Scrapyard Wars 2019

10 hours ago, Antistatic12 said:

Yeah that would be good. I would enjoy that. If the next scrapyard wars doesn't have Anthony I would be surprised.

I would say if he is not on a build team 100% he will be part of the testing/judging.  

I would love to see Lyle from Bitwit & Jay come back to be on Scrapyard Wars. We don't see enough of Lyle and having him in a season would be amazing.

Rules for season 8:

1. $1,000 USD Budget

2. No time restrictions during the day (all pickup times allowed)

3. RGB (Must be lighting, not tape or paint)

4. Travel expenses don't come from PC budget

5. Buying options limited to Craigslist, Offer Up, & Let Go ( No Retail Stores)

I have been building PCs for over 30 years so if you have any questions please ask. For Future Communication I use Discord for much Faster Response Times as I have it open 24/7. I am also available if you need help before, during, or after the Build Process on Discord through Text,Voice, or Video Chat. I can be with you while you build your new PC if you need me to be. Here is my Discord: Wizardsnapper#2772

Why not Linus vs Marques Brownlee? With a $5000 budget or something so the contestants will have to find the highest end hardware.

I have a great idea!
Instead making one pc each team will have to make 3 different complete machines using ONE budget.
Once they are complted the opposing team gets to
chose(Base on look alone) the PC they will compete against.
It will be great, just imagine making 2 dummy systems and one SUPER PC and then trick the other team to chose the SUPER PC or making 3 OK machines and avoid the risk.

11 hours ago, jackmarino35 said:

Why not Linus vs Marques Brownlee? With a $5000 budget or something so the contestants will have to find the highest end hardware.

That wouldn’t be that fun really. We see super systems built all the time, challenge isn’t that compelling really

Dennis vs Linus but in the home country of Dennis, Linus can't have a translator and has to rely on his smart phone for translation. Dennis has the home turf advantage, Linus has the technical expertise. Hilarity ensues!

• 4 weeks later...

Scrapyard wars INTEL VS AMD 
Both teams get a 2,000$ budget for the entire setup they have to build.

one team has to build a Intel build the other team has to build an amd build. with how Ryzen chips are right now could be fun.

Scrapyard wars: Ad revenue edition

Everyone comfortable getting in front of a camera gets a short video they star in that are all uploaded on the same day. Content of the video is entirely decided by the video star and must be written, shot, and edited by them and them alone. After 1  week/fortnight/month all the videos are removed from the channel. Everyone featured gets the ad revenue their video generated to build their system.

While I realize this devolves in to a popularity contest to see who gets the biggest budget, it'd still be funny to see who among the LMG team can produce the best/most interesting video all on their own and could lead to someone like Janice from accounting becoming a breakout star.

乇乂丅尺卂 丅卄工匚匚

Whatever you do, please don't do the weird ad integration like last time with D-Brand and the girl who is never addressed on camera but is in every shot playing a skinned switch. ?

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

11 hours ago, Ezzy-525 said:

Whatever you do, please don't do the weird ad integration like last time with D-Brand and the girl who is never addressed on camera but is in every shot playing a skinned switch. ?

I never noticed this person, now I have to go back and watch

• 1 month later...
On 8/11/2019 at 10:15 AM, PC MD Doctors said:

I would love to see Lyle from Bitwit & Jay come back to be on Scrapyard Wars. We don't see enough of Lyle and having him in a season would be amazing.

Rules for season 8:

1. $1,000 USD Budget

2. No time restrictions during the day (all pickup times allowed)

3. RGB (Must be lighting, not tape or paint)

4. Travel expenses don't come from PC budget

5. Buying options limited to Craigslist, Offer Up, & Let Go ( No Retail Stores)

I like that set of rules. It's simple and digestible. Also include facebook marketplace and local pickup ebay sellers as buying options. Anything that enables local buying is fine.

Travel distance should be set to a maximum (1 way), I'm not sure on the regional geography, which would help with keeping that distance competitive, so someone would have to come up with a reasonable number. I like separating travel costs from PC budget.

