Intel i3 8100 ecc supported can't find motherboard suitable for ecc memory

Ben17
Go to solution Solved by Livin,
5 hours ago, Ben17 said:

Looks like that board will support what you need.  I personally haven't used ASRock much but they do offer some budget options that other manufacturers don't.

The i3-6300 and i3-7300 both look like they support ECC, but they're dual core in those series as opposed to the i3-8100 which is quad core.  If you want to bump up to a quad core, you can look around for a Xeon E3-12XXv5 or E3-12XXv6.  They're getting to the age that you may be able to find one used for a decent price.  Just keep in mind that if you want onboard graphics, you need to get one that ends in a 5 (eg. E3-1225v5 or E3-1245v6).  Clockspeed on any of the options will be plenty, but the extra cores could be useful.

7 hours ago, Ben17 said:

I  would still have a backup but would rather not have to setup the array again btw are these good drives for RAID 5  https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01LWVCZ6N/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_6?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

The Seagate IronWolf drives will be fine.  I'm not used to pricing in pounds, but comparing to the Barracuda equivalents the pricing on those looks pretty good.

Thinking about building a freenas server using a Intel i3 8100 but can't find motherboard that supports ecc memory (zfs requires ecc memory as far as I know)  thanks Ben

Please quote or tag  @Ben17 if you want to see a reply.

If I don't reply it's probly because I am in a different time zone or haven't seen your message yet but I will reply when I see it ? 

12 minutes ago, Ben17 said:

Thinking about building a freenas server using a Intel i3 8100 but can't find motherboard that supports ecc memory (zfs requires ecc memory as far as I know)  thanks Ben

I had to take a look to believe you myself but you're right, the i3-8100 does support ECC based on Intel's ARK page.

My guess is that you're waiting for C242 and C246 based boards that are supposed to be coming to support the Xeon E refresh (used to be Xeon E3).  They're technically launched, but I haven't been able to find them or supporting boards anywhere.

18 minutes ago, Ben17 said:

(zfs requires ecc memory as far as I know) 

Nothing about zfs needs ecc more than any other file system, its always nice to have, but zfs won't make your data at any more risk than it already is in your desktop, laptop or phone. For a home server i woudln't worry about it.

15 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Nothing about zfs needs ecc more than any other file system, its always nice to have, but zfs won't make your data at any more risk than it already is in your desktop, laptop or phone. For a home server i woudln't worry about it.

Zfs does a lot more with ram than other server operating systems doesn't it though? Also I already lost data to a bad hard drive so don't want it to happen again would I be better off going with a different operating system altogether and skipping the ECC ram?

If I don't reply it's probly because I am in a different time zone or haven't seen your message yet but I will reply when I see it ? 

20 minutes ago, Livin said:

I had to take a look to believe you myself but you're right, the i3-8100 does support ECC based on Intel's ARK page.

My guess is that you're waiting for C242 and C246 based boards that are supposed to be coming to support the Xeon E refresh (used to be Xeon E3).  They're technically launched, but I haven't been able to find them or supporting boards anywhere.

Just did a bit of looking around and it looks like Gigabyte and Asus both have boards that they've announced, but again, I can't find stock really anywhere for a reasonable value.

Gigabyte MX32-BS0

Asus P11C-M/4L

9 minutes ago, Livin said:

Just did a bit of looking around and it looks like Gigabyte and Asus both have boards that they've announced, but again, I can't find stock really anywhere for a reasonable value.

Gigabyte MX32-BS0

Asus P11C-M/4L

Would I be better off waiting for prices to drop or building with a different motherboard without ecc memory. Build is planning to do was hoping that it was a cheaper board: http://www.amazon.co.uk/registry/wishlist/2M6M59VC3YTTV was planning to use 3 drives in raid 5

3 minutes ago, Ben17 said:

Would I be better off waiting for prices to drop or building with a different motherboard without ecc memory. Build is planning to do was hoping that it was a cheaper board: http://www.amazon.co.uk/registry/wishlist/2M6M59VC3YTTV was planning to use 3 drives in raid 5

How many drives are you planning on installing?  There are definitely some great 2 and 4 drive NAS options out there if it is in that range that would be in the same price range or cheaper.  Something like the Synology DS418 is a pretty good package and delivers reasonable performance if you're sticking to a gigabit connection. 

