Need Advice for Networking Solution

Framed19

G'day LTT forum users!

I'm setting up a network for a small local business. However I have never built a commercial-grade network before. So I thought someone on here to give me some advice for said network.

It's for a small business that isn't based around computing, however it will need:

- 2 Computers for sales

- Server that can store a customer database (secure, especially since it needs to store sensitive medical data)

- Connection to the internet (duh)

- WiFi

- Video Surveillance 

- Daily on-site and off-site backups of customer, sales and surveillance data

- Also, can anyone recommend a backup service for off-site storage?

- Designed so it can be expanded later down the line

What I'm mainly looking for from you guys is advice on what hardware to use; Switches, Routers, WAPs, ethernet cabling, server hardware and backup techniques

I appreciate all advice and don't hesitate to ask for more info!!

Cheers

What os are you running on everything? Are you running ad?

Id use something like aws s3 or similar for backups.

Look at unifi for aps, good budget enterprise aps.

Id just get a 48 port gigabit poe switch, you probably don't need a 10gbe backbone. I have a netgear one that works fine for me, was about 300 usd.

Currently running a sonic wall tz600, not cheap though, look at edge routers as well, what feature do you need, bandwidth?

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What os are you running on everything? Are you running ad?

Id use something like aws s3 or similar for backups.

Look at unifi for aps, good budget enterprise aps.

Id just get a 48 port gigabit poe switch, you probably don't need a 10gbe backbone. I have a netgear one that works fine for me, was about 300 usd.

Currently running a sonic wall tz600, not cheap though, look at edge routers as well, what feature do you need, bandwidth?

- I don't know what you mean by "ad" (Sorry, new to this)

- Well sales machines will use windows

- Aws is probably a good option, however I have experience with GCP so I might use that.

- Unifi looks good, will probably use that 

- Does POE mean the switch gets its power from an ethernet connection? Does the building need to be wired for this?

- I live in Australia, so we don't get 10gbe, fastest speed possible is 100mb/s, not sure if businesses get higher speeds

- The tz600 is the firewall? (Once again, new to business side of networking)

Cheers

Just now, Framed19 said:
9 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

- I don't know what you mean by "ad" (Sorry, new to this)

active directory

Just now, Framed19 said:

I live in Australia, so we don't get 10gbe, fastest speed possible is 100mb/s, not sure if businesses get higher speeds

That is lan, not wan, your isp doesn't matter at all here.

1 minute ago, Framed19 said:

The tz600 is the firewall? (Once again, new to business side of networking)

yep, firewall + router.

You probably want to get someone in that knows what there doing and can advise you, 

Probably a good idea, a friend of mine owns the business and doesn't want to pay for a professional. I'll try and convince him, if not, I'll do more googling. The place only opens in 2 months so I have time.

2 minutes ago, Framed19 said:

Probably a good idea, a friend of mine owns the business and doesn't want to pay for a professional. I'll try and convince him, if not, I'll do more googling. The place only opens in 2 months so I have time.

Have good IT is really imortant, id really hunt for someone that knows what their doing. Ive seen a lot of small buinesses that have IT as a mess, I know you want to save money, but having crap IT can get expensive quick.