly, nothing. Both support c++ syntax highlighting and that's all you should really care about.I think notepad++ has slightly better system integration (a la you'll see "edit with notepad++" right beside "edit with notepad" in your right click menu.

EDIT: Personally, I've found that atom is nice because you can open a "project" and have all your header files/other files in the sidebar, and open them immediately. Notepad++ is just a fancy notepad. Also in my experience Atom can handle SLIGHTLY larger files than notepad++ (however I'm talking about gigabyte large text files here.)

1 minute ago, snowfox99 said:

IMO Visual Studio Code is the best, hands down

Visual studio is nice because you can step through a program and set breakpoints and what not... but it's... HEAVY. It's a huge coding program where as atom and notepad++ are merely text editors. 

23 minutes ago, Abhinavp said:

whats the best text editor for c++ for free? 

Visual studio code isnt the best hands down... but it is very good. Great user-interface, its incredibly easy to get extensions, and its rather lightweight. but it does have its overhead when compared to just a text editor.

5 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Honestly, nothing. Both support c++ syntax highlighting and that's all you should really care about.I think notepad++ has slightly better system integration (a la you'll see "edit with notepad++" right beside "edit with notepad" in your right click menu.

EDIT: Personally, I've found that atom is nice because you can open a "project" and have all your header files/other files in the sidebar, and open them immediately. Notepad++ is just a fancy notepad. Also in my experience Atom can handle SLIGHTLY larger files than notepad++ (however I'm talking about gigabyte large text files here.)

Never used atom, so I’m not sure if it has this too...

but Notepad++ has an auto save feature, so you can close the window, turn off your pc, or do whatever and it will not be lost. I’ve had files where I accidentally unplugged my laptop (the battery doesn’t work) and when I turned it back on, my code was still there

1 minute ago, Kamjam66xx said:

Visual studio code isnt the best hands down... but it is very good. Great user-interface, its incredibly easy to get extensions, and its rather lightweight. but it does have its overhead when compared to just a text editor.

Sure, but if you're using any sort of relatively modern computer I doubt it'll be a problem for most people.

Just now, iLostMyXbox21 said:

Never used atom, so I’m not sure if it has this too...

but Notepad++ has an auto save feature, so you can close the window, turn off your pc, or do whatever and it will not be lost. I’ve had files where I accidentally unplugged my laptop (the battery doesn’t work) and when I turned it back on, my code was still there

Honestly? I have both on my computer and use them both willy nilly. ;)

5 minutes ago, snowfox99 said:

Sure, but if you're using any sort of relatively modern computer I doubt it'll be a problem for most people.

maybe its a personal preference, but anything besides instant response is basically equal. so id rather use vs2017 over vsCode, but.... that said.

I use eclipes, notepad++, visualstudio code, vs2017, and even just notepad, and further more... ill have them all open at the same time. So i would really suggest not limiting yourself to any tool. But still take the time to learn a good one like vs2017.

EDIT: not you directly, i mean the guy who asked lol.

Visual Studio is an IDE not a text editor.

If you're looking for just a text editor then sublime text is generally the best.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

It seems like there is confusion between Visual Studio and Visual Studio Code;

Visual Studio is an IDE, meanwhile Visual Studio Code is a text editor.

If you're doing C++ I suggest using an IDE if you can, but if you want a text editor instead, you should definitely go for VSCode, it's more community supported given its ease of extension development and it being multi-platform compared to Notepad++

🙂

3 hours ago, corrado33 said:

Visual studio is nice because you can step through a program and set breakpoints and what not... but it's... HEAVY. It's a huge coding program where as atom and notepad++ are merely text editors.  

VSCode is different than Visual Studio and more than a text editor.

VSCode is fairly lightweight and fast. Probably as fast as a fairly featureful IDE can be. I use it to run simple experiments with python and c++. For anything less simple I use Visual Studio.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

I'm particularly fond of the editor in Qt Creator, which can off course be used also for non Qt projects.

5 hours ago, Abhinavp said:

I am a beginner at c++ programming so I need your opinion guys... 

No, you really don't. All text editors with syntax highlighting support C/C++. It's just text. Just pick one that is most comfortable for you to use. And if you are seriously committed to this, you should eventually try CLion. It's not free, but it is damn well worth it. 

18 hours ago, wasab said:

Get an IDE. Clion is the best

Agreed, if you're a student you can get clion for free. It works well, it's snappy, and its like every other jetbrains IDE so once you're used to one of them you'll have a feel for them all. :D

On 2/3/2019 at 6:43 AM, Addvilz said:

No, you really don't. All text editors with syntax highlighting support C/C++. It's just text. Just pick one that is most comfortable for you to use. And if you are seriously committed to this, you should eventually try CLion. It's not free, but it is damn well worth it. 

Well I think OP just wanted to know which ones we like so (s)he can check them out so (s)he can find out which (s)he likes better based on what we said