Difference in VB and VB .net

afaq0
Go to solution Solved by Franck,
5 hours ago, afaq0 said:

Hi. I am an absolute beginner and would like to know something. If I learned a tutorial for VB, would I be able to use VB .net? 

Without defining VB by the version 1.0 trough 6.0 it might sometime mean VB.NET (year 2001 +).

VB classic (1.0 to 6.0) are the same language with the same "framework".

VB.NET has the same~ish syntax as VB (1.0 to 6.0) but use .NET framework which has much more powerful features.

VBA is another product that you see in MS Office products (most of the time) is using syntax from VB 3.0, 5.0 and 6.0 (depending on the version of office/VBA)

Finally it's tougher to familiarize with VB when you learned VB.NET first than if it was the other way around. VB has not been changed in 20 years so it's not like you will encounter it everyday.

I would suggest you find a .net tutorial instead. Also note that since VB is so old lot's of tutorial mention it being VB but they mean VB.Net. They just mention "VB" in generic and automatically think that it imply it's VB.Net. I mean when people ask me a question about it they ask me "How do i do this in VB ?" and they mean VB.net.

Note VB Classic still has it's uses and is VERY common in manufacturer black-box software. Especially version 5.0 and 6.0. Luckily interop exists and it work with any other languages

Hi. I am an absolute beginner and would like to know something. If I learned a tutorial for VB, would I be able to use VB .net? 

Visual c++ is nicer than visual basic. Just my opinion. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

5 hours ago, afaq0 said:

Without defining VB by the version 1.0 trough 6.0 it might sometime mean VB.NET (year 2001 +).

VB.NET has the same~ish syntax as VB (1.0 to 6.0) but use .NET framework which has much more powerful features.

VBA is another product that you see in MS Office products (most of the time) is using syntax from VB 3.0, 5.0 and 6.0 (depending on the version of office/VBA)

Finally it's tougher to familiarize with VB when you learned VB.NET first than if it was the other way around. VB has not been changed in 20 years so it's not like you will encounter it everyday.

I would suggest you find a .net tutorial instead. Also note that since VB is so old lot's of tutorial mention it being VB but they mean VB.Net. They just mention "VB" in generic and automatically think that it imply it's VB.Net. I mean when people ask me a question about it they ask me "How do i do this in VB ?" and they mean VB.net.

Note VB Classic still has it's uses and is VERY common in manufacturer black-box software. Especially version 5.0 and 6.0. Luckily interop exists and it work with any other languages

1 minute ago, Franck said:

I would suggest you find a .net tutorial instead. Also note that since VB is so old lot's of tutorial mention it being VB but they mean VB.Net. They just mention "VB" in generic and automatically think that it imply it's VB.Net. I mean when people ask me a question about it they ask me "How do i do this in VB ?" and automatically assume that they mean VB.net.