Whats with all the hate towards B-roll?

joelthezombie15

I'm perplexed as to why everyone is hating on B-roll i see hundreds of comments on Youtube and quite a few on the forum saying "B-roll is so shaky and cant focus and he is stupid" and I don't think that he deserves all that hate. In my opinion he is doing a perfectly fine job. Sure he can be shaky from time to time but slick wasn't much better when he started. I don't understand why no one can give him a chance. And even if he did suck (which i dont think he does) how else is he going to get better if he doesn't get to film anything? you also have to admit Linus is a bit hard to film he moves around a lot. Also they have been filming outside a lot and I'm sure it can be a bit difficult not all ground is even and sometimes he may have to stand on a curb and balance or something. I'm sure the guy is nervous there is 330,773 people judging his work. I just feel bad for the guy seeing all those negative comments it must be difficult to keep doing what you love with everyone tearing you down. All I'm asking is for everyone to treat him like hes in the room with you and keep your thoughts to your self or at least be constructive with you judging. It would make me sad to see all these nice people on this forum start being jerks. and yes i know i sound like the leave Brittany alone guy i just want this to be a nice forum. And i like seeing the tech tips family grow.

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Agree 110%, as an amateur cameraman I can relate to him, he just needs to practice, get camera time work with it learn the ropes and in no time he will be doing a great job, meantime just hang in there, not everyone is as mean (as you can probably see here if you read this)

Have in mind YouTube trolls are not the same helpful people that post in the forums, sure some come here, but most are actually trying to help others :)

B-roll keep on the good work, you'll see in no time people won't even notice who is behind the camera!

Main Rig: i7 3770k, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LP, MSI MPower Z77, Corsair H60, MSI GTX 780 LightningI, Ultra X4 1050Watts, 128gb SSD, 4tb Storage.

Lappy: ASUS G46VW i7 3630QM,  16Gb Corsair Vengeance, 128gb SSD, 500gb HDD, 1600x900 Screen. 

Agree 110%, as an amateur cameraman I can relate to him, he just needs to practice, get camera time work with it learn the ropes and in no time he will be doing a great job, meantime just hang in there, not everyone is as mean (as you can probably see here if you read this)

Have in mind YouTube trolls are not the same helpful people that post in the forums, sure some come here, but most are actually trying to help others :)

B-roll keep on the good work, you'll see in no time people won't even notice who is behind the camera!

i know that youtube has trolls but every so often i see them on the forum to i went to video about 3 months old and some was commenting that Linus filming on his phone was steadier than B-roll and that is just ridiculous

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

People go the extra mile to hurt others but don't do a thing to help someone... I just ignore them, as should B-roll ^^

Main Rig: i7 3770k, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LP, MSI MPower Z77, Corsair H60, MSI GTX 780 LightningI, Ultra X4 1050Watts, 128gb SSD, 4tb Storage.

Lappy: ASUS G46VW i7 3630QM,  16Gb Corsair Vengeance, 128gb SSD, 500gb HDD, 1600x900 Screen. 

I think it is good they are filming outside, when he moves back in he will be a bit more steady, as of anything, practice makes perfect!

Keep up the good work B-roll! You have our support!

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 - 

• ░░░░░░░▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄░░░░░░░░░
  • ░░░░▄▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░░
  • ░░▄▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░
  • ░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░
  • â–‘â–▌░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░â–▌░░
  • ░█░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄░░▀▀▀▀▀░░█░░
  • â–▌░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀░░░â–▌░
  • █░░░░░░░░░▄▄▀▀▀▀▀░░░░▀▀▀▀▄░█░
  • █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀░░░â–â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘â–â–Œ
  • â–▌░░░░░░░░░â–▀▀██▄░░░░░░▄▄▄░â–â–Œ
  • ░█░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀▀░░░░░░▀▀██░▀▄
  • â–‘â–▌░░░░▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░▌░░░░░░█
  • â–‘â–‘â–▌░░â–░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░█
  • ░░░█░░░▌░░░░░░░░â–▀░░░░▄▀░░░â–â–Œ
  • â–‘â–‘â–‘â–▌░░▀▄░░░░░░░░▀░▀░▀▀░░░▄▀░
  • â–‘â–‘â–‘â–▌░░â–▀▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█░░
  • â–‘â–‘â–‘â–▌░░░▌░▀▄░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀░░░█░░░
  • ░░░█░░░▀░░░░▀▄░░░░░░░░░░▄▀░░░
  • â–‘â–‘â–▌░░░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄▀░░░░░
  • ░▄▀░░░▄▀░░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀█▀░░░░░░░
  • ▀░░░▄▀░░░░░░░░░░▀░░░▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
  • â–╬▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
  • â–‘â•â•¦â•â•‘â–‘â•‘â•”â•â•—â–‘â–‘â–‘â•”â•â•—â•”â•â•—â•”â•â•—â•‘â–‘â–‘â•”â•â•—â–‘
  • â–‘â–‘â•‘â–‘â• â•â•£â• â•£â–‘░░░╠╣░╠╣░╠╣░║░░╚â•â•—â–‘
  • â–‘â–‘â•‘â–‘â•‘â–‘â•‘â•šâ•â•â–‘â–‘â–‘â•‘â–‘â–‘â•šâ•â•â•šâ•â•â•šâ•â•â•šâ•â•â–‘

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

well in a nutshell he is new, people don't like change real or perceived.