---

Ultimately, it's not about the rules or how novel they are, or if "we already did it last year". What makes the Scrapyard Wars event great is the interactions and reactions that happen during the event, so anything that can facilitate that would be great - perhaps a twice daily video message (snapchat, hangouts, etc.) from each team to create a bit of competitive back n forth.

Maybe adding in a series of competitive mini games similar to how the junkyard wars did on their TV show - that gives the winning team a selection from some "power ups" like seeing the other team's build list, getting an extra $100 dollars, or swapping a single chosen component from each teams builds (blindly). (perhaps a winner gets to spin the prize wheel.) These could be split out over several episodes.

Ideas for mini games

• Manually water cooling a PC (by mouth, blowing fresh water through some tubes), whoever ends with the lowest average temp during a CPU stress test wins
  • Best hand painted/glued/taped/etc design on a sponsored case (the case could be included by a sponsor for both teams, so the focus is only components), thinking like a white blank NZXT case. Ideally these designs would be parody or funny, perhaps making fun of the other team or presenting your team's name in a funny or GAMER way. Some theme would help facilitate creativity.
    • voting could be done in house or as a viewer poll
  • A mini game of "family feud" with PC/mobile/tech related questions with answers aggregated from viewers
  • "The Fastest PC" race - a mini multi-lap parking lot race, with pc cases fitted with coaster wheels, that contestants ride like a small trike while wearing full body pads

The mini games would add some moments where the teams could nag each other and give opportunities for interactions.

I would definitely like to see another season, and hope that Linus would reconsider doing it again. It's one of the events that cemented my interest in LTT on youtube.

I would go for an international version (preferably Europe) of Scrapyard Wars, but not in a mainly English speaking country. Pairing up Linus and Luke up with someone like Roman (Der8auer), Igor (Igor's Lab) or maybe even Greg (Science Studio) depending on how well he speaks German.

Another option could be in Shenzhen, with Dennis and Andy. Biggest problem with this is probably being allowed to record everything.

Some subtitles would be required for this.

As for main challenges I would see if you could try to set to rules to allow more overclocking, maybe by not letting the cooling count into the budget (keeping in mind that the system has to be able to run stable without intervention, so no LN2 or stuff like icebaths). Or maybe go for a server/ws build, not having any gaming benchmarks.

IIRC, Linus very recently posted a very short update on the Snapchat like feature on YouTube showing them working on it. 

• 2 weeks later...

I will watch anything with Dennis or Anthony in.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

There are plenty of things they could do IMO and still keep it interesting.

1) LTT vs Gamers Nexus

2) build the best pc using only prebuilts as the base (think dell optiplex, hp z420, etc)

3) Have the scrapyard wars like normal but then try and sell the pc, whoever can get back the most wins. But when they go to meet the person, they just give them the system or something different from a sponsor.

4) Have them include a console in the build

5) size minded builds

6) legit scrapyard, only get stuff marked as broken or as is to see what they can repair or get items from broken things

7) one person gets all the stuff, the other person has to build it and vice versa. points based on what they had in mind vs what they did, looks, and the performance points goes to the person who bought the stuff

Just some random ideas

Since Win7 get's EOL'ed in January 2020.
ScrapYard Wars for best Windows... XP PC, seem appropriate :D
Crysis 1 + F.E.A.R + DOOM 3

For hardcores : Best Win 98SE.
Testing done : Quake III Arena, Gothic 1, Doom 3, 3DMark 03 and few DOS games (compatibility testing - since it's not that hard to build a booting PC).

CPU : Core i7 6950X @ 4.26 GHz + Hydronaut + TRVX + 2x Delta 38mm PWM
MB : Gigabyte X99 SOC (BIOS F23c)
RAM : 4x Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 @ 3042MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @1.48V.
GPU : Titan Xp Collector's Edition (Empire)
M.2/HDD : Samsung SM961 256GB (NVMe/OS) + + 3x HGST Ultrastar 7K6000 6TB
DAC : Motu M4 + Audio Technica ATH-A900Z
PSU: Seasonic X-760 || CASE : Fractal Meshify 2 XL || OS : Win 10 Pro x64