System Upgrade :DDDD woop woop

MicroDotz
On 2/7/2019 at 8:35 AM, GoldenLag said:

bad deal. it should be about 20$ max per 8GB stick. try to get it to 50$. if you are buying that is

try getting a new CPU before PSU. the r9 270x isnt super powerhungry. 

find Ram that they are selling (idk your Dim config, but try to get at least 8GB in there. 16 if the budget allows). (i am assuming you allready have a cooler). see if they have broken boards with CPUs in them. might be able to gamble on if the CPU works. see if you can get a harddrive. it is unlikely they are selling those, but if they do. look for 320GB or larger drives. 

idk the type of recycle center you are going to. if they only do fulltowers. see if you can get deals on broken fulltowers with good-ish hardware in them. just because the tower doesnt work doesnt mean everything is broken. could just be a bad mobo or PSU. 

also bring a phillips head screwdriver. you never know when you get the oppertunity to dismount stuff to check things like CPU models. 

this rlly helpful thanks ?❤️  i was pissed ram is so expensive and stuf that tht actually seemed like a deal in the modern market, but ill ask at recycling place instead for the ddr3 deals, aparently the board has 2 slots and supports 10666 and 1333 or soemthing like that, (i think higher clocked 1600 ram will work, itll just underclock it though ? ) 

i hav 1tb laptop drive i was gonna possibly stick into the tower, and if not i wasgonna put the 1tb into my laptop and put the 500g the 1tb replaced into the tower im making, (there both 2.5inch sata drives...)

as i hav the 120g ssd i might keep the operating system on there and a game or two, and use a 1tb drive for personal files tht was the kinda setup i had in mind, but im not there yet despite having bunch of low end parts im gonna get wat my budget allows then build it back up with the new things n cross my fingers. too bad i cant overclock on this stufs...

i wonder if theyd let me walk out of the recycling center with amazing parts for 70$ lol 

it seems lieka very advanced center they hav ebay stores n stuff with higher end cpus and mobos 

i miss teh old days wen 8gb ddr sticks was 20$ but i couldent find anything better than 30$ for each, so i got 16gb total (2 8g sticks) for 60$ yesterday, picked up a miniscule hdd and some sodimm from recycling center too.  

i guess next month ima be looking at power supplies and processors at the recycle place,

ahh ya i appreciate your helps even tho i deviated from it a bit ? 

On 2/7/2019 at 8:35 AM, GoldenLag said:

meow

heyyy heres peek inside

? 

its i-3 2100 @3.1ghz with stock cooler lol

p8h67m-lx mobo +  16gb ddr3

120g ssd for windows and 320gb 7200rpm slave

saphire r9 270x oc 2gb

1500rpm intake fan suucking at the front real good.

+ thermaltake case and some bright led strips in there.

still looking for a lower cost fan to put in the upper chassis end and a psu...

3333.jpg.274bfe04c9b57ce9538709927b74bbfb.jpg

lets pretend wedont notice the powersupply thats destined to explode ?

i have successfully build an overpowered poetato >:D heck yaa

On 2/1/2019 at 8:33 AM, GoldenLag said:

Yes, that is a good place to start.

See if you can push a bit on price. The prices i use for refrence cam be a bit optimistic, but it is what i value the components in the current market.

hayy i ended up snagging an I5-3570 and putting it into my mobo which didnt specifically list it as supported but the 3570k version was supported so i took a chance, i spread my drippy goop on it yesterday and fired it up and it WAS RECONIZED:DDDDDDDDDDD

i saw bunch of expensive 3470 @ 50$ but i dug deeper n got deal on the 3570   (it runs very cool too as the stock cooler has copper core and more power to the fan instead of the underpowered all aluminum i3 one on there before) 

so yee i think itll perform betr than the i3-2100 tht i had in there before and i can game prob allright with it :3
now its like an overpowered plate of beautiful french fries that all the girls want, instead of just a potato ? yay :D i think it ups the value of the build too, and seeing as i got it for 40$ i can sell the i-3 for like half that and it becomes pretty cheap upgrade. its almost exactly wat i wanted(reasonably speaking it is, since i cause cant afford overclocking boards n chips n gpus so easily)

!are u proud of me sensei * o*/

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, MicroDotz said:

are u proud of me sensei * o*/

Yep. That system will keep you going a long time.