If you plan to have something larger or want it to scale larger, I would stick to a build with ECC just for peace of mind. 

On a side note, regardless of any built in redundancy with ZFS/RAID/ECC/etc, you still want to have backups. 

39 minutes ago, Ben17 said:

Zfs does a lot more with ram than other server operating systems doesn't it though? Also I already lost data to a bad hard drive so don't want it to happen again would I be better off going with a different operating system altogether and skipping the ECC ram?

It uses ram as a disk cache, just like any other filesystem. Nothing really speical here. The ecc won't help you any more than with any other filesystem or os.

11 hours ago, Livin said:

How many drives are you planning on installing?  There are definitely some great 2 and 4 drive NAS options out there if it is in that range that would be in the same price range or cheaper.  Something like the Synology DS418 is a pretty good package and delivers reasonable performance if you're sticking to a gigabit connection. 

If you plan to have something larger or want it to scale larger, I would stick to a build with ECC just for peace of mind. 

On a side note, regardless of any built in redundancy with ZFS/RAID/ECC/etc, you still want to have backups. 

I  would still have a backup but would rather not have to setup the array again btw are these good drives for RAID 5  https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01LWVCZ6N/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_6?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

11 hours ago, Livin said:

Would this board be fine if I can find a comptibale CPU 

BOARD:https://pcpartpicker.com/product/nrDzK8/asrock-e3v5-ws-atx-lga1151-motherboard-e3v5-ws

CPU:https://pcpartpicker.com/product/tPnG3C/intel-cpu-cm8066201926905

5 hours ago, Ben17 said:

Looks like that board will support what you need.  I personally haven't used ASRock much but they do offer some budget options that other manufacturers don't.

The i3-6300 and i3-7300 both look like they support ECC, but they're dual core in those series as opposed to the i3-8100 which is quad core.  If you want to bump up to a quad core, you can look around for a Xeon E3-12XXv5 or E3-12XXv6.  They're getting to the age that you may be able to find one used for a decent price.  Just keep in mind that if you want onboard graphics, you need to get one that ends in a 5 (eg. E3-1225v5 or E3-1245v6).  Clockspeed on any of the options will be plenty, but the extra cores could be useful.

7 hours ago, Ben17 said:

The Seagate IronWolf drives will be fine.  I'm not used to pricing in pounds, but comparing to the Barracuda equivalents the pricing on those looks pretty good.

5 hours ago, Livin said:

Would I be better off getting this board and the original choice of CPU https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01FDHNARY/ref=ox_sc_act_image_2?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

And getting this memory:https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01FM3GBC0/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1 Thanks Ben

That ASRock E3V5 WS actually does NOT support the i3-8100.  I do see a Gigabyte C246 WU4 on pcpartpicker, $218.99 at Amazon.

TheE3V5 WS is a lot cheaper though - $79.99 + 3.99 shipping at Newegg.  That plus a $133.89 i3-6100 would be $217.77, slightly cheaper than the Gigabyte board.  Also it only has 2 PCIe x16 slots and 6 SATA ports, and no on-board graphics.  It could be paired with a Celeron or Pentium though. (Skylake preferred, Kaby Lake would need a BIOS update, and Coffee Lake is not compatible.)

I have the i3-6100 myself sitting around here. (It was in my laptop from Dec 2015 to Nov 2016 when I upgraded to a $259 i7-6700K.)  I've thought about getting that E3V5 WS, and slapping the Zotac GT 710 PCIe x1 card in it if I wanted ECC.  If not, and I wanted to use that CPU, I'd be eyeing the ASRock Z270 Taichi (4 PCIe x16 slots, 10 SATA, iGPU, $159.99 @ Amazon).

