System Upgrade :DDDD woop woop

MicroDotz
On 1/31/2019 at 6:41 AM, Pasi123 said:

Too old. It supports up to Core2 Quad Q6700

is tht really terrible 
DX

On 1/31/2019 at 4:48 AM, Pasi123 said:

And make sure to get one like the biggest one on this picture.

do you know the average prices they go for btw? 

On 1/31/2019 at 6:59 AM, MicroDotz said:

is tht really terrible 
DX

For the stuff im suggesting to pair it with and for a glld experience. 

Yes

27 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

For the stuff im suggesting to pair it with and for a glld experience. 

Yes

kk, wat if someone offered you(or anyone reading) an i5 4670k but u needed a mobo, wat would u think(or do) o:"?

2 minutes ago, MicroDotz said:

kk, wat if someone offered you(or anyone reading) an i5 4670k but u needed a mobo, wat would u think(or do) o:"?

Depending if it was cheap or not, i might have fetched a mobo online and a cheap cooler.  Ram is easy enough

Youd need to spend money on getting an HDD (though people do occasionally sell those for nothing)

3 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Depending if it was cheap or not, i might have fetched a mobo online and a cheap cooler.  Ram is easy enough

Youd need to spend money on getting an HDD (though people do occasionally sell those for nothing)

been looking at 2-4tb ones , i was wondering if those seagate backup drives could be taken apart for a 4gb an put into computer, are they slower or something cause they seem less expensive soemtimes. 

also i found a r90 290x for 100$ is that a steal or soso? 

4 minutes ago, MicroDotz said:

also i found a r90 290x for 100$ is that a steal or soso? 

See if you can bargain it to 90. 100$ is a bit much.

Is it the red reference cooler or aftermarket? If its the red one you can definitivly ask to get it cheaper. See if you can offer 85 cash and come pick it up today or tomorrow. 

10 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

See if you can bargain it to 90. 100$ is a bit much.

Is it the red reference cooler or aftermarket? If its the red one you can definitivly ask to get it cheaper. See if you can offer 85 cash and come pick it up today or tomorrow. 

yus (thank you btw u the best) has the red cover with the lines on it; its kinda far i may seek another for a better price 

34 minutes ago, MicroDotz said:

yus (thank you btw u the best) has the red cover with the lines on it; its kinda far i may seek another for a better price 

https://goo.gl/images/7n4Pxw

This is what it looks like. Its a bit loud. So you can get those for a bit cheaper

6 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

https://goo.gl/images/7n4Pxw

This is what it looks like. Its a bit loud. So you can get those for a bit cheaper

o:

ya thts how it looks;4gb one seems it can do 4k or something i saw, thts kinda cool- prob not picking one up right now though, ima find motherboard for a base, do you know if any older boards support newer cpus? even if its amd ones ? 

and about the 4670k, i see them around 100$ on ebay, but dyu hav any idea wat a good price vs excelent price might be for one? 

1 minute ago, MicroDotz said:

do you know if any older boards support newer cpus? even if its amd ones

If you arent buying Ryzen. Dont bother with AMD.

1 minute ago, MicroDotz said:

ya thts how it looks;4gb one seems it can do 4k

It can do 1440p max. In modern titles. Dont expect 4k too much except older ones

and about the 4670k, i see them around 100$ on ebay, but dyu hav any idea wat a good price vs excelent price might be for one? 

Id pay about 50-70$. Its only 4 cores and 4 cores new cost like 80-90$ with Ryzen. 

You should look at local market and not ebay. You might find some local deals or schools and offices selling out

11 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

If you arent buying Ryzen. Dont bother with AMD.

It can do 1440p max. In modern titles. Dont expect 4k too much except older ones

Id pay about 50-70$. Its only 4 cores and 4 cores new cost like 80-90$ with Ryzen

You should look at local market and not ebay. You might find some local deals or schools and offices selling out

oh ok, they wanted same price or higher thn u can find them for on ebay so i jus passed~ 

anyways...

is i5 3470 (with a matching mobo) one of the processors u mentioned would be good to build off of o:?!

s i5 3470 (with a matching mobo) one of the processors u mentioned would be good to build off of o:?!

Yes, that is a good place to start.

3 minutes ago, MicroDotz said:

oh ok, they wanted same price or higher thn u can find them for on ebay so i jus passed~ 

anyways...

See if you can push a bit on price. The prices i use for refrence cam be a bit optimistic, but it is what i value the components in the current market.

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Yes, that is a good place to start.