Spoiler

AMD R7 1800X, H100i GTX, AMD Radeon RED DEVIL 5700XT, ASUS STRIX B350-F GAMING, 16gb DDR4 3000, 1Tb, 2 X SEAGATE 1Tb, Coolermaster V1200 Platinum, NZXT H440 red/black, STEEL SERIES AEROX 3, DUCKY X POWER COLOR RED DEVIL KEYBOARD, Microsoft xbox 360 wired controller, LG ULTRAWIDE.

Because he is the new guy. Ever joined a sports team and everyone liked you right off the start? Or your first day of highschool? If so ur 1 in 10 million.

Life is pain. Anyone who says any different is either selling something or the government.

----CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.2ghz----COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO----MOBO: MSI 970A-G46----PSU: OCZ 600watt----CASE: Black Corsair C70----GPU: Sapphire 7870 dual fan ghz edtion----2 random HDD'S----A couple fans here and there. Mouse: Gigabyte M6900-------Keyboard: Logitech G105-----Mousepad: Steel series something something.

I agree as well, I think it is also important to consider the amount of video's they have to produce, most I'm guessing will be shot in one take and Linus can be a challenge to predict. The camera being used isn't great for this type of work the Super 35mm sensor has a shallower DOF compared to something like a 1/3" 3CCD camera, it definitely pays off in the TechQuickie work though.

He is new and think hes doing great, very easy to get nervous in a new job. Like I said too its quite a difficult camera to operate handheld, I would be keeping the shots fairly wide somewhere in the 35-50mm focal length range and moving as apposed to zooming and I think this would help stability a great deal. I'm certain B-roll knows what he is doing, it's amazing how much of it goes out of the window when you are nervous.

I think a mounting rig and a follow focus system would be a great investment for them, it would definitely help with all the 'run and gun' stuff on the FS700

Thanks for the kind words guys. I made a bad call on my 1st day of shooting unboxings to use the FS700 on a Monopod that didn't have tripod feet and we shot in blazing sunny weather with no monitor outside of the one on the camera suffice to say it was kind of hard to tell if I was as perfectly steady as I usually would be using say a DSLR which is what I am used too. I had also only just learned the cameras layout so all these things together = not a great batch of videos.

But I've been working out a way to improve that and hopefully it works with the next bunch of unboxings. Keep your eyes out for our Tech Quickie commercials cause those are where I can truly have some fun with camera work; should be enjoyable.

Thanks again for your constructive criticism

*Puts tin foil hat on* What if all the hate is from the people who didn't get the internship, and they're butt hurt O.O

PC: EVGA GTX680, i5 2500K, 8GB Kingston HyperX, Gigabyte Z68-GA-UD3P, 120GB OCZ SSD, 2x1TB WD Greens, Corsair 600t, Corsair AX750, Corsair H100i, ASUS MX239H, Corsair K60 + M60. 

*Puts tin foil hat on* What if all the hate is from the people who didn't get the intern-ship, and they're butt hurt, ya never know

PC: EVGA GTX680, i5 2500K, 8GB Kingston HyperX, Gigabyte Z68-GA-UD3P, 120GB OCZ SSD, 2x1TB WD Greens, Corsair 600t, Corsair AX750, Corsair H100i, ASUS MX239H, Corsair K60 + M60. 

Thanks for the kind words guys. I made a bad call on my 1st day of shooting unboxings to use the FS700 on a Monopod that didn't have tripod feet and we shot in blazing sunny weather with no monitor outside of the one on the camera suffice to say it was kind of hard to tell if I was as perfectly steady as I usually would be using say a DSLR which is what I am used too. I had also only just learned the cameras layout so all these things together = not a great batch of videos.

But I've been working out a way to improve that and hopefully it works with the next bunch of unboxings. Keep your eyes out for our Tech Quickie commercials cause those are where I can truly have some fun with camera work; should be enjoyable.

I wasn't being kind, I was being honest :D My main earner is photography but over the last 4 years have been working freelance for a production company that produces work mostly for broadcasting so I can completely sympathize with your situation, it can be a massive change coming from a DSLR background.

I started on a Z1 and now shoot on an EX5 and Panasonic AF101 the latter probably most similar to the FS700 in terms of operation, unboxings probably aren't its strong point, definitely requires a specific set of lenses and kit.

I noticed the mistakes in the first couple of videos and didn't bother me at all because I know how easy they are to make, by any chance was I right about the shutter speed being set too high to control the exposure?

