Death of the Lightning port

Belgarathian
2 hours ago, mxk. said:

No but my school district is incredibly poor and kids use their phone allll the time. Lots of iphone 6s' and 6's on their last legs but families don't have enough money to get the newer phones for their kids.

Reveal hidden contents

Just a little rant,

Nike is headquartered here, where I live in Oregon and they own a boat load of land. They have some stupid ass deal with our city and they don't have to pay taxes for all the goddamn land they own. My district could be a little less poor if Nike actually helped out a bit. Even Intel helps some, but it doesn't do too much.

I wonder why nvidia doesn't donate to my high school, bc Jensen graduated from my high school.. Wishful thinking ig

It's the same here. Many people in my city either have to do shady stuff to get by or they just try to work the only minimum wage job they can find.

17 minutes ago, mxk. said:

Yeah, I suppose. My parents don't buy me phones, I usually have to pay for them myself. There's definitely a split in kids everywhere. I see people at my school get a new phone and airpods (ew) every year. I see literally no need to get a new phone every year, it's such a waste of money.

Again, same here. I paid for my phone myself.

In my school there's a split in kids too. Some kids have brand new iPhones and some have half-broken iPhone 4's and nearly dead Alcatel phones.

There's a whole group of kids with iPhone 8's and iPhone X's. Some people in my friend group do have some nice phones, but they pay for them theirselves.

2 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Magsafe was an extremely flimsy connector. It knocked off with any torque. It was also a dedicated port and was always on the left side of the machine. Its better that it's gone imo. 

I preferred Magsafe tbh.. I honestly wish it was adopted on all laptops. It's one of the few apple 'inventions' that I actually think is quite useful.

I've got a 2007 MBP and Magsafe has been fine for me. Never once have I knocked the connector off the laptop (apart from tripping over it of course)

my prediction: watch apple be the first to implement drm on their C port in order to keep their certification business 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

19 minutes ago, 1kv said:

but they pay for them theirselves

at least they know the value of a dollar

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Something I just realized...

With any iPhone with a lighting port, you can suspend said iPhone by the cable. Don’t think you can do that with USB-C. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

With any iPhone with a lighting port, you can suspend said iPhone by the cable. Don’t think you can do that with USB-C. 

Suspend... as in hold in the air by the cable?

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

1 minute ago, Suika said:

Suspend... as in hold in the air by the cable?

Yes

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

3 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Magsafe was an extremely flimsy connector. It knocked off with any torque. It was also a dedicated port and was always on the left side of the machine. Its better that it's gone imo. 

It's better that a connector which wouldn't allow you're Macbook to be yanked off a desk by its power cord..is gone?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

2 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

It's better that a connector which wouldn't allow you're Macbook to be yanked off a desk by its power cord..is gone?

That is a drawback yes, but the fact that you have 4 ports to choose from and can charge on any side is better than a single dedicated port imo. Even if said port has accidental trip protection. 

6 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Yes

I held my Pixel 2 XL up to test that and uh... yea it's just fine, the connector holds on pretty confidently.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

4 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

That is a drawback yes, but the fact that you have 4 ports to choose from and can charge on any side is better than a single dedicated port imo. Even if said port has accidental trip protection. 

It's down to opinion, but I know which one I'd rather.

i'd much rather have a dedicated port than not have a broken laptop if i trip on the charger ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 minute ago, 1kv said:

i'd much rather have a dedicated port than not have a broken laptop if i trip on the charger ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You fool! Just don’t trip!? 

18 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

You fool! Just don’t trip!? 

Tell that to idiots at work or school.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Just now, Dabombinable said:

Tell that to idiots at work or school.

You have to be smarter than the idiots. 

33 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

I just did the same with my Note8 

Honestly, why would you? You're just adding more strain to a cable that is actually pretty fragile. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Now let's get everything using USB-C!

Monitors? USB-C!

Keyboards? USB-C!

Mice? USB-C!

Speakers? USB-C!

Headphones? USB-C!

Your Cat? USB-C!

GPUs? USB-C!

Jokes aside, I hope Apple pulls through and switches it over.

1 hour ago, Ravendarat said:

I have a Macbook from mid 2009 and have NEVER ONCE had my magsafe connector accidentally come unplugged, now the charger cable for my Pixel 2xl, that damn thing falls out almost daily while it sits on my night stand.

