Looking for Sennheiser HD598 replacement

JorenBus

So I just decided to sit on my perfectly working HD598 headphones... turns out they don't really like that and now they're broken.

Basically I'm looking for a replacement for my 598, since I can't seem to find any 598's anymore.

What headphone would you recommend? I pretty much liked everything about the 598.

I would like it if it had the same kind of soundstage, detachable cable and open back.

Any recommendations?

CPU: Core i5 4690k                                                   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M                     RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Red                             

GPU: RX 580                                                             Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB                  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 520W

Case: NZXT S340 red/black                                      Case lighting: NZXT Hue+                          Mouse: Logitech G502

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo                     Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

Maybe look at the Massdrop HD 600's?

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

I switched from the HD598s to the Massdrop HD6XXs.  Overall they are very similar, but I'm very happy with the performance - especially for the price!  They fit a little tighter on the head, but break in after some time and become very comfortable to wear for extended periods of time.

The only thing I don't like too much is the cable running to both earcups, but you get used to it after a while.  The shorter cable is nice since they route to a DAC/AMP combo on my desk.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

2 hours ago, JorenBus said:

So I just decided to sit on my perfectly working HD598 headphones... turns out they don't really like that and now they're broken.

Basically I'm looking for a replacement for my 598, since I can't seem to find any 598's anymore.

What headphone would you recommend? I pretty much liked everything about the 598.

I would like it if it had the same kind of soundstage, detachable cable and open back.

Any recommendations?

I own a pair of HD558's and wanted something more and went with the HD6XX off massdrop and was very pleased.   Everything I didn't like about the 558's was gone there is just enough of everything bass treble etc  anyone I have let listen to the headphones is blown away.. you will go back and listen to all your favorite songs.  They do require an amp to get the most out of them but its well worth it for the $200.00. Probably would be the last open back headphone you would ever need to buy.

Another option is the HD58X I have not tried these but apparently they are awesome as well.  Im sure you can find reviews on these.

If you want a great set of closed backs you can try out the Audio-Technica M40X w/ Brainwaves Hm5 Angled pad upgrade.   Note: Stock pads are unusable and must be replaced. 

https://www.massdrop.com for the HD58X & HD6XX

EDIT:  Was just on massdrop and they have the HD58X & HD6XX on for another 18 Hours also on the Audiophile drops there is the FX-Audio DAC x6 for $50.00! I have owned the X6 in the past and its a great amp and is just enough for the 6xx and would power the 58x really nicely.

ATH-M40X w/ PADs 

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M40x-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00HVLUR54/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1548973973&sr=8-3&keywords=Ath+m40x

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZY8PGJI/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B00ZY8PGJI&pd_rd_w=CPmlh&pf_rd_p=f0dedbe2-13c8-4136-a746-4398ed93cf0f&pd_rd_wg=AYyt1&pf_rd_r=QYR30V25WCVHFXCRDZRK&pd_rd_r=3e5804f9-25a8-11e9-b2b2-83751d0b2340

Go for HE4XX from Massdrop, they have more detailed/sharper sound and better bass compared to 6XX also better imaging/soundstage i think, in terms of sound signature they're similar to 598 but brighter more "alive" ( 598 sounds bit muddy/dark compared to 4XX ). But keep in mind that these are around 2x harder to drive than 6XX ( friend just got 4XX and he told me that HD 650 gets loud at around 40% on his amp, and 4XX needs 70% to get same volume ).  Either way u would need amp for both anyway, meanwhile the 598 is extremely efficient.