See if you can push a bit on price. The prices i use for refrence cam be a bit optimistic, but it is what i value the components in the current market.

51243161_1018858441634829_7862820775093338112_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ht=scontent.fymq2-1.fna&oh=771996fce9235516f3140362a0354f3c&oe=5CF45533

jus noticing the i5 power supply thing looks non-standard... is tht deal breaker or would a regular or modular psu work anyways? 

On 2/1/2019 at 8:35 AM, MicroDotz said:

jus noticing the i5 power supply thing looks non-standard... is tht deal breaker or would a regular or modular psu work anyways? 

That had a but wierd powerlayout to say the least....

That might be an issue. Do you have the OG PSU?

Idealy what we are looking for is a 20/24 pin + 4/8 pins as those are standard. If you have the OG PSU you can run 2 PSUs. One of them only powering the CPU and motherboard

@MicroDotz

You can get around it by buying 2 5$ adapters and figure out which 4 pin you can do without. Or 3 adapters and not worry about that.

Or run with 2 PSUs. The one you will be buying and the OG one.

On 2/1/2019 at 8:43 AM, GoldenLag said:

That had a but wierd powerlayout to say the least....

That might be an issue. Do you have the OG PSU?

Idealy what we are looking for is a 20/24 pin + 4/8 pins as those are standard. If you have the OG PSU you can run 2 PSUs. One of them only powering the CPU and motherboard

ii dont have an original gangsta' psu no, if it has stock psu would it be worth it?  but ya , as it sits it looks f-d up ;[

On 2/1/2019 at 8:49 AM, GoldenLag said:

@MicroDotz

You can get around it by buying 2 5$ adapters and figure out which 4 pin you can do without. Or 3 adapters and not worry about that.

Or run with 2 PSUs. The one you will be buying and the OG one.

o: adapters exist for this kinda thingy? thts sorta cool, prsn is seekign 80$ for the combo, but if its gonna be alot of psu hassle i need to rlly consider it. 

also i do have a psu designed for a pentium 4 but nevr  mentioned it since its prob only 2-300 watts max sorta thing, howeevr, i dont mind modifying the connectors if it would be sufficient with that i5(jus tht i doubt it lmao) 

27 minutes ago, MicroDotz said:

o: adapters exist for this kinda thingy? thts sorta cool, prsn is seekign 80$ for the combo, but if its gonna be alot of psu hassle i need to rlly consider it. 

Yes adapter exist. I will have to doublecheck if you need 8 pin to 4 pin adapter. You will need a 20/24 to 14 pin adapter.

Is 80$ for mobo and ram? Or 80$ for CPU, mobo and Ram?

29 minutes ago, MicroDotz said:

also i do have a psu designed for a pentium 4 but nevr  mentioned it since its prob only 2-300 watts max sorta thing, howeevr, i dont mind modifying the connectors if it would be sufficient with that i5(jus tht i doubt it lmao) 

Depends on what connectors it has, but prefferably you will use a  single PSU which will be the one you will be buying.

40 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Yes adapter exist. I will have to doublecheck if you need 8 pin to 4 pin adapter. You will need a 20/24 to 14 pin adapter.

Is 80$ for mobo and ram? Or 80$ for CPU, mobo and Ram?

Depends on what connectors it has, but prefferably you will use a  single PSU which will be the one you will be buying.

cpu ram mobo~(as pictured i guess) wat dyu think?(im guessing its from an optiplex kinda computer? )

new question=

do you know which sockets i need to look for if i plan to find a gen 2-3-4-5 intel i-somthing chip for them?

4 minutes ago, MicroDotz said:

cpu ram mobo~(as pictured i guess) wat dyu think?(im guessing its from an optiplex kinda computer? )

new question=

do you know which sockets i need to look for if i plan to find a gen 2-3-4-5 intel i-somthing chip for them?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1155 for second and third gen

and

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1150 for 4th gen

note that the earlier 2nd gen mobos may need BIOS update for third gen. so avoid 60 series board when buying 3rd gen

Op, look at ebay and look for an HP z420, or z400 if you really need a budget system, they are great especially the z420 variant.

What is your budget?

Current Build

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

On 2/1/2019 at 10:35 AM, Emanbaird said:

Op, look at ebay and look for an HP z420, or z400 if you really need a budget system, they are great especially the z420 variant.

What is your budget?

On 2/1/2019 at 10:13 AM, GoldenLag said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1155 for second and third gen

and

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1150 for 4th gen

note that the earlier 2nd gen mobos may need BIOS update for third gen. so avoid 60 series board when buying 3rd gen

i got a sapphire dual x OC amd radeon r9 270x 2gb  (wow thts a mouthful) btw its not 290x like u mentioned i should look for, but i mean it lookd ok at the time.

do u know anything about how its performance stacks up in some gaming? 

3 minutes ago, MicroDotz said:

i got a sapphire dual x OC amd radeon r9 270x 2gb  (wow thts a mouthful) btw its not 290x like u mentioned i should look for, but i mean it lookd ok at the time.

do u know anything about how its performance stacks up in some gaming? 

its about the same as a gtx 1050. its not great. 

hopefully you got a good deal as the r9 290x is quite a lot faster than it

56 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

its about the same as a gtx 1050. its not great. 

hopefully you got a good deal as the r9 290x is quite a lot faster than it

it came with an i3 2100 and p8h67m-lx mobo with a 120g ssd and 4g ram with the 270x for 140 , i was filled with immediate regret aftr buying it lol but i took it all apart as im plannign to find i7 and going to pick up 16g of ram today. sorry if i let u down , i let myself down too

22 minutes ago, MicroDotz said:

it came with an i3 2100 and p8h67m-lx mobo with a 120g ssd and 4g ram with the 270x for 140 , i was filled with immediate regret aftr buying it lol but i took it all apart as im plannign to find i7 and going to pick up 16g of ram today. sorry if i let u down , i let myself down too

Its an okay deal. Flip the i3 and get a 2nd gen i7.

Ram is relativly cheap.

Then pick up a PSU down the road. Then you have the option of upgrading later on to a better GPU.

It wasnt a terrible deal considering what you got.

29 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Its an okay deal. Flip the i3 and get a 2nd gen i7.

Ram is relativly cheap.

Then pick up a PSU down the road. Then you have the option of upgrading later on to a better GPU.

It wasnt a terrible deal considering what you got.

it didnt feel so good to have an i3 lol but mayeb all together it isnt terrible? ~ idk... 

so ive been given access to a private recycling center, (i was jus going to shower before i go) im not sure wat to look for while imthere, i  got 2 ppl willing to sell me 2x8gb of ddr3 for 60$ but seeing as i might be headed to recycling center i may postpone that as i may be in for a better deal there. i have like 70$ now to put towards either a new cpu or ram and i need some fans for my case too, im not sure which i should prioritize as id like to go for one or the other. the powersupply i curryntly have is shite and im surprised it actually runs the gpu XD haha its lieka 400w dynex but it does so maybe ill need to upgrade it if i need a cpu. i was promised good deals from the recycling center owner, its not open to the public aparently , so i kinda feel lucky.... i jus dont wanan look like i dont know wat im doing in there wen i get there XD haha i understand older pcs, but im a newb for the new gen stufs and kinda wanna look into those for this rig, do u hav any advice? i know i could completely start from scratch too with access to this center, but i have a low end board i could mayb jus upgrade too... can u offer any advice as to wat ud do, or wat ud look for at the recycling place with 70$ and offers for 2x8gb for 600$ on the table elsewhere? 

6 minutes ago, MicroDotz said:

i  got 2 ppl willing to sell me 2x8gb of ddr3 for 60$

bad deal. it should be about 20$ max per 8GB stick. try to get it to 50$. if you are buying that is

8 minutes ago, MicroDotz said:

the powersupply i curryntly have is shite and im surprised it actually runs the gpu XD haha its lieka 400w dynex but it does so maybe ill need to upgrade it if i need a cpu.

try getting a new CPU before PSU. the r9 270x isnt super powerhungry. 

9 minutes ago, MicroDotz said:

i know i could completely start from scratch too with access to this center, but i have a low end board i could mayb jus upgrade too... can u offer any advice as to wat ud do, or wat ud look for at the recycling place with 70$ and offers for 2x8gb for 600$ on the table elsewhere? 

find Ram that they are selling (idk your Dim config, but try to get at least 8GB in there. 16 if the budget allows). (i am assuming you allready have a cooler). see if they have broken boards with CPUs in them. might be able to gamble on if the CPU works. see if you can get a harddrive. it is unlikely they are selling those, but if they do. look for 320GB or larger drives. 

idk the type of recycle center you are going to. if they only do fulltowers. see if you can get deals on broken fulltowers with good-ish hardware in them. just because the tower doesnt work doesnt mean everything is broken. could just be a bad mobo or PSU. 

also bring a phillips head screwdriver. you never know when you get the oppertunity to dismount stuff to check things like CPU models.