AM4 Motherboard with USB 3.1 Gen 2 Header

HI,

Could anyone help me find a board that I could get with a USB 3.1 Gen 2 Header as i have been bought a new case with this on and would like to utilize it,

I have looked over the web for this and cant seem to find much in the ways of a list of boards with the header,

I have the Dark Base 700 case for reference and would love a board that doesn't break the bank,

ASROCK x470 Taichi (and the Taichi Ultimate) seem to have one.

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X470 Taichi/index.asp#Specification 

Unfortunately, it seems like only the highest end boards have the gen 2 header

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157835&Description=asrock x470 taichi&cm_re=asrock_x470_taichi-_-13-157-835-_-Product

There's probably a few more in that price range from other board manufacturers, but that was the first one I found. 

Through a some pity by the Amazon RNG gods, I ended up with the USB 3.1 Gen 2 front panel version of the Define R6 when I ordered the standard one (usually it's a separate front panel you have to buy to get it) and thus was looking for a solution that would allow me to use the gen 2 front panel header.. but alas there's not even any pcie add-on cards that I could plug it into and I already have the ASRock X370 Killer SLI/AC board and can't justify replacing a 10 month old board just to get a front panel connector working. 

I'll just wait until some chintz add-on board manufacturer makes one to capitalize on all the cases that have the gen 2 port but not the MOBO support.

• 3 months later...

I too got the define R6, I actually meant to get the type C version. However, I made a mistake when I changed my mind on getting the Taichi x470 and instead got a x370 when it was up for bid on ebay. The x370 had everything I needed, I just missed the USB 3.1 gen 2 header. I saw the rear I/O port and ticked the box (has header).

I know this post is old but by the power of google, I did find a possible solution with some caveats.

Female USB 3.0 to Female USB 3.1 converter

So I looked into this, if you are hoping the have fast data speeds, theoretically this combines two USB 3.0 ports (5 Gbit/s) into one 3.1 gen 2 (theory max 10Gbit/s). If you search for the model number on ebay, you can find it for sale. It's a bit pricey.

The caveats are; 1. Will it really be fully data rate compatible. 2. For my use case I was hoping to use the Fractal Design R6's front 3.1 port to charge my phone. To do that "Rapidly" it has to be USB-PD compatible for sure this adapter is not turning the USB 5v standard at (maybe) 1.5 amps into USB-PD. I doubt even a dedicated motherboard like the Asrock Taichi x470 Ultimate has a header that supports USB-PD.. yet. So my thoughts on USB-C on this case were flawed.. Should have saved the money and got the non USB-C version. Ah Well... perhaps my next build's mobo will have the header and USB-PD.

Perhaps, just for data the converter will do the trick if anyone does pick one up. Please do post and let us know if you get some thunderbolt like speeds out of that converter. I'd be curious.

-Ben