I've also been looking into a few dual-socket Supermicro options on eBay, like X7DWE (LGA771, ATX, ~$60, 4 PCIe x8, supports 32GB DDR2 FB-DIMM ECC which last I checked was like $25 or something like that), X8DTH-6F (LGA1366, EATX (SSI EEB), ~$160, 7 PCIe x8, 8 SAS 6Gb/s, 192GB DDR3 Reg ECC) or X9DRH-7F or -7TF (LGA2011, EATX (SSI EEB), ~$250-300, 7 PCIe x8, 8 SAS 6Gb/s, 1TB DDR3 Reg ECC I think).

I'd also be using LSI SAS 2008 cards, like the 9211-8i or 9200-16e (~$25-40 or so) ... But haven't been able to find a budget case (<$80-120) that would hold the 50 or 100 or so 3.5" drives that one of those 7-slot boards loaded with HBAs would apparently support.  (I really don't want rackmount.)

10 hours ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

That ASRock E3V5 WS actually does NOT support the i3-8100.  I do see a Gigabyte C246 WU4 on pcpartpicker, $218.99 at Amazon.

TheE3V5 WS is a lot cheaper though - $79.99 + 3.99 shipping at Newegg.  That plus a $133.89 i3-6100 would be $217.77, slightly cheaper than the Gigabyte board.  Also it only has 2 PCIe x16 slots and 6 SATA ports, and no on-board graphics.  It could be paired with a Celeron or Pentium though. (Skylake preferred, Kaby Lake would need a BIOS update, and Coffee Lake is not compatible.)

I have the i3-6100 myself sitting around here. (It was in my laptop from Dec 2015 to Nov 2016 when I upgraded to a $259 i7-6700K.)  I've thought about getting that E3V5 WS, and slapping the Zotac GT 710 PCIe x1 card in it if I wanted ECC.  If not, and I wanted to use that CPU, I'd be eyeing the ASRock Z270 Taichi (4 PCIe x16 slots, 10 SATA, iGPU, $159.99 @ Amazon).

I've also been looking into a few dual-socket Supermicro options on eBay, like X7DWE (LGA771, ATX, ~$60, 4 PCIe x8, supports 32GB DDR2 FB-DIMM ECC which last I checked was like $25 or something like that), X8DTH-6F (LGA1366, EATX (SSI EEB), ~$160, 7 PCIe x8, 8 SAS 6Gb/s, 192GB DDR3 Reg ECC) or X9DRH-7F or -7TF (LGA2011, EATX (SSI EEB), ~$250-300, 7 PCIe x8, 8 SAS 6Gb/s, 1TB DDR3 Reg ECC I think).

I'd also be using LSI SAS 2008 cards, like the 9211-8i or 9200-16e (~$25-40 or so) ... But haven't been able to find a budget case (<$80-120) that would hold the 50 or 100 or so 3.5" drives that one of those 7-slot boards loaded with HBAs would apparently su

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0199TF3CM#Ask

sorry I meant to add this board into the post above would this one be more suitable

@PianoPlayer88Key

@Ben17 That P10S-M WS is also not compatible with the i3-8100.  For ECC RAM with a Coffee Lake CPU, you NEED a board with a C246 chipset.  (Idk if there's also a C242 chipset, previous generations have had a '2 chipset that also had ECC support.)

2 hours ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

@Ben17 That P10S-M WS is also not compatible with the i3-8100.  For ECC RAM with a Coffee Lake CPU, you NEED a board with a C246 chipset.  (Idk if there's also a C242 chipset, previous generations have had a '2 chipset that also had ECC support.)

Would I be better off upgrading the storage in my PC and building a freenas server in the distant future? by the way are the drives I linked above and down here  able to be used in PCs or servers?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01LWVCZ6N/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_6?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&amp;psc=1&amp;tag=linustechtips-21

Thanks Ben

That's beyond my current level of non-expertise.  Maybe someone else can weigh in?

Also I generally haven't liked Seagate drives, but maybe the newest ones could be better / more reliable?

2 minutes ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

That's beyond my current level of non-expertise.  Maybe someone else can weigh in?

Also I generally haven't liked Seagate drives, but maybe the newest ones could be better / more reliable

Which drives have u found to be most reliable thanks Ben

In the past I've used Western Digital, more recently I've been using HGST Deskstar NAS drives.  I've only used a few drives, not nearly as many as BackBlaze or Linus or others on here have used.