pfSence and and VMware 14

im trying to use pfSence as a simple cache proxy in VMware 14 pro via squid plugin. my network is a simple cable modem attached to a linksys ea9200 router with the new box. it is my understanding all traffic must pass thru the box then to router.

i have 2 onboard LAN ports on the box. one directly from cable modem (wan) and the (wan) port on the ea9200 labeled blue plugged into the other as LAN. Pfsence detect both fine and works as far as itself.

the issue is the box has network but none of my clients do via WiFi and LAN admittedly, I don't know if im doing this right or if i have to use certain port on the router. I've tried several guides and certain i have VMware working right.

1544254916486-steelseries-rma.png

1z5orxj.png

There is no enemy. The foe on the battlefield is merely the manifestation of that which we must overcome. The doubt, and fear, and despair. Every battle is fought within. Conquer the battlefield that lies inside you, and the enemy disappears like the illusion it is.

If you just want a cache, any linux distro can do. You also don't need 2 nics, it does it all with dns.

If you want pfsense, you don't want the linksys box work as a router, thats what pfsense would do.

Your also gonna have to setup the virtual network adapters right, you don't seem to have done this here.

the host must stay windows hence the vm. i need the router WiFi capabilities not the DNS however, the 9200 has a bridge mode that enables open AP and i don't want that because of neighbors. I need 2 NIC's per Wendel's guide's on Level1Techs. one from WAN(cable modem) to box>>>>then box to 9200router assuming into it's wan port since it needs to think its getting it from the modem when it not.

as for the VM Nic's not sure if i have them set correctly but i did add 2 to it.

There is no enemy. The foe on the battlefield is merely the manifestation of that which we must overcome. The doubt, and fear, and despair. Every battle is fought within. Conquer the battlefield that lies inside you, and the enemy disappears like the illusion it is.

• 2 months later...

bump

One of the reasons why this may not be getting replies is because you can not get this working, it implies the rest of the process you're going to have 100 more questions. This is the "Easy" part, the rest of it can get a little more complicated.

Anywho since we all start somewhere I'll help as much as I can. Your first issue (thank you for the screenshot) is your VM is misconfigured. First you need to go into the virtual network editor and create 2 bridged networks. Label them accordingly... call one WAN, set it to bridge, and select the NIC that you will use for WAN. Call the next one LAN, set it to bridged, and assign the NIC you will use for LAN. 

The reason this isn't working is because while 1 adapter is bridged, the other is "host only" meaning only windows can see pfsense.