Anyways I think you are doing a great job, making mistakes is all a part of it. Looking forward to your Tech Quickie work, I know that's where you will really shine and don't listen to any complaints, from what I have seen they come from people with very little knowledge on the subject.

Keep up the good work :)

Im an average viewer of linus tech tips I know very little about camera work, but I think the new videos are great, sure they will get better too. I had a big argument on her the other dayu with someone who was criticising b rols camera work because the whole thing was so patranising. If you are going to give negative feedback towards something at least prove that your good at it yourself. The guys do a great job, linus tech tips will only get bigger! Good luck b-rol!

Intel I7 2600k @ 4.5ghz, Asetek 510 LC Xtremegear liquid cooling system, PALIT GTX 780 Super Jetstream OC, 8Gb Kingston Hyper X blu series 1600mhz, 64Gb Crucial M4 series SATA III Gaming MLC SSD, 1TB Western Digital HDD 6.0gb/s,  Asus P8z68-v Pro Motherboard, Corsair Vengance K90 Keyboard,950Watt Cyberpower PSU, Cyborg RAT 5 ,  Coolermaster CM 690II case, Dell Ultrasharp U2412M 1920 x 1200

I've not seen anything ridiculously unsteady to the point it becomes impossible to watch, or even made my viewing experience unpleasant.

At the end of the day, it's always easy for people to sit behind a computer and blindly criticise someone for even the most insignificant of mistakes they make. But as people usually say, "Let's see you do better!" - which most of them can't. Because those who have the experience and knowledge to do so typically have the decorum and understanding to provide constructive criticisms rather than blind ones.

Ignore the hate. I'm looking forward to seeing more videos! :)

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

I'm sorry but why do people hate it when it is shaky. Some people just can't help it but shake. People nedd to stop bitching about it and watch the damn video.

LinusTechTips Livestream ModTeam

BUILD - i7-3770K @4.7GHz - Asus Maximus V Formula - Corsair Dominator Platinum - CM Storm Trooper w/ side window - Asus Matrix HD7970 Platinum - Corsair HX1050 - CM Storm Quick Fire TK BLUE - Razer Ourobours - Custom Loop

I'm sorry but why do people hate it when it is shaky. Some people just can't help it but shake. People nedd to stop bitching about it and watch the damn video.

LinusTechTips Livestream ModTeam

BUILD - i7-3770K @4.7GHz - Asus Maximus V Formula - Corsair Dominator Platinum - CM Storm Trooper w/ side window - Asus Matrix HD7970 Platinum - Corsair HX1050 - CM Storm Quick Fire TK BLUE - Razer Ourobours - Custom Loop

Im an average viewer of linus tech tips I know very little about camera work, but I think the new videos are great, sure they will get better too. I had a big argument on her the other dayu with someone who was criticising b rols camera work because the whole thing was so patranising. If you are going to give negative feedback towards something at least prove that your good at it yourself. The guys do a great job, linus tech tips will only get bigger! Good luck b-rol!
same here

same here

no problem hope you have fun with the job

This is first time for me to read about this... I think he is doing great job and he will only get better as time goes by. Keep it up B-roll! :)

Intel i5 3570k | MSI GTX 670 Power Edition/OC SLI | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB | Fractal Design Newton R2 650W | NZXT Switch 810 SE Gun Metal | BenQ 24" XL2420T 120Hz | Corsair K90  | Logitech G500 / Logtitech Performance MX | Sennheiser PC 360 | Asus Xonar DGX | NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision 2 Wireless Kit

Not to be that guy, but...

B-Roll could do way better. I know camera work is hard and all, but as successful as this YouTube channel and this community is, it feels as if the quality of the content is suffering from B-Roll. For example;

-Shakyness, yes I know, it's not that important and I can deal with it as well

-Auto/manual focus problems, I don't know why he feels the need or why the camera keeps unfocusing and has to refocus to be a clear shot

-Zoom ins, this is a big problem for me, as an avid Linus watcher you know what Linus is about focus on next and talk about, but then he just zooms in on Linus's face, what's up with that?

The recent unboxing of the Gigabyte UD4H Z77 board was PERFECT in my opinion, but I bet B-Roll didn't record that and if he did, then great job! Your abilities must have been off the other couple of times!

I know I am going to get some hate, but I did provide as to why I have problems with the videos. I think he is a great addition to the team, but my fear is that the quality is lowering because of it and needs to be addressed. I could care less if he was the intern, I was, or some other average Joe out there, but I bet B-Roll got the position because of what he can do and I know I couldn't do a better job personally.

Maybe it's stage fright? I don't know, but it needs to be fixed.

well in a nutshell he is new' date=' people don't like change real or perceived.[/quote']

Humans hate change. We'll get over it!

Please quote me if you want me to see your post about my post, otherwise I may lose track of the thread and never see it.

I'd love to help, but I'm probably gonna' have to ask for more info before we can get anything done.

Have a wonderful day.