Nvidia cuts revenue projections by $500m

Belgarathian

Nvidia has cut revenue projections for quarter 4 of this financial year by $500m stating that the reason for the recast of projected revenue is slower sales in the Chinese gaming market and excess mid-range inventory left over from the crypto boom slowing the sales of Turing GPUs.

In Gaming, NVIDIA’s previous fourth-quarter guidance had embedded a sequential decline due to excess mid-range channel inventory following the crypto-currency boom.

However, deteriorating macroeconomic conditions, particularly in China, impacted consumer demand for NVIDIA gaming GPUs.  In addition, sales of certain high-end GPUs using NVIDIA’s new Turing™ architecture were lower than expected.

So to put it in Jensen's own words, "underwhelming... the performance is lousy and there's nothing new".

Nvidia should have expected this outcome when consumer pricing for the new Turing architecture took such a large leap that supply and demand relationship is elastic (as it's a luxury good), and the performance benefit in most cases isn't significantly better to justify the price increase unless ray tracing gives you wet dreams. I mean that's economics 101.

After the announcement Nvidia shares predictably dropped ~13.5% in value closing out the 28th Jan 19 with a market cap of $84b down 44% since Oct 2nd, 2018.

image.png.2d82256a95795d52452f4286319a7e76.png

https://nvidianews.nvidia.com/news/nvidia-updates-financial-guidance-for-fourth-quarter-of-fiscal-year-2019

3 minutes ago, Belgarathian said:

"underwhelming... the performance is lousy and there's nothing new".

What comes around.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Good, NVIDIA is a horrible company that is trying to exterminate competition through highly illegal practices. I'm happy to see this.

__             __
   .-'.'     .-.     '.'-.
 .'.((      ( ^ `>     )).'.
/`'- \'._____\ (_____.'/ -'`\
|-''`.'------' '------'.`''-|
|.-'`.'.'.`/ | | \`.'.'.`'-.|
 \ .' . /  | | | |  \ . '. /
  '._. :  _|_| |_|_  : ._.'
     ````` /T"Y"T\ `````
          / | | | \
         `'`'`'`'`'`

Time to buy Nvidia stock. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

2 minutes ago, Belgarathian said:

>So to put it in Jensen's own words, "underwhelming... the performance is lousy and there's nothing new".

>Nvidia shares predictably dropped ~13.5%

Image result for lisa su

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

10 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Image result for lisa su

Something tells me that the Doctor herself isn't happy about the coin crash either which is likely the main reason for the adjustment here.

-------

Current Rig

-------

For those unfamiliar with stocks, you can't look at one in isolation. The whole market is moving up and down too. AMD are down 8% also. nvidia's 14% might be higher, but the market is moving downwards at the moment.

amdstock.png.3f6e8bcbadba49cf0bdf1ac7914e13df.png

Edit: now I actually bothered to look at the wider market, it isn't changing as much as these two are... intel hardly budged, nor are some of the major indexes I've looked at.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

27 minutes ago, Belgarathian said:

sales of certain high-end GPUs using NVIDIA’s new Turing™ architecture were lower than expected.

because they are expensive as hell with no real budget option

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

24 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

not at all, stock is still widely overvalued and will fall more in the months to come. This drop was not unjustified, and therefore there won't be a bounceback tomorrow, at least not by more than a couple percentage points, if even

6 minutes ago, porina said:

For those unfamiliar with stocks, you can't look at one in isolation. The whole market is moving up and down too. AMD are down 8% also. nvidia's 14% might be higher, but the market is moving downwards at the moment.

Edit: now I actually bothered to look at the wider market, it isn't changing as much as these two are... intel hardly budged, nor are some of the major indexes I've looked at.

amd dropped because of nvidia's revenue downgrade, investors are expecting the same to happen to amd

15 minutes ago, porina said:

Very true... It's also a good idea to look at 12 month and 5 year trends.

image.png.0f6cb22623f4a8199db356a1bd9beb9e.png

image.png.3a16f333a4bfcc5d448aeb7f999cdb4b.png

13 minutes ago, COTG said:

amd dropped because of nvidia's revenue downgrade, investors are expecting the same to happen to amd

Likely, but AMD should have some resistance as they're part GPU, part CPU, unlike nvidia. 

2 minutes ago, Belgarathian said:

Very true... It's also a good idea to look at 12 month and 5 year trends.

It seems human to do so, but I've never been good at telling the future by looking at the past. If I do, I'd still look relative to competitors or applicable indexes to get a feel for the direction.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, porina said:

Likely, but AMD should have some resistance as they're part GPU, part CPU, unlike nvidia. 

It seems human to do so, but I've never been good at telling the future by looking at the past. If I do, I'd still look relative to competitors or applicable indexes to get a feel for the direction.

The best indicator IMO is a well thought through and communicated growth strategy and a stellar leadership team with a history of success.

I am shocked that video cards without a compelling performance bump in a given price tier, or those in an outlandishly priced new tier, have not sold well. Shocked, I tell you.

Cue the "but muh DLSS fineWine"

Also people need to remember that its mid-range cards left in channel stock, they don't personally have warehouses full of unsold cards, they are still sitting on the shelves in retail stores.  

The reduction in that inventory and its impact on the business have proceeded largely inline with management’s expectations. However, deteriorating macroeconomic conditions, particularly in China, impacted consumer demand for NVIDIA gaming GPUs.

In other words the decline in Chinese sales is the cause for the excess stock, they aren't two separate issues and there is no mention of mining in the report.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

33 minutes ago, mr moose said:

In other words the decline in Chinese sales is the cause for the excess stock, they aren't two separate issues and there is no mention of mining in the report.

It's literally the first sentence of the opening paragraph and quoted directly from the release in my post.

In Gaming, NVIDIA’s previous fourth-quarter guidance had embedded a sequential decline due to excess mid-range channel inventory following the crypto-currency boom.

nVidia have been way too overvalued and therefore unjustified because crypto frenzy on the GTX1000 series.

As I been saying many times: when those scumbags are so used to the increased profits by increasing the prices of the GPU's in the crypto craze, they simply can't and won't accept the fact that the crypto bubble will collapse one day. And the normal gamers simply have no choice (more like they won't wait) than paying up for the high prices. And the RTX prices won't help either, they are simply way too overpriced and not worth at all. DLSS is for now nothing but a buzz word and hype.

nVidia, you're underwhelming too.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

28 minutes ago, Belgarathian said:

It's literally the first sentence of the opening paragraph and quoted directly from the release in my post.

I stand corrected.   I did not read your sentence I went straight to the article.

However that sentence doesn't exactly correlate with the following claim of being "within expectations" except for economics in China.  So which is issue? sales in china or mining?  If their stocks in the channel are within expectations then mining is not the reason for the adjustment because they claim that was within expectations. They said so not only just now  but also early that such stock would be under control again by February this year. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

9 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I stand corrected.   I did not read your sentence I went straight to the article.

However that sentence doesn't exactly correlate with the following claim of being "within expectations" except for economics in China.  So which is issue? sales in china or mining?  If their stocks in the channel are within expectations then mining is not the reason for the adjustment because they claim that was within expectations. They said so not only just now  but also early that such stock would be under control again by February this year.  

It's a combination of the following having weaker performance than predicted, rather than just one:

• Chinese gaming card sales
  • Data center
  • Turing card sales
  • Excess inventory

4 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

>me when it dipped from $180 to $172

4 hours ago, porina said:

The whole market is moving up and down too

only tech stocks, and its because of Nvidia's guidance update. If people aren't buying many Nvidia's products, they probably aren't buying other tech products either.

Combined with the middling reception of the RTX 2000 series, if AMD could just muster some better competition, Nvidia might push 7nm products out the door a bit faster instead of coasting along like they have been with Pascal.

4 hours ago, Belgarathian said:

unless ray tracing gives you wet dreams

Still not enough.  You have seen the prices, right?  For that much you're looking anywhere from half a dozen BJs to the full Wienstein treatment in the flesh.

1 hour ago, Belgarathian said:

It's a combination of the following having weaker performance than predicted, rather than just one:

• Chinese gaming card sales
  • Data center
  • Turing card sales
  • Excess inventory

No, I mean, they specifically mention crypto, however they also addressed that in their last report and in this report they say the inventory is as expected except for the Chinese market.  Both of those things cannot be true at the same time.  Either the inventory is as expected ignoring the effects of the Chinese market or their inventory is not going as expected.

44 minutes ago, mr moose said:

No, I mean, they specifically mention crypto, however they also addressed that in their last report and in this report they say the inventory is as expected except for the Chinese market.  Both of those things cannot be true at the same time.  Either the inventory is as expected ignoring the effects of the Chinese market or their inventory is not going as expected.

They mentioned mid-range specifically as being the one that is in oversupply, but clearing out as expected (they didn't say Chinese inventory as far as I can tell). They also mentioned that Chinese market is performing lower than expected due to poor economic conditions. So it sounds like cryptocurrency is only mentioned to state that it's responsible for the mid-range oversupply but not the current poor performance compared to projections. Given that the Turing is cited as performing poorly across the board it sounds like they're suggesting that everybody who would have purchased that ended up purchasing Pascal cards, which would have resulted in the inventory levels clearing as expected.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |