MOCA Networking Help

GatoDelFuego
On 12/2/2018 at 7:06 PM, Donut417 said:

Untitled Diagram.jpg

Hello,

I am interested in using a similar network layout in my home. This is my current setup. 1c74eaa977.png

I have a coax wire running into my garage from the outside, and a cutout in the wall which a router can be stored in. However, I know that connecting the router to my computers through Wi-Fi is awful, so I'm bypassing the garage box and just putting the router in my office. However, I want to set up a home media PC in my living room that can be connected to my office PC so I can use steam in-home streaming with little lag, and possibly for running a plex server later.

My plan was to use MOCA and put my router in the garage box so it can be out of sight. However, I still need ways to split my office coax cable into two for my two computers. Does a simple ethernet splitter out of the office MOCA adapter do this? Also, do I need to put a network switch between my router and the first MOCA connector? I've tried looking up cabling instructions on MOCA websites and they don't seem to be clear on if you can split the signal. Below is my drawing of what I believe I need for this, which would be three MOCA adapters (one input and two output). I would also need a network switch, to ensure that all these computers can be on the same home network as each other, but I'm unsure where to place it in this diagram.

1e39e1da1a.png

not an expert, and actually recently found out about moca adapter. wouldnt in theory you would just need to plug the router in your garage to the coax outlet, and then the two separate moca's in their respective rooms? 

*** after some googling i found out this https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/Tx17QU16Y9DO2IZ/ref=ask_ql_ql_al_hza

seems that its worked at least for some people. i think you would just need to put your modem out to a moca and then inside your home, place the two moca's in their respective rooms and in theory it should work?

please post an update if it works. im curious about your experience. im currently struggling with 200mbps using powerline adapters and its painfully slow. im thinking of switching to moca if its going to be an improvement of network speeds.

32 minutes ago, alonchis said:

not an expert, and actually recently found out about moca adapter. wouldnt in theory you would just need to plug the router in your garage to the coax outlet, and then the two separate moca's in their respective rooms? 

*** after some googling i found out this https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/Tx17QU16Y9DO2IZ/ref=ask_ql_ql_al_hza

seems that its worked at least for some people. i think you would just need to put your modem out to a moca and then inside your home, place the two moca's in their respective rooms and in theory it should work?

please post an update if it works. im curious about your experience. im currently struggling with 200mbps using powerline adapters and its painfully slow. im thinking of switching to moca if its going to be an improvement of network speeds.

Firstly you can have up to 16 Moca devices on a network. Secondly you need to make sure you have a moca filter on the main cable line coming in from the cable company, as you A) Dont want your moca signals going out over the cable company's network, B) As a result of A, having your neighbor have access to your moca network, and C moca filters provide some reflection, which helps the moca signal. 

Ive personally never used Moca adapters, I have done some research, but by the time I was going to try them, I was able to move my modem and router in to my room and that provided me a Ethernet connection. As for where to place adapters, you need to put one near the router, and at each point you need a connection. Keep in mind that you can use a switch as locations that have multiple devices on top of that, they do have moca adapters that have multiple Ethernet ports and Wireless built in, might be nice if you want to extend your wireless network. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Thanks for the advice folks. So much of the guides out there on the internet only go over the basics of this kind of networking--not really making it easy for "power users". So from a lot of researching, a coax signal can hold any number of device signals through it, as the moca adapter just flips any incoming traffic to coax. That means you can pair a moca adapter with an ethernet swtich to connect more devices.  (This review was pretty useful: https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R3AKBUGFGGTPX5/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B013J7O3X0)

This is looking like my final setup:

2b77e5f5d7.png

Bill of materials:

MOCA adapter x3

Ethernet splitter/network switch x2

MOCA filter x1

Coaxial splitter x1

My only fear would be that the coaxial splitter degrades the performance in some way--but no matter what, it will be a definite improvement over wireless. I'll be sure to update this thread with my results.

3 hours ago, GatoDelFuego said:

performance in some way--but no matter what, it will be a definite improvement over wireless. I'll be sure to update this thread with my results.

The moca filter actually causes moca signal to reflect back. So it helps with that. Plus unlike the cable cos signal, moca doesn't have to travel very far. From what I've read your looking at about 300 ft range adapter to adapter. 

is it even possible to run Ethernet cable to a central location? while moca ok in some situations you cant beat a Ethernet connection.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, project was completed! Everything worked completely perfectly. I now have instant connections between my upstairs office and my downstairs living room. My steam link saw a huge reduction in lag, and I can connect my game consoles to ethernet all while having my router out of the way. MOCA is a serious upgrade!

9 minutes ago, GatoDelFuego said:

Ok, project was completed! Everything worked completely perfectly. I now have instant connections between my upstairs office and my downstairs living room. My steam link saw a huge reduction in lag, and I can connect my game consoles to ethernet all while having my router out of the way. MOCA is a serious upgrade!

Happy to hear it.