Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MicroDotz

System Upgrade :DDDD woop woop

Posted · Original PosterOP
On 2/1/2019 at 8:43 AM, GoldenLag said:

That had a but wierd powerlayout to say the least....

That might be an issue. Do you have the OG PSU?

Idealy what we are looking for is a 20/24 pin + 4/8 pins as those are standard. If you have the OG PSU you can run 2 PSUs. One of them only powering the CPU and motherboard

ii dont have an original gangsta' psu no, if it has stock psu would it be worth it?  but ya , as it sits it looks f-d up ;[

On 2/1/2019 at 8:49 AM, GoldenLag said:

@MicroDotz

You can get around it by buying 2 5$ adapters and figure out which 4 pin you can do without. Or 3 adapters and not worry about that.

Or run with 2 PSUs. The one you will be buying and the OG one.

o: adapters exist for this kinda thingy? thts sorta cool, prsn is seekign 80$ for the combo, but if its gonna be alot of psu hassle i need to rlly consider it. 

also i do have a psu designed for a pentium 4 but nevr  mentioned it since its prob only 2-300 watts max sorta thing, howeevr, i dont mind modifying the connectors if it would be sufficient with that i5(jus tht i doubt it lmao) 

27 minutes ago, MicroDotz said:

o: adapters exist for this kinda thingy? thts sorta cool, prsn is seekign 80$ for the combo, but if its gonna be alot of psu hassle i need to rlly consider it. 

Yes adapter exist. I will have to doublecheck if you need 8 pin to 4 pin adapter. You will need a 20/24 to 14 pin adapter.

Is 80$ for mobo and ram? Or 80$ for CPU, mobo and Ram?

29 minutes ago, MicroDotz said:

also i do have a psu designed for a pentium 4 but nevr  mentioned it since its prob only 2-300 watts max sorta thing, howeevr, i dont mind modifying the connectors if it would be sufficient with that i5(jus tht i doubt it lmao) 

Depends on what connectors it has, but prefferably you will use a  single PSU which will be the one you will be buying.

40 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Yes adapter exist. I will have to doublecheck if you need 8 pin to 4 pin adapter. You will need a 20/24 to 14 pin adapter.

Is 80$ for mobo and ram? Or 80$ for CPU, mobo and Ram?

Depends on what connectors it has, but prefferably you will use a  single PSU which will be the one you will be buying.

cpu ram mobo~(as pictured i guess) wat dyu think?(im guessing its from an optiplex kinda computer? )

new question=

do you know which sockets i need to look for if i plan to find a gen 2-3-4-5 intel i-somthing chip for them?

4 minutes ago, MicroDotz said:

cpu ram mobo~(as pictured i guess) wat dyu think?(im guessing its from an optiplex kinda computer? )

new question=

do you know which sockets i need to look for if i plan to find a gen 2-3-4-5 intel i-somthing chip for them?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1155 for second and third gen

and

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1150 for 4th gen

note that the earlier 2nd gen mobos may need BIOS update for third gen. so avoid 60 series board when buying 3rd gen

Op, look at ebay and look for an HP z420, or z400 if you really need a budget system, they are great especially the z420 variant.

What is your budget?

Current Build

Spoiler

System

• CPU
    Ryzen 2700x
  • Motherboard
    ASrock x470 Fatal1ty k4
  • RAM
    16GB
  • GPU
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Black
  • Case
    Corsair 570x
  • Storage
    480gb SSD
  • PSU
    Thermaltake Smart M 650W 80+ Bronze
  • Display(s)
    27 inch Dell S2716DG
  • Cooling
    Wraith Prism
  • Keyboard
    Razer Huntsman
  • Mouse
    Corsair M65 pro
  • Sound
    Beyerdynamic dt770
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

On 2/1/2019 at 11:35 AM, Emanbaird said:

Op, look at ebay and look for an HP z420, or z400 if you really need a budget system, they are great especially the z420 variant.

What is your budget?

On 2/1/2019 at 11:13 AM, GoldenLag said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1155 for second and third gen

and

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1150 for 4th gen

note that the earlier 2nd gen mobos may need BIOS update for third gen. so avoid 60 series board when buying 3rd gen

i got a sapphire dual x OC amd radeon r9 270x 2gb  (wow thts a mouthful) btw its not 290x like u mentioned i should look for, but i mean it lookd ok at the time.

do u know anything about how its performance stacks up in some gaming? 

3 minutes ago, MicroDotz said:

i got a sapphire dual x OC amd radeon r9 270x 2gb  (wow thts a mouthful) btw its not 290x like u mentioned i should look for, but i mean it lookd ok at the time.

do u know anything about how its performance stacks up in some gaming? 

its about the same as a gtx 1050. its not great. 

hopefully you got a good deal as the r9 290x is quite a lot faster than it

56 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

its about the same as a gtx 1050. its not great. 

hopefully you got a good deal as the r9 290x is quite a lot faster than it

it came with an i3 2100 and p8h67m-lx mobo with a 120g ssd and 4g ram with the 270x for 140 , i was filled with immediate regret aftr buying it lol but i took it all apart as im plannign to find i7 and going to pick up 16g of ram today. sorry if i let u down , i let myself down too

22 minutes ago, MicroDotz said:

it came with an i3 2100 and p8h67m-lx mobo with a 120g ssd and 4g ram with the 270x for 140 , i was filled with immediate regret aftr buying it lol but i took it all apart as im plannign to find i7 and going to pick up 16g of ram today. sorry if i let u down , i let myself down too

Its an okay deal. Flip the i3 and get a 2nd gen i7.

Ram is relativly cheap.

Then pick up a PSU down the road. Then you have the option of upgrading later on to a better GPU.

It wasnt a terrible deal considering what you got.

29 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Its an okay deal. Flip the i3 and get a 2nd gen i7.

Ram is relativly cheap.

Then pick up a PSU down the road. Then you have the option of upgrading later on to a better GPU.

It wasnt a terrible deal considering what you got.

it didnt feel so good to have an i3 lol but mayeb all together it isnt terrible? ~ idk... 

so ive been given access to a private recycling center, (i was jus going to shower before i go) im not sure wat to look for while imthere, i  got 2 ppl willing to sell me 2x8gb of ddr3 for 60$ but seeing as i might be headed to recycling center i may postpone that as i may be in for a better deal there. i have like 70$ now to put towards either a new cpu or ram and i need some fans for my case too, im not sure which i should prioritize as id like to go for one or the other. the powersupply i curryntly have is shite and im surprised it actually runs the gpu XD haha its lieka 400w dynex but it does so maybe ill need to upgrade it if i need a cpu. i was promised good deals from the recycling center owner, its not open to the public aparently , so i kinda feel lucky.... i jus dont wanan look like i dont know wat im doing in there wen i get there XD haha i understand older pcs, but im a newb for the new gen stufs and kinda wanna look into those for this rig, do u hav any advice? i know i could completely start from scratch too with access to this center, but i have a low end board i could mayb jus upgrade too... can u offer any advice as to wat ud do, or wat ud look for at the recycling place with 70$ and offers for 2x8gb for 600$ on the table elsewhere? 

6 minutes ago, MicroDotz said:

i  got 2 ppl willing to sell me 2x8gb of ddr3 for 60$

bad deal. it should be about 20$ max per 8GB stick. try to get it to 50$. if you are buying that is

8 minutes ago, MicroDotz said:

the powersupply i curryntly have is shite and im surprised it actually runs the gpu XD haha its lieka 400w dynex but it does so maybe ill need to upgrade it if i need a cpu.

try getting a new CPU before PSU. the r9 270x isnt super powerhungry. 

9 minutes ago, MicroDotz said:

i know i could completely start from scratch too with access to this center, but i have a low end board i could mayb jus upgrade too... can u offer any advice as to wat ud do, or wat ud look for at the recycling place with 70$ and offers for 2x8gb for 600$ on the table elsewhere? 

find Ram that they are selling (idk your Dim config, but try to get at least 8GB in there. 16 if the budget allows). (i am assuming you allready have a cooler). see if they have broken boards with CPUs in them. might be able to gamble on if the CPU works. see if you can get a harddrive. it is unlikely they are selling those, but if they do. look for 320GB or larger drives. 

idk the type of recycle center you are going to. if they only do fulltowers. see if you can get deals on broken fulltowers with good-ish hardware in them. just because the tower doesnt work doesnt mean everything is broken. could just be a bad mobo or PSU. 

also bring a phillips head screwdriver. you never know when you get the oppertunity to dismount stuff to check things like CPU models. 

