Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
_StrikE_

Metro Exodus exclusivity deal with Epic Store, But Steam preorders will still be fulfilled

3 minutes ago, Chett_Manly said:

They made them do it! By offering them a better deal.

And there is no such thing as console exclusivity on PC. No one is requiring you to spend hundreds of dollars on a new piece of hardware just to play the game. You have to download an app for free. 🤦‍♂️

A free app that has significantly less features then another free app.

4 minutes ago, CyanideInsanity said:

A free app that has significantly less features then another free app.

Means its the same as having to spend $200-$500 on a new console to play a game... Sure... the lack of Achievements is the same as having to buy hardware 🤦‍♂️

Honest question, when Epic has cloud saves and achievements later this year will you still be complaining about games not coming to Steam? Is that really the sticking point?

15 minutes ago, Chett_Manly said:

What is with people using words like Forced, Made, Demand... why are you illogically and obviously trying to make this out as Epic doing something terrible to the Publisher/Developers here, when they are offering them a way to make more money on their game. 

Why are you trying to make the publisher out to be some victim of a better distribution deal? Its really quite laughable.

Because as you seem unwilling to understand consumers don't generally like it when deals are made at our expense. There is literally no benefit to buying from epic over steam other than the artificial delay on steam. In fact its stuff like this that generally makes people think "fuck me? Alright then fuck you too."

Edit:Right a $10 discount here. Too bad they decided not to use that as leverage against steam...

Meh. I don't stand to gain literally anything at all by buying from the Epic Store instead of Steam. Not one, single thing.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, Chett_Manly said:

What is with people using words like Forced, Made, Demand... why are you illogically and obviously trying to make this out as Epic doing something terrible to the Publisher/Developers here, when they are offering them a way to make more money on their game. 

Why are you trying to make the publisher out to be some victim of a better distribution deal? Its really quite laughable.

Lol? They are greedy fucks, that's what I think about the publisher. Instead of guaranteed userbase, better functionality and convenience for the users, they went with store that gives them bigger cut if they fuck over their consumers with exclusivity. And they went with it. If you think I feel sorry for them, you're greatly mistaken. I'm not sorry for them, I despise them coz they are sellouts who went with t. And all the stunts they did afterwards turned whole thing into absolute shitshow. You don't talk down to your fans and consumers like they did, throwing tantrums and shit. I know bunch of fans will buy it regardless, but I can guarantee you A LOT of people won't buy it out of principle. Me being one of them.

Lol? They are greedy fucks, that's what I think about the publisher. Instead of guaranteed userbase, better functionality and convenience for the users, they went with store that gives them bigger cut if they fuck over their consumers with exclusivity. And they went with it. If you think I feel sorry for them, you're greatly mistaken. I'm not sorry for them, I despise them coz they are sellouts who went with t. And all the stunts they did afterwards turned whole thing into absolute shitshow. You don't talk down to your fans and consumers like they did, throwing tantrums and shit. I know bunch of fans will buy it regardless, but I can guarantee you A LOT of people won't buy it out of principle. Me being one of them.

22 minutes ago, ZacoAttaco said:

I think the worse crime is that rather than making a compelling and competitive client to compete against Steam, they are just using the mountains of money they are receiving from Fortnite to muscle their way into the market. In this case 'forcing' their customers to use an unfinished and unsuitable game client.

Which is exactly how Microsoft got into the console business btw: Using just brute force through their comparatively endless supply of cash to buy themselves enough desirable titles.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, RejZoR said:

So the publisher is greedy for taking an exclusivity deal, but Valve is not greedy for demanding so much to begin with?

ALSO THEY ARE BOTH BUSINESSES, SELLING A PRODUCT, MAKING MONEY IS THE ENTIRE POINT!

20 minutes ago, Chett_Manly said:

They made them do it! By offering them a better deal.

And there is no such thing as console exclusivity on PC. No one is requiring you to spend hundreds of dollars on a new piece of hardware just to play the game. You have to download an app for free. 🤦‍♂️

Right, whatever you say you've proven exactly how worthy of a user you are here.

You won't miss me, bye.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just now, Chett_Manly said:

So the publisher is greedy for taking an exclusivity deal, but Valve is not greedy for demanding so much to begin with?

ALSO THEY ARE BOTH BUSINESSES, SELLING A PRODUCT, MAKING MONEY IS THE ENTIRE POINT!

Valve provides a better service. They can and I understand them for asking for a larger cut. They still don't demand exclusivity. Epic does.

2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Which is exactly how Microsoft got into the console business btw: Using just brute force through their comparatively endless supply of cash to buy themselves enough desirable titles.