Upgrade the GPU once and you can keep this a veeery long time and still play modern titles at reasonable settings. 

15 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

Yep. That system will keep you going a long time.

Upgrade the GPU once and you can keep this a veeery long time and still play modern titles at reasonable settings. 

oh oh ohh yesterday ~~beepbeepbeepeepeebp~ BREAKING NEWS~!~ 

i met someone who is going to trade me an i5 3770  i7 3770 they have ina system for sale for my i5 3570, so theres extra more good processing coming to this tower O: and same person offered me a free gtx 970 (or some other 4gb card) cause there upgrading, (OMGWTF)(but they build lots of computers btw) so i learnt all this yesterday which was pretty unexpected thing for me... i mean shit id love someone foreev for 2-3$ chickn nugget thing, but for trade n gift of components listed above, i might hav to get them the chickn nuggets or something..(unusure)~ 

29 minutes ago, MicroDotz said:

oh oh ohh yesterday ~~beepbeepbeepeepeebp~ BREAKING NEWS~!~ 

i met someone who is going to trade me an i5 3770  i7 3770 they have ina system for sale for my i5 3570, so theres extra more good processing coming to this tower O: and same person offered me a free gtx 970 (or some other 4gb card) cause there upgrading, (OMGWTF)(but they build lots of computers btw) so i learnt all this yesterday which was pretty unexpected thing for me... i mean shit id love someone foreev for 2-3$ chickn nugget thing, but for trade n gift of components listed above, i might hav to get them the chickn nuggets or something..(unusure)~ 

970 is good if you can get it for about 80$

what is the other 4GB card?

3 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

970 is good if you can get it for about 80$

what is the other 4GB card?

so i dont have a 970 but but but the other 4gb card (i have it now!!FREEOMMG) its a rx 560 aero itx OC 4gb, how do u think it compares to the sapphire r9 270x dual-x oc 2gb i have allready??? (in the new card i was just givens specifications it says "Multi-GPU Technology Crossfire™, 2-Way (Bridgeless)" but but wat does that mean?

..cause it has no typical connector on the top of the card so idk if it can be used in unison DX

edit: my mobo cant support it afaik, 

the card does display 4k (so tht wouldbe nice for desktop, not so much for gaming i guess) ~ wondering if it pwerforms better since its 4gb (vs 270x 2gb) and if i should swap them~ curious wat ppls think~

15 minutes ago, GGPLAYING said:

R9 270x is better but requires a better PSU.

im actually using it now, ran some benchmarking to put loads on it and a cpu stress test simultaneously and it hasent exploded and burnt my house down yet

im planning to get an overkill psu, but i might be getting a average 500w sooner than that jus so i can find good deal ona modular one. (an not be burnt alive frm a sparky exploding psu) 

On 2/17/2019 at 10:28 AM, GGPLAYING said:

R9 270x is better but requires a better PSU.

better than what?

On 2/17/2019 at 10:21 AM, MicroDotz said:

the card does display 4k (so tht wouldbe nice for desktop, not so much for gaming i guess) ~ wondering if it pwerforms better since its 4gb (vs 270x 2gb) and if i should swap them~ curious wat ppls think~

970 is better. but you can get better cards at that price. 970 actuallyonly has 3,5gb of usable memmory. 

other 4gb card (i have it now!!FREEOMMG) its a rx 560 aero itx OC 4gb, how do u think it compares to the sapphire r9 270x dual-x oc 2gb i have allready???

its not as fast. on the plus side it supports more videodecoding. other than that it has better power caracteristics. other than that its worse than the r9. 

(in the new card i was just givens specifications it says "Multi-GPU Technology Crossfire™, 2-Way (Bridgeless)" but but wat does that mean?

its crossfire (Nvidia equivelent is SLI). you can run 2 cards in tandum. but like SLI it has compatibility issue. 

..cause it has no typical connector on the top of the card so idk if it can be used in unison DX

crossfire does not require a bridge between GPUs. they communicate between eachother over PCIe

i love pinecones c:~

On 2/17/2019 at 12:09 PM, GoldenLag said:

970 is better. but you can get better cards at that price. 970 actuallyonly has 3,5gb of usable memmory. 

its not as fast. on the plus side it supports more videodecoding. other than that it has better power caracteristics. other than that its worse than the r9. 

its crossfire (Nvidia equivelent is SLI). you can run 2 cards in tandum. but like SLI it has compatibility issue. 

crossfire does not require a bridge between GPUs. they communicate between eachother over PCIe

so idid some pokin around the motherboard, and the second gpu i got (560) fits in the smoller slot at the back, since its open ended, wat does this mean ? (270x in normal slot closest to the cpu, and the rx560 is in the smoller dark blue slot on the outer left edge in this photo) 

even if my mobo(p8h67-m LX) does not support crossfire, would this allow me to use either if i booted into this dual gpu/hardware configuration with a better Powersupply ? 

im assuming i dont hav crossfire capabilities lol but i mean it fits? 

should i make new thread about this 

s-l640.jpg

2 minutes ago, MicroDotz said:

since its open ended, wat does this mean ? 

It means you can fit bigger cards. PCIe can run in 1x to 32x mode. Its interchangable. This means you can run 16x devices like the GPU in a 1x slot, if its open-ended. It just means the device has 1x worth of bandwidth. I will mention the last slot probably dont have many lanes allocated to it. Or its running in PCIe 2.0 instead of 3.0

5 minutes ago, MicroDotz said:

even if my mobo(p8h67-m LX) does not support crossfire, would this allow me to use either if i booted into this dual gpu/hardware configuration with a better Powersupply ? 

Yes you will be able to boot using 2 cards. The only benefit i see is watching full hd content on Netflix (since they use a prorietary hd format). You wont be Ble to run the cards in crossfire. You can run them in explicit multi-GPU mode in certain games, but like crossfire and sli. Its generally not recommended

You dont really need to make a new thread. I probably have all the answers that you need. Id try flipping the card to get a PSU or save up to get a different GPU. 

49 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

It means you can fit bigger cards. PCIe can run in 1x to 32x mode. Its interchangable. This means you can run 16x devices like the GPU in a 1x slot, if its open-ended. It just means the device has 1x worth of bandwidth. I will mention the last slot probably dont have many lanes allocated to it. Or its running in PCIe 2.0 instead of 3.0

Yes you will be able to boot using 2 cards. The only benefit i see is watching full hd content on Netflix (since they use a prorietary hd format). You wont be Ble to run the cards in crossfire. You can run them in explicit multi-GPU mode in certain games, but like crossfire and sli. Its generally not recommended

You dont really need to make a new thread. I probably have all the answers that you need. Id try flipping the card to get a PSU or save up to get a different GPU. 

ok sensei, so im about to try the card in the x1 slot, 

forthe past 15mins ive ben trying to run the card in my x16slot through hdmi(as i dont have display port or dvi-d, only dvi-i which wont fit) 

and its not posting , wen i swap the other 270x back in it posts n boots normally. 

is the card dead or is there something i need to do to get drivers prior to outputting video with it? ( also not 100% sure my mobo vga works but ill retest this seperately before trying the x1 slot)

=also it has no power connectors since its 80watts n runs off pcie power, but i tried disconnecting my slave hardrive,case fan,led and usb connectors to see if it wasent a power issue, but it didnt change anything and the 560 wouldent allow computer to post~  

edit:motherboard vga output does not work or is disabled (and physical connector block is a bit wobblesome) 

7 minutes ago, MicroDotz said:

also it has no power connectors since its 80watts n runs off pcie power, but i tried disconnecting my slave hardrive,case fan,led and usb connectors to see if it wasent a power issue, but it didnt change anything and the 560 wouldent allow computer to post~  

Most likely issue is that the mobo cant provide the required power. Hence it not posting. OEM motherboard usually cheap out on this. 

To get it to boot you will need a 1x to 16x adapter that has a 6 pin. 

At least that is what i suspect it is. 

10 minutes ago, MicroDotz said:

wen i swap the other 270x back in it posts n boots normally. 

The 270x having powercables from the PSU i presumer. 

On 2/17/2019 at 4:52 PM, GoldenLag said:

Most likely issue is that the mobo cant provide the required power. Hence it not posting. OEM motherboard usually cheap out on this. 

To get it to boot you will need a 1x to 16x adapter that has a 6 pin. 

At least that is what i suspect it is. 

The 270x having powercables from the PSU i presumer. 

so interesting thing happened,(i didnt die)

i put the cards both in at once, and it booted up normally(outputting through the 270) 

n i opened device manager and lookied under displaystufs and the 560 wasent there, so i scanned for new hardware and it appeared n after installing the driver for it simultaneously my monitor went on standyby as if it was switching outputs to it , then i tried switching hdmi cord into the 560 output and it didnt display anything either, i repeated the process second time after a reboot(cause i had no display at all) n same thing happened,

then i noticed in my device manager that the vga output was listed under unknown devices (and ethernet too)so i click update driver for vga and got a bsod, so i turned it off and removed the 560card and it booted into automatic repair after that and im back on windows right now, seems like back to normal.  it was fun but i dont really know wat jus happened tho lol :D derp epic fail

my amd radeon settings menu(crimson not adrenalin) seems to have gotten corrupt and wont let me adjust anything after trying the second gpu thing earlier DX< 

after 5mins into windows i get a message writing "radeon settings:host application has stopped working"aproblemcause the program  to nah nah blah blah nah nah derp"close programclicklyhere"

my mouse context menu now lists "amd radeon pro and amd firepro settings" and "amd radeon pro and amd firepro advanced settings" (instead of jus radeon settings) 

and when i click either one i get a warning box that says= no amd graphisc driver is installed, or the amd driver is not functioning properly. please install the amd driver appropriate for your hardware." 

i umm read alota things that switching drivers wen the one u had working was working fine; can result in bad things, but seeing as this is now popping up, err do i kinda need to i guess ? 

i kinda wanna get the crimson one i think i had before this happened for peace of mind but should i try putting adrenalin right now? or should i get the one i had functioning properly and thennn update to crimson, so as to rule out any weird issues that might arise if i jus went for adrenaline right away? 

:c fuckfuckfuck.

can i do last known good configuration to resolve this? (i also saved a disc image and a usb recovery drive 2days ago for contigency) or probably not?

waaahhhhxD

i talked to prsn that gave it to me and theyre going to give me a different gpu that uses the same processor, their hunch was that my mobo is a rare kind that dosent support the msi things; and i mentioned to them the psu im using is comparable to a low commitment-automated cremation device, so i still have some troubleshooting to do, as i dont understand why it corrupted my existing graphics drivers(yet the gpu still outputs basic desktop stufs through hdmi but no gpu intensive apps will launch ex:games,furmark,radeongraphics etc) i do see the gpu under hardware monitor displying 1-3%usage but not the normal drop down with core clocks n stufs i usually see. 

not sure the next steps to do... 

9 hours ago, MicroDotz said:

umm read alota things that switching drivers wen the one u had working was working fine; can result in bad things, but seeing as this is now popping up, err do i kinda need to i guess 

DDU and reinstall the driver for the 270x.

7 hours ago, MicroDotz said:

talked to prsn that gave it to me and theyre going to give me a different gpu that uses the same processor, their hunch was that my mobo is a rare kind that dosent support the msi things

That is certainly not the case. The issue you have is that the mobo cant deliver power to the GPU, which then refuses ti boot properly.

9 hours ago, MicroDotz said:

it was fun but i dont really know wat jus happened tho lol :D derp epic fail

Tl;dr of what i think happened. It crashed when trying to deliver the propler ammount of power to the 560 through the mobo. A 1x (cant never deliver the required power. I outlined tyis earlier), or probably not even the 16x cant do it due to being a OEM motherboard. The driver then got corrupt when it tried to initialize to a device that yiu didnt have working. 

Tl;dr DDU and reinstall drivers. Get s 1x to 16x slot adapter with extra power connevtors. And that should allow you to get the 16x to work like normal. Though you really wont benefit from having both working at the same time.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Kolink-Pci-e-1x-to-16x-Powered-Riser-Card-Mining-Rendering-Kit-Pro-1m/24012051705

On 2/18/2019 at 3:49 AM, GoldenLag said:

DDU and reinstall the driver for the 270x.

That is certainly not the case. The issue you have is that the mobo cant deliver power to the GPU, which then refuses ti boot properly.

Tl;dr of what i think happened. It crashed when trying to deliver the propler ammount of power to the 560 through the mobo. A 1x (cant never deliver the required power. I outlined tyis earlier), or probably not even the 16x cant do it due to being a OEM motherboard. The driver then got corrupt when it tried to initialize to a device that yiu didnt have working. 

Tl;dr DDU and reinstall drivers. Get s 1x to 16x slot adapter with extra power connevtors. And that should allow you to get the 16x to work like normal. Though you really wont benefit from having both working at the same time.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Kolink-Pci-e-1x-to-16x-Powered-Riser-Card-Mining-Rendering-Kit-Pro-1m/24012051705

kk (their hunch was powersupply of the mobo that didnt have the power, not tht it didnt support msi rndomly )

but anyway i ddu'd it and reinstalled adrenalin, has some nifty features actually... also took apart the 270x gpu and cleaned it and repasted its bottom back together.  ok tht sounds wrong but u get it ? right xD

runs cooler at idle and i set up custom fan curve that knocks down 5 deg celcius under load, havent defaulted the curve yet though stil tinkeringn but im gonna start world of tanks up today n game a bit i think. 

i tried alot of troubleshooting with the second 560 video card as it was a gift so i know it should work, but i couldent get it to, as u mentioned the power thing is the likely culprit now. so thts def in need of upgrade.

i have latest bios, i tried diff ports, diff cables, double checked original card worked in the port, toggled like 10 things in my bios with no luck and ultimately threw in the towel AND THEN OMG SUDDENLY THE 560 BEGAN WORKING*! (*as a paper weight). 

:B derp

do you know any reliable cheap modular or semi modular psus ? if not its ok i dont have monies to get one right now anyway. 

how yu determine if mobos are oem or not ? i think its asus p8h67-m lx tho mayb its out of some buisness model for all ik about it.

4 minutes ago, MicroDotz said:

do you know any reliable cheap modular or semi modular psus ? if not its ok i dont have monies to get one right now anyway. 

Corsair CX550 (2017) is a reliable cheap PSU. Its among the cheaper ones. It should be around 50$. 

6 minutes ago, MicroDotz said:

how yu determine if mobos are oem or not ? i think its asus p8h67-m lx tho mayb its out of some buisness model for all ik about it.

You may or may not have a OEM mobo. 

That one doesnt sound like an OEM one though.

On 2/19/2019 at 8:57 AM, GoldenLag said:

Corsair CX550 (2017) is a reliable cheap PSU. Its among the cheaper ones. It should be around 50$. 

hi sensei 

so hav some updates ?

i traded the i5-3750 for an i7-3770 for free and i got an asus rx 560-04gb traded for the other gpu that didnt works on the mobo tht was free too. (the 560 outputs in 4k 60fps(youtube vids) at least but im gonna compare it to the 270x (in terms of 1080p gaming soon) oh and got a free second 120gb ssd(so i removed the 320gb slave hdd) the i7 runs toastys, i repasted it twice to confirm this, but im also using synthetic fur bench marking so i cant say for certain its running hot in games. im sure its normal though, i adjusted the max cpu power at idle from 100 to 5% and the temps went down a little at least at idle. i def need heatsink in the future, for temporaryness i took a core2duo duct fan and aimed it right under the cpu heatsink and workin ona fan curve for it .(the i5 3570 is kinda cool how it goes into hibernate kinda mode where the fan isnt even needed to cool it at idle, so ill miss that, but overkill cpu come at a price i guess hoep its good in the future)  i still dnt hav psu but tried using 2 gpus and this time it would boot up, but no crossfire options were available on adrenalins(also thnks to mobo ? ) i could detect both, but one would be at 0% usage and constant idle temps no matter the tasks. but yaaa got an i7 c= holysheet

• 1 month later...
On 2/19/2019 at 8:57 AM, GoldenLag said:

senseiiiiiiiiii i have updated the build to :D something safe n stufs ??? plus now it kinda looks like the z420 workstation case too ~ (upgraded the mobo, heatsink and psu ) 

woop woop 

IMG_20190324_234539[2].jpg

IMG_20190324_234457[1].jpg

On 3/31/2019 at 12:11 PM, GoldenLag said:

looks good

yuss its pretty ! thanks c : can you share some wisdom on some gpus pricing with me ? i was looking at r9 390 (the 390x was expensive) , r9 fury( i think its 4gb sapphire nitro card? )  and msi 4gb rx 580 also ~ i have a r9 270x oc by sapphire (2gb) and a asus rx 560 too atm, was looking to ultimately upgrade in the future too though o: ! 

27 minutes ago, MicroDotz said:

i was looking at r9 390 (the 390x was expensive) , r9 fury( i think there 4gb cards? )  and msi 4gb rx 580 also ~ i have a r9 270x oc by sapphire (2gb) and a asus rx 560 too atm, was looking to ultimately upgrade in the future too though o: ! 

R9 fury is the faster of the cards. 

and R9 390 is the slowest and rx580 in the middle

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2019 at 1:06 PM, GoldenLag said:

R9 fury is the faster of the cards. 

and R9 390 is the slowest and rx580 in the middle

so was looking for 390x as per ur reccomendation but couldent find any so i almost got a 8gb 290x but i tested it before buying it and the driver install would cause black screen and upon further inspection the heatsink assembly had one stripped screw so in the end i didnt pull the trigger. . . (i bought a delid tool from them though lol)

theres still a gtx 970 for 120 in the pipes but im having trouble getting the person to let me test it so im prob not going for it either.

so i kept looking and figured maybe id reluctqntly take the next step up to the 200ish dollar marks and find a r9 fury 4gb or 980 (ti)

id like to stay with amd as i like to mod the bios but im not seeing many amd cards in this area,  

i dont know alot about nvidia cards but there seems to be some good ones in the category; i guess 1060 wouldent be worth it but 1070 or 1080 would its just i dont understand the used market prices on nvidias side tbh and 

say you couldent find 390/x wat would be good alternative to look for ? even if its lil better but ideally in the sub 300 market- some 4k would be cheerry in the buckets ...wait thts not a sayin, it would be cherry on top and i mean i like cherries ? 

(jus to be clear im poor af n would like to stay in the 50-100$ market but lol thts not gonna happen, maybe 200$ would be best pricing place but if somethings 300$ i wanna include it since i might be able to haggle it down to something id be able to afford is all) 

12 minutes ago, MicroDotz said:

i almost got a 8gb 290x

There is no 8GB 290x. There is only a 4GB variant. So either that is modded BIOS or missadvertisement. That or the more likely that you meant 390x.

Nvidia cards seem to overpriced on the used market in the case of some cards.