EDIT ***** I should point out I'm not saying some people didn't have problems with them, I'm saying I never ran into one, and I think calling it extremely flimsy is a drastic overstatement ******

I've got a 2012 MacBook Pro. I absolutely love magsafe. I haven't had an issue with it so far, and I don't quite see why people dislike it. Idk about the second gen magsafe, but first gen takes a little bit of force to get it to come off, and it doesn't stick out a ton either.

I think what people might be missing is that it's made to come off somewhat easily, that way if someone hits the cord, instead of taking the entire computer with it, the cord just pops off.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Wont be surprised if Apple comes out with it and says "usb-c but designed to only work with our special usb c cables" to keep you trapped with them.

Noice! But 120Hz, an in-screen fingerprint reader and keeping 3D Touch is all want Apple to do! 

Corsair iCUE 4000X RGB

ASUS ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING

Ryzen 5900X

Corsair Hydro H150i Pro 360mm AIO

Ballistix 32GB (4x8GB) 3600MHz CL16 RGB

Samsung 980 PRO 1TB

Samsung 970 EVO 1TB

Gigabyte RTX 3060 Ti GAMING OC

Corsair RM850X

Predator XB273UGS QHD IPS 165 Hz

iPhone 13 Pro 128GB Graphite

20 minutes ago, ne0tic said:

Noice! But 120Hz, an in-screen fingerprint reader and keeping 3D Touch is all want Apple to do! 

Currently no indication for 120Hz on iPhone yet. I think Apple is committed to FaceID, and I’m gonna pretty sure iPhone XR was the test bead for Haptic Touch only moving forward. 

6 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

I MISS MAGSAFE SO MUCH. (Sorry for caps but I'm emotional)

So happy that I still have MagSafe on my ‘15 MBP haha 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

6 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

I MISS MAGSAFE SO MUCH. (Sorry for caps but I'm emotional)

when I eventually upgrade to a newer MacBook in a few years I'll miss it too. MagSafe has saved my MacBook from falling to death a few times. 

She/Her

35 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Currently no indication for 120Hz on iPhone yet. I think Apple is committed to FaceID, and I’m gonna pretty sure iPhone XR was the test bead for Haptic Touch only moving forward. 

I know but I'm really hoping some of it will happen! I hate that they will probably remove 3D Touch since I think it's a really cool feature and is one of the only things that makes iPhones truly different from other Android phones :)

Corsair iCUE 4000X RGB

ASUS ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING

Ryzen 5900X

Corsair Hydro H150i Pro 360mm AIO

Ballistix 32GB (4x8GB) 3600MHz CL16 RGB

Samsung 980 PRO 1TB

Samsung 970 EVO 1TB

Gigabyte RTX 3060 Ti GAMING OC

Corsair RM850X

Predator XB273UGS QHD IPS 165 Hz

iPhone 13 Pro 128GB Graphite

Knew this was coming but i still like the head of the Lightning better than anything else in the market

7 hours ago, mxk. said:

No but my school district is incredibly poor and kids use their phone allll the time. Lots of iphone 6s' and 6's on their last legs but families don't have enough money to get the newer phones for their kids.

Hide contents

Just a little rant,

Nike is headquartered here, where I live in Oregon and they own a boat load of land. They have some stupid ass deal with our city and they don't have to pay taxes for all the goddamn land they own. My district could be a little less poor if Nike actually helped out a bit. Even Intel helps some, but it doesn't do too much.

I wonder why nvidia doesn't donate to my high school, bc Jensen graduated from my high school.. Wishful thinking ig

reality check: You're not entitled to any money from nike, nvidia or intel. And if your local council is signing messed up deals with companies, vote for a different council.

1 hour ago, LePawel said:

reality check: You're not entitled to any money from nike, nvidia or intel. And if your local council is signing messed up deals with companies, vote for a different council.

Spoiler

fyi: I know... It just stinks. If I implied that I was entitled (it seems I did), I'm really just talking about the fact that nike doesn't help out despite the huge tax break they get. I don't think nvidia or nike will ever help out, and that's just the breaks. I'm happy that Intel donates a little, it's better than nothing. I can't vote in a different council?

This is getting too off topic of the fact that this is a tech news post about the lightning port. I shouldn't have taken it in that direction.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu