Which headphones.

The Torrent

I posted this on Head fi forums but they not that active. They are like in waves and it’s the wrong time of year. So anyway, here it is. It might have some audiophile like talk such as no gaming headphones which I can’t be bothered to remove.

i used to own a A&K DAC and song 1000xm3 headphones,

It’s all gone now,

Now I’m returning, but I’m different. I no longer care for ‘best quality’, I care for ‘best enjoyment’,

I’m looking for some headphones. I’m considering Sony mdr z7 but they are a bit expensive. Budget between £100-£300.

What I’ll use them for.

Gaming (no I won’t get gaming headphones, not that any of you will reccomend them).
Music in a quiet room (so no need for noise cancelling like my sony’s had)
Production (I will use studio monitors (Adam a7x’s) for eq/balancing. This is only got some stuff so I don’t care about balanced non biased response).
Must have equal to or better sound quality than song 1000x’s (slightly worse allowed if a lot cheaper).
I don’t want them to look dumb. A lot of headphones look dumb such as Sennheiser momentum 2 (but if these are really worth it if you think I will consider it). Some headphones which look decent are Bose qc 35 (they look awesome), Sony 1000x’s, I don’t mind if they look very circular (like mdr z7’s) if they have much better sound quality, but it must be worth it.
I won’t be using a DAC with them, actually I might, but nothing expensive, maybe a Sony Walkman? Idk. But studio production DAC (fireface 800) is a DAC anyway so I guess technically I am).

I want them to have a small aux port. Idk about balance idek the difference (please don’t explain I’m not hard core audiophile anymore).

Many thanks

TT

One good pair could be the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro´s, they´re nice and comfortable, wired and around 99£ on Amazon, or for something a bit pricier the Sennheiser HD 600, for 275£, give you a much nicer sound being open back and all. and they are comfortable aswell.

Cheers,

Daniel

5 minutes ago, Talldata said:

One good pair could be the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro´s, they´re nice and comfortable, wired and around 99£ on Amazon, or for something a bit pricier the Sennheiser HD 600, for 275£, give you a much nicer sound being open back and all. and they are comfortable aswell.

Cheers,

Daniel

Yea I’m looking for something around the senheisers.

i should have mentioned I need them to be closed back, for when producing on on the go. It just gives them some more universality,

but if the 600’s where closed back, that would be perfect. Anyone know any as such?

thanks

I really want some Oppo pm3’s if anyone’s selling any.

i was really disappointed when Oppo stopped producing headphones...

6 hours ago, The Torrent said:

i should have mentioned I need them to be closed back, for when producing on on the go. It just gives them some more universality,

but if the 600’s where closed back, that would be perfect. Anyone know any as such?

thanks

Well something like the Sony MDR7506, sound ok and fit ok. I asked a friend and they suggested the Sennheiser HD 569´s

6 hours ago, The Torrent said:

I really want some Oppo pm3’s if anyone’s selling any.

i was really disappointed when Oppo stopped producing headphones...

Also Multiple pairs used on Ebay for the 300£ mark,

On 2/1/2019 at 2:55 PM, Talldata said:

Also Multiple pairs used on Ebay for the 300£ mark,

Right, but the thing is that's about how much they cost new, and those are likely used headphones, which is a bit of a bummer.

The PM3 is a really fun headphone though - I had a pair for a period of time a couple of years ago. Very enjoyable for on the go listening (as long as it's not the middle of the summer on the east coast - which it was...)

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

I bet Bose QC35 II would be best.
There's not much to choose from based on your needs, unless you would go to the IEM/Earbud world :D 

On 2/1/2019 at 5:11 PM, The Torrent said:

thanks

try out the HD650, I think they sound better than the 600

On 2/1/2019 at 3:52 PM, The Torrent said:

I posted this on Head fi forums but they not that active. They are like in waves and it’s the wrong time of year. So anyway, here it is. It might have some audiophile like talk such as no gaming headphones which I can’t be bothered to remove.

i used to own a A&K DAC and song 1000xm3 headphones,

It’s all gone now,

Now I’m returning, but I’m different. I no longer care for ‘best quality’, I care for ‘best enjoyment’,

I’m looking for some headphones. I’m considering Sony mdr z7 but they are a bit expensive. Budget between £100-£300.

What I’ll use them for.

Gaming (no I won’t get gaming headphones, not that any of you will reccomend them).
Music in a quiet room (so no need for noise cancelling like my sony’s had)
Production (I will use studio monitors (Adam a7x’s) for eq/balancing. This is only got some stuff so I don’t care about balanced non biased response).
Must have equal to or better sound quality than song 1000x’s (slightly worse allowed if a lot cheaper).
I don’t want them to look dumb. A lot of headphones look dumb such as Sennheiser momentum 2 (but if these are really worth it if you think I will consider it). Some headphones which look decent are Bose qc 35 (they look awesome), Sony 1000x’s, I don’t mind if they look very circular (like mdr z7’s) if they have much better sound quality, but it must be worth it.
I won’t be using a DAC with them, actually I might, but nothing expensive, maybe a Sony Walkman? Idk. But studio production DAC (fireface 800) is a DAC anyway so I guess technically I am).

I want them to have a small aux port. Idk about balance idek the difference (please don’t explain I’m not hard core audiophile anymore).

Many thanks

TT

Sennheiser 598 CS's

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

NAD HP50 if you can get them cheap. They’re often on clearance sale because nobody wants them. But they sound so good. Very neutral. 

thanks for the help guys,

after extensive research I ended up getting Audeze El8 Titanium’s.

i regret nothing they are amazing.