48 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

bad deal. it should be about 20$ max per 8GB stick. try to get it to 50$. if you are buying that is

find Ram that they are selling (idk your Dim config, but try to get at least 8GB in there. 16 if the budget allows). (i am assuming you allready have a cooler). see if they have broken boards with CPUs in them. might be able to gamble on if the CPU works. see if you can get a harddrive. it is unlikely they are selling those, but if they do. look for 320GB or larger drives. 

idk the type of recycle center you are going to. if they only do fulltowers. see if you can get deals on broken fulltowers with good-ish hardware in them. just because the tower doesnt work doesnt mean everything is broken. could just be a bad mobo or PSU. 

also bring a phillips head screwdriver. you never know when you get the oppertunity to dismount stuff to check things like CPU models. 

this rlly helpful thanks 😄❤️  i was pissed ram is so expensive and stuf that tht actually seemed like a deal in the modern market, but ill ask at recycling place instead for the ddr3 deals, aparently the board has 2 slots and supports 10666 and 1333 or soemthing like that, (i think higher clocked 1600 ram will work, itll just underclock it though ? ) 

i hav 1tb laptop drive i was gonna possibly stick into the tower, and if not i wasgonna put the 1tb into my laptop and put the 500g the 1tb replaced into the tower im making, (there both 2.5inch sata drives...)

as i hav the 120g ssd i might keep the operating system on there and a game or two, and use a 1tb drive for personal files tht was the kinda setup i had in mind, but im not there yet despite having bunch of low end parts im gonna get wat my budget allows then build it back up with the new things n cross my fingers. too bad i cant overclock on this stufs...

i wonder if theyd let me walk out of the recycling center with amazing parts for 70$ lol 

it seems lieka very advanced center they hav ebay stores n stuff with higher end cpus and mobos 

20 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

i miss teh old days wen 8gb ddr sticks was 20$ but i couldent find anything better than 30$ for each, so i got 16gb total (2 8g sticks) for 60$ yesterday, picked up a miniscule hdd and some sodimm from recycling center too.  

i guess next month ima be looking at power supplies and processors at the recycle place,

ahh ya i appreciate your helps even tho i deviated from it a bit 😄 

On 2/7/2019 at 9:35 AM, GoldenLag said:

meow

heyyy heres peek inside

😄 

its i-3 2100 @3.1ghz with stock cooler lol

p8h67m-lx mobo +  16gb ddr3

120g ssd for windows and 320gb 7200rpm slave

saphire r9 270x oc 2gb

1500rpm intake fan suucking at the front real good.

+ thermaltake case and some bright led strips in there.

still looking for a lower cost fan to put in the upper chassis end and a psu...

3333.jpg.274bfe04c9b57ce9538709927b74bbfb.jpg

lets pretend wedont notice the powersupply thats destined to explode 😄

i have successfully build an overpowered poetato >:D heck yaa

On 2/1/2019 at 9:33 AM, GoldenLag said:

Yes, that is a good place to start.

See if you can push a bit on price. The prices i use for refrence cam be a bit optimistic, but it is what i value the components in the current market.

hayy i ended up snagging an I5-3570 and putting it into my mobo which didnt specifically list it as supported but the 3570k version was supported so i took a chance, i spread my drippy goop on it yesterday and fired it up and it WAS RECONIZED:DDDDDDDDDDD

i saw bunch of expensive 3470 @ 50$ but i dug deeper n got deal on the 3570   (it runs very cool too as the stock cooler has copper core and more power to the fan instead of the underpowered all aluminum i3 one on there before) 

so yee i think itll perform betr than the i3-2100 tht i had in there before and i can game prob allright with it :3
now its like an overpowered plate of beautiful french fries that all the girls want, instead of just a potato c: yay :D i think it ups the value of the build too, and seeing as i got it for 40$ i can sell the i-3 for like half that and it becomes pretty cheap upgrade. its almost exactly wat i wanted(reasonably speaking it is, since i cause cant afford overclocking boards n chips n gpus so easily)

!are u proud of me sensei * o*/

5 hours ago, MicroDotz said:

are u proud of me sensei * o*/

Yep. That system will keep you going a long time.

