Smash Bros on Switch | How Needed is the Gamecube Controller?

K i a r a

Hello

So, As someone who would like to play smash on my Switch, I have probs played smash on Game cube a handful of times when I would go over to a friends house. But never got good at it, With the combos and everything like that.

But was wondering if its still good with just the standard switch game switch things... With the game being 80$ Canadian + a 45$ controller comes to around $140 not really wanting to spend that much!  

M Y  S T U F F

Ryzen  PC |~|  Ryzen 5 1600 | GTX 1060 6GB | G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB DDR4 DDR4 2400 x2 |  WD Blue 250GB SSD | Barracuda Pro 2TB  EVGA 650W 80+Gold |

Laptop |~| Legion Y530 | i7-8750H | GTX 1050 Ti 4GB | 16GB DDR4 2666MHz | 128GB SSD | 1 TB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm |

Macbook Air |~| 2.2GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 | Intel HD Graphics 6000 | 8GB of 1600MHz  512GB SSD |

Displays |~| AOC G2460VQ6 24" x2|

Keyboard |~| Corsair Gaming K70RGB 

Mouse |~| Razer Lancehead Pink RG

Audio |~| HyperX Cloud II Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X

Microphone |~| Audio Technica AT2035

M y  R e v i e w s 

Lenovo Y530 Legion Laptop.

More Coming Soon...

defs worth if you really want to get good, but casually you can go for anything else

Control methods, especially when they are as similar as the gamecube controller vs joycons, basically come entirely down to personal preference. Whatever is most comfortable for you to use is probably what you're going to do the best with.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

Joycons are completely fine for me.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

Completely up to you. Just like KB/M and controller, it's up to you and your muscle memory. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

The Joycon combo is alright, but I personally much prefer a GameCube controller. But I already had the adapter from my Wii U and have a ton of GameCube controllers around so it was a no brainer for me to use the GC controller.

Not sure if I would recommend everyone go out and purchase a GameCube controller. I would personally just try it out with the Joycon setup first and see how you like it.

I don't want to immediatly taint your opinion of the setup, but if you want to know here is my reasoning for liking the GameCube controller over the Joycons:

Spoiler

- I don't like the positioning of the right analog stick, it's just in an awkward positing and makes aerial and smash attacks awkward for myself to do

- The shoulder buttons are too near each other

- As far as I know, you can't light shield with the joycons

- I like the left joystick way more on the GameCube; way more precise (because there is a greater degree of movement), notches so you can reliably do some angles (for Fox' Firefox for example) more comfortable to myself

Advantage of the joycons is that you can more easily play with them in handheld mode (playing with a GameCube controller in handheld mode, requires a type C to a adapter and the Gamecube adapter; not that convenient

The joycons are wireless and rechargable (only the former point can be addressed with a usually expensive Wavebird)

In short: I think it was worth it to play with; because I have years of experience with the GameCube controller and had some lying around (including a Wavebird which I usually use) which made it a much smaller investment. You should try out the default controllers are first.

Another thing I can mention is that the GameCube controllers works with other  games too, I believe all the ones that support a pro controller; just not all play as well as the Pro controller/joycon combo does.

I am personally gonna get a pro controller some time for these games, just because that looks like the full controller for the Switch; partially because it is so complete, partially because I'm a controller nerd.

It is damn expensive though!

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Tilt moves are far easier on the Gamecube controller though the Pro Controller works quite well too for general gameplay.  I personally cannot play very well using the joycons though they are usable and you can still have fun with the game.