For which they were and still are criticized. It's even worse with consoles where you have to buy 3 freaking different consoles because of retarded exclusives if you want to play all games. Which is why I only own PS2 which I bought cheap at its EOL and basically refuse to buy anything else.

1 minute ago, RejZoR said:

Valve provides a better service. They can and I understand them for asking for a larger cut. They still don't demand exclusivity. Epic does.

Demand...

Image result for princess bride you keep using that word gif

Valve actually doesn't take 30% cut always, they have tiered rates in revenue-sharing (30% from anything selling <10M$, 25% from selling 10-50M$ and 20% from anything selling >50M$).

But as the 4A Games dev has said that we are pirates if we don't buy the game...

Spoiler

😆

Just now, Thaldor said:

Valve actually doesn't take 30% cut always, they have tiered rates in revenue-sharing (30% from anything selling <10M$, 25% from selling 10-50M$ and 20% from anything selling >50M$).

But as the 4A Games dev has said that we are pirates if we don't buy the game...

Reveal hidden contents

😆

Epic's cut is 12%, and that is without the exclusivity offer. I'd bet the final cut is below 10%, compared to 20% if it sold over a million on Steam. Though that Epic is the better deal should be obvious from them taking the deal.

Just now, RejZoR said:

For which they were and still are criticized. It's even worse with consoles where you have to buy 3 freaking different consoles because of retarded exclusives if you want to play all games. Which is why I only own PS2 which I bought cheap at its EOL and basically refuse to buy anything else.

I do not think I can use this talking point any more with

1) Games being exclusive to Origin, Battle.net and now Epic games store

2) Significant and substantial-enough-to-matter differences in performance depending on the GPU chip you happen to have be it better for Nvidia or better for AMD titles

Until very recently, even desirable features like Adaptive Sync were sequestered to hardware vendors only and for a while many (though not I mind you, I always predicted VR would fail) predicted VR would create yet another layer of separation and exclusivity

Finally this is not intentional but one could say you have no way to effectively game on anything but Windows today. You can game on Linux but I wouldn't qualify it as effectively as it's still fairly hit and miss and overall wonky and delayed.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, Thaldor said:

But as the 4A Games dev has said that we are pirates if we don't buy the game..

Yeah, that was pretty tone-deaf. I was going to buy the game in a year once it's available on Steam, but now I'm not that sure; I don't particularly appreciate being called a pirate for no reason.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, CyanideInsanity said:

Yes demand. Can you not understand implied context?

The implied context that Epic demanded the poor publisher to sign the deal, forced them into, made them do it, they didn't want the better financial terms at all, they were blackmailed!

Yeah I got your context, its just blatantly false. They didn't have to take the exclusivity deal, they could have just sold it on Epic too at the 12%, they got offered better terms for exclusivity, they decided it was worth it.

5 minutes ago, Chett_Manly said:

Epic's cut is 12%, and that is without the exclusivity offer. I'd bet the final cut is below 10%, compared to 20% if it sold over a million on Steam. Though that Epic is the better deal should be obvious from them taking the deal.

Considering the windspeeds and the amount of rain in the shitstorm, they are going to get less than they would have gained from Steam.

10 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Yeah, that was pretty tone-deaf. I was going to buy the game in a year once it's available on Steam, but now I'm not that sure; I don't particularly appreciate being called a pirate for no reason.

I know cliffy b is no longer part of epic, and I wouldn't be surprised that it no longer is part of any of epic's higher ups opinion, but I find it a touch fitting, as the reason gears 2 never made it to pc is because cliffy b thought that anyone who can put a pc together knows how to download games and is a pirate.

3 minutes ago, Thaldor said:

Considering the windspeeds and the amount of rain in the shitstorm, they are going to get less than they would have gained from Steam.

Yes it may turn out to be worse than they anticipated due to Steam user backlash. It will be interesting to see how the sales go, and if Epic tries to counter the backlash by providing it better visibility and promotion in the store. Maybe even do a Fortnite tie in.

20 minutes ago, Chett_Manly said:

Yes it may turn out to be worse than they anticipated due to Steam user backlash. It will be interesting to see how the sales go, and if Epic tries to counter the backlash by providing it better visibility and promotion in the store. Maybe even do a Fortnite tie in.

If only epic could've shown us why buying from them is better than from steam. Too bad at every turn they've made me not want to support them.

Update : Metro Exodus issues an apology, doesn't really change anything, but here's one anyway. 

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sqq1h9

The recent decision to move Metro Exodus from Steam to the Epic Game Store was made by Koch Media / Deep Silver alone.