Upgrade the GPU once and you can keep this a veeery long time and still play modern titles at reasonable settings. 

15 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

Yep. That system will keep you going a long time.

Upgrade the GPU once and you can keep this a veeery long time and still play modern titles at reasonable settings. 

oh oh ohh yesterday ~~beepbeepbeepeepeebp~ BREAKING NEWS~!~ 

i met someone who is going to trade me an i5 3770  i7 3770 they have ina system for sale for my i5 3570, so theres extra more good processing coming to this tower O: and same person offered me a free gtx 970 (or some other 4gb card) cause there upgrading, (OMGWTF)(but they build lots of computers btw) so i learnt all this yesterday which was pretty unexpected thing for me... i mean shit id love someone foreev for 2-3$ chickn nugget thing, but for trade n gift of components listed above, i might hav to get them the chickn nuggets or something..(unusure)~ 

29 minutes ago, MicroDotz said:

oh oh ohh yesterday ~~beepbeepbeepeepeebp~ BREAKING NEWS~!~ 

i met someone who is going to trade me an i5 3770  i7 3770 they have ina system for sale for my i5 3570, so theres extra more good processing coming to this tower O: and same person offered me a free gtx 970 (or some other 4gb card) cause there upgrading, (OMGWTF)(but they build lots of computers btw) so i learnt all this yesterday which was pretty unexpected thing for me... i mean shit id love someone foreev for 2-3$ chickn nugget thing, but for trade n gift of components listed above, i might hav to get them the chickn nuggets or something..(unusure)~ 

970 is good if you can get it for about 80$

what is the other 4GB card?

3 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

970 is good if you can get it for about 80$

what is the other 4GB card?

so i dont have a 970 but but but the other 4gb card (i have it now!!FREEOMMG) its a rx 560 aero itx OC 4gb, how do u think it compares to the sapphire r9 270x dual-x oc 2gb i have allready??? (in the new card i was just givens specifications it says "Multi-GPU Technology Crossfire™, 2-Way (Bridgeless)" but but wat does that mean?

..cause it has no typical connector on the top of the card so idk if it can be used in unison DX

edit: my mobo cant support it afaik, 

the card does display 4k (so tht wouldbe nice for desktop, not so much for gaming i guess) ~ wondering if it pwerforms better since its 4gb (vs 270x 2gb) and if i should swap them~ curious wat ppls think~

15 minutes ago, GGPLAYING said:

R9 270x is better but requires a better PSU.

im actually using it now, ran some benchmarking to put loads on it and a cpu stress test simultaneously and it hasent exploded and burnt my house down yet

im planning to get an overkill psu, but i might be getting a average 500w sooner than that jus so i can find good deal ona modular one. (an not be burnt alive frm a sparky exploding psu) 

1 hour ago, MicroDotz said:

the card does display 4k (so tht wouldbe nice for desktop, not so much for gaming i guess) ~ wondering if it pwerforms better since its 4gb (vs 270x 2gb) and if i should swap them~ curious wat ppls think~

970 is better. but you can get better cards at that price. 970 actuallyonly has 3,5gb of usable memmory. 

other 4gb card (i have it now!!FREEOMMG) its a rx 560 aero itx OC 4gb, how do u think it compares to the sapphire r9 270x dual-x oc 2gb i have allready???

its not as fast. on the plus side it supports more videodecoding. other than that it has better power caracteristics. other than that its worse than the r9. 

(in the new card i was just givens specifications it says "Multi-GPU Technology Crossfire™, 2-Way (Bridgeless)" but but wat does that mean?

its crossfire (Nvidia equivelent is SLI). you can run 2 cards in tandum. but like SLI it has compatibility issue. 

..cause it has no typical connector on the top of the card so idk if it can be used in unison DX

crossfire does not require a bridge between GPUs. they communicate between eachother over PCIe