The recent comments made by a member of the 4A Games development team do not reflect Deep Silver’s or 4A Games’ view on the future of the franchise. They do reflect the hurt and disappointment of a passionate individual who has seen what was previously nothing but positive goodwill towards his work turn to controversy due to a business decision he had no control over. We respectfully ask that any and all valid feedback over this decision is directed at Koch Media / Deep Silver, and not the developers at 4A Games.

The future release strategy of the Metro series lies with Koch Media / Deep Silver. Our decision to partner with Epic Games was based on the goal of investing in the future of the series and our development partner at 4A Games. We have every intention of continuing this franchise, and a PC version will always be at the heart of our plans.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Intel i7 4790K (4.0 GHz) | MSI Z97-GAMING 5 | Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3-1866 2x8GB | Asus GeForce GTX 780 Ti DirectCU II OC | Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB | Corsair RM 850W | Corsair H90 94.0 CFM | Logitech® Wireless Combo MK330 | Cooler Master HAF XM | Dell S2240L 60Hz 21.5 IPS | 

PCPartPicker 

1 minute ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

Update : Metro Exodus issues an apology, doesn't really change anything, but here's one anyway.

Meh. It just reads like any typical damage-control and, as such, carries about nil weight in my eyes.

12 hours ago, Chett_Manly said:

It is loads better, Epic's exclusivity terms would have to have been far far better. Possibly even paying for them to put the game on their platform and taking no cut at all. 

30% of all revenue vs 12% is a big deal.

But, Steam doesn't charge 30% of all revenue. Steam's 30% applies only to the first $10 million of sales, which is a drop in the bucket for a title like Metro Exodus. As soon as ME clears $10 million in sales, Valve's next fee tier of 25% will be bringing the ME publisher and developer more money than Epic's 12% fee. This is because ME was listed on Steam for $60 while it is on Epic for $50.

By the time ME will have sold 1 million copies on Steam, it will have made DS / 4A $1 million USD more than they would get from 1 million copies sold on Epic. And each subsequent million copies sold on either platform would see DS / 4A getting $4 million more on Steam than on Epic.

Here's the full break-down:

Valve's fee is 30% for the first $10 million, 25% for the next $40 million, and then 20% for all sales after $50 million in sales revenue.

1 million $50 copies sold through Epic = $50,000,000 total = $44,000,000 to 4A and Deep Silver

1 million $60 copies sold through Steam = $60,000,000 total = 7,000,000 (30%) + 30,000,000 (25%) + 8,000,000 (20%) = $45,000,000 to 4A and Deep Silver

4 million Epic sales of a $50 game = $200,000,000 total revenue, with $44 per copy going to the publisher = $176,000,000 going to 4A and Deep Silver

4 million Steam sales of a $60 game = $240,000,000 total revenue, with:

$10 million with a fee of 30% = $42 per copy going to the publisher = $7,000,000 going to 4A and Deep Silver

$40 million with a fee of 25% = $45 per copy going to the publisher = $30,000,000 going to 4A and Deep Silver

$190 million with a fee of 20% = $48 per copy going to the publisher = $152,000,000 going to 4A and Deep Silver

For a total of $189,000,000 going to 4A and Deep Silver

4 million $50 copies sold on Epic = $176 million to the publisher and developer

4 million $60 copies sold through Steam = $189 million to the publisher and developer

12 hours ago, Chett_Manly said:

Yes and the developers will make more money, and the PC platform will become lucrative, and more developers will look to it as a viable option and put out more games, put out better games. 

That, or the publishers will pocket the extra money.

We've been down this road before, when PC gaming first went digital when Valve launched Steam: Gamers weren't happy about having their games tied to a digital service, but developers and publishers assured gamers that the money they save by delivering games digitally would mean that savings could be passed on to gamers.

But, it didn't happen. Instead, games continued to be marketed at the same price while publishers pocketed all the gains for themselves. And the difference in the cost to publish a game from physical copies (85% of sale price) to digital copies (30% of sale price) was a lot bigger than the different in cost of Steam's 30/25/20% and Epic's 12%.

And don't be misled by the $50 price of Metro Exodus on Epic - it's just a promotional gimmick to build Epic's customer base in the early stages of the platform and is going to be a part of the exclusivity deal terms between Epic and Deep Silver.

As the numbers in the first-half of this post show, THQ / Deep Silver / 4A are making less profit off of sales on a $50 game with a 12% fee than they would from a $60 on Steam with a 30/25/20% fee. THQ / Deep Silver expect to make up for their loss of profits from selling ME at $50 with whatever pile of money Epic offered them in exchange for agreeing to make ME exclusive to Epic and